Hi, I'm planning to be working in music projects hat dwell into many genres such as hip hop, metal, jazz, rock and so on just so I can become more open minded as a musician. But, the thing is that when it comes to drumming ( the thing Im going to be focus on) Im not sure if I should stick with actual drumming or should I stick with using a drum machine? Please help me out here everyone because this could help me a lot in which ones would be better off and Im a bit confused as well so maybe you can give your own thought about it and explain it.

Thanks everyone
Last edited by swordsman14 at Sep 5, 2009,
real drums are usually better....
enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
If you're going for musical authenticity and quality then go for real drums, if you want simplicity and ease of use then use a drum machine, as it is very easy to program new beats and change parts when using artificial drums, but they never sound the same as real drums, to me at least
drum machines were intended to replace a drummer. they are 100% accurate. they do not swing. they do not do fills. they do nothing except allow you to sound like you have a drummer. an actual drummer will sound unique, have his own style, can do fills and swing, and could even drum solo. and anyways, guess what looks better onstage?

go for drums.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Real drummers will have more groove and dynamic and whatnot, but you can program the drums to sound pretty close.

Plus, you need pretty decent equipment to record drums well, in my experience.

EDIT: I'd go for real drums.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
Use both. If the song sounds better with really drums, use real drums. If the song sounds better with a drum machine, use a drum machine.

This. a thousand times this.

It really can be a context sort of thing. Sometimes you need a song with bombastic crash and thundering toms or something. Sometimes you need that tinny tic-tic sound, or intricate lines that would make a regular drummer's head explode. Hell, you can have both drummer and machine playing at the same time, like 65daysofstatic and Radiohead do sometimes.
So, if the drum machine can do a lot of the stuff of the real drums, are there really any pros and cons between them? Oh, and I want my sound to be as original as possible and have a really punchy tone, also during these times of music, it seems like so many people are just replicating one another. And I will be working with all sorts of musicians so I would want to communicate them "musically" if that makes any sense. But yeah, please everyone keep posting I really want to have as much info provided as possible to choose which I would be better off in the long run.
Last edited by swordsman14 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by maXterbat0r
This. a thousand times this.

It really can be a context sort of thing. Sometimes you need a song with bombastic crash and thundering toms or something. Sometimes you need that tinny tic-tic sound, or intricate lines that would make a regular drummer's head explode. Hell, you can have both drummer and machine playing at the same time, like 65daysofstatic and Radiohead do sometimes.

I was about to mention 65daysofstatic too.

Drum machines aren't entirely about being an alternative to a drummer, they have a different tone and style entirely. It really depends on the song which you think will work.
VS threads are against the rules in the pit just so you know.
Goodness gracious me!
Quote by MadClownDisease
I was about to mention 65daysofstatic too.

Drum machines aren't entirely about being an alternative to a drummer, they have a different tone and style entirely. It really depends on the song which you think will work.

How is a drum machines tone and style different from regular drums?
Quote by swordsman14
How is a drum machines tone and style different from regular drums?

For example, drum machines will be spot on, drummers don't hit every note with the same force precisely on the beat.
Use a real drummer. Otherwise who do you blame when you mess up?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Bizarro
VS threads are against the rules in the pit just so you know.

You know, that's usually me who posts that, but I don't see this as a versus thread really.

It depends on the style of the track, TS. You can even use both if you want. If you need a deep, booming kick a drum machine will be better, whereas a bass drum just sounds right for other stuff. For example.

If you're in doubt, try both and pick what you like best

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I think I've decided I'll stick to playing actual drums, hopefully I made the wise choice too
Quote by the humanity
drum machines were intended to replace a drummer. they are 100% accurate. they do not swing. they do not do fills. they do nothing except allow you to sound like you have a drummer. an actual drummer will sound unique, have his own style, can do fills and swing, and could even drum solo. and anyways, guess what looks better onstage?

go for drums.

Genghis Tron look cooler than any drummer ever could.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
It all depends on how you want to sound. If you're going for any sort of electronica sort of sound, a drum machine can actually be more useful to you than a real drummer as you can program an almost unlimited amount of effects and types of drums.