So i am teaching this kid, but we were having problems in relation to what he wants to learn and what he was learning from his friends. Basically he doesnt want to do anything but learn tunes from A7x and BFMV. Ive taught him grades, theory, music reading, ear training, sight reading, improv, pick/fingerstyle, rock, classical, blues, metal etc.

He was coming into the lessons learning new songs and not going over the stuff we did in the lesson. So his mother came into the lesson and told me what he wanted to learn. I said he wasnt doing the stuff i asked so we arranged to do a bit of both.

Unfortunately he hasn't done the stuff i want him to do, so i asked his mother to cancel lessons for the moment. She freaked out and said 'he will be devastated and think it is because of him that he is not coming back'. I tried to explain all of the above and she said we can work out a plan, but i dont want to force the kid to do anything he doesnt want to do.

What would you do?
Quote by Reveluzionairo
So i am teaching this kid, but we were having problems in relation to what he wants to learn and what he was learning from his friends. Basically he doesnt want to do anything but learn tunes from A7x and BFMV. Ive taught him grades, theory, music reading, ear training, sight reading, improv, pick/fingerstyle, rock, classical, blues, metal etc.

He was coming into the lessons learning new songs and not going over the stuff we did in the lesson. So his mother came into the lesson and told me what he wanted to learn. I said he wasnt doing the stuff i asked so we arranged to do a bit of both.

Unfortunately he hasn't done the stuff i want him to do, so i asked his mother to cancel lessons for the moment. She freaked out and said 'he will be devastated and think it is because of him that he is not coming back'. I tried to explain all of the above and she said we can work out a plan, but i dont want to force the kid to do anything he doesnt want to do.

What would you do?
I'd probably give up on him.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
teach him what he wants to learn, and get paid for it.

I see no problem

Last edited by jimmy_neutron at Sep 5, 2009,
Smack him round the back of the head and tell him to get on with it.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Teach the kid what he wants to know and sleep with the mother.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
if the child is unmotivated to learn what you can teach you can do two things.

continue doing what you are doing,
and probably end up dropping the student.
or tailor your curriculum to his taste.
for example explain theory through a A7x or BFMV song.

Personally,
I would probably drop the student,
but it really depends on if I fell the student really wants to learn,
and determining if I really can lead the student in the right direction.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by Reveluzionairo

What would you do?

Point out to her that it is because of him that he isn't coming back.

Or just teach the kid what he wants to learn. As he'll get older and more experienced, he'll probably want to learn some other stuff too. You've tried to teach him as best you can but if it's not what he wants to do, it's not what he wants to do.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Have sex with her?

+1
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Now, how hot is the mother?
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
You pretty much can't teach him stuff if he doesn't want to learn it. I tried teaching a friend of mine really basic guitar stuff, but he wanted to jump into playing songs. He could barely pick a single string without getting a bunch of fret buzz but wanted to learn Blink 182 songs. I dunno. Just humor the kid and get paid for it like the other people said.
I would take his money to teach him the shitty music he wants to learn. It doesn't make any sense to me to "drop" a student from private lessons.
What are you trying to teach that he doesn't want to learn, and can you present it through the stuff he's into?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'd just tell him to learn through tabs.

You're getting paid to teach what he wants to learn, not what you want to teach. Therein lies a conflict. You either teach him what he wants to learn, he does what you say, or just drop the lessons altogether.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
just explain to his mother that he wont get any better unless he actually goes over the stuff your trying to teach him and that you will help him with songs but if he when over the stuff and practiced the things you have tryed to teach him he wouldnt need to go over songs with you, thu he would gett alot better and would not be wasting your time when you could be teaching someone that wants to learn
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Maybe you can mix it in a different way. If the student doesnt directly want to work on theory ect maybe incorporate it into his playing of learning songs, EG look for different scales used in A7X solo and explain them and how they relate to Synyster Gates' sound. If this works then sooner or later i imagine that the students interest in theory would increase but for now (beginning students) it may be more beneficial (sp) to incorporate real teaching through the songs.

Quote by SteveHouse
What are you trying to teach that he doesn't want to learn, and can you present it through the stuff he's into?

It seems that this fellow has a talent for summing up my long and drawn out thoughts...
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Sep 5, 2009,
i would not give up, i was the most horrible student ever 2 years ago, my teacher kept pushing me and now i love to play :p
Explain to him that it's not worth having a teacher if he won't review anything that's taught.

First you could try teaching him a couple songs by those bands for the next little while, maybe he wants to take a break from what you normally teach.
just get paid for teaching him flavor of the month music. he will want to learn other bands eventually.
Quote by ....Satan
Now, how hot is the mother?

well she looks a bit like Sharon Wild (but i cant find any images of Sharon Wild with her clothes on to show the pit)
Teach him the stuff he wants to learn and not be an elitist prick?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Set a goal and work towards it with him. Choose a song he wants to learn, break it down into the things he needs to be able to do before playing it and then work through those aspects. That way he can feel like he's heading in the direction he wants and be able to see his improvement along the way.

A lot of people give up because they see playing as a cliff they have to jump up in a single leap rather than a mountain they can climb at a steady pace.
Last edited by rizo299 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by BlackandSilver
Teach him the stuff he wants to learn and not be an elitist prick?

Look up the definition of elitism?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total
I'd just tell him to learn through tabs.

You're getting paid to teach what he wants to learn, not what you want to teach. Therein lies a conflict. You either teach him what he wants to learn, he does what you say, or just drop the lessons altogether.

Its got nothing to do with what i like or dislike (i quite like those bands as it happens) but i teach what is beneficial for his learning. He previously was happy to do a bit of reading, fingerstyle and other genres but he now just doesnt play it when i ask him to.

He has been playing for 3 years so the rhythm playing of a7x and bfmv isnt a problem for him and the solos are too hard mostly. He wont even read tabs now let alone read music. We have exhausted most of their songs as well. I was doing theory based on the songs as well which was the part which wasnt too bad.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Reveluzionairo

n.
The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

He made it out that those were the worst bands on the planet. Thus, elitism.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
teach him what he wants to learn, and get paid for it.

I see no problem

this. I used to be a professional teacher, and bottom line is, you have to adjust to your student. if your student only wants to learn one thing, teach him that. if your student just wants to drink beer and smoke pot, teach him that.

being a private teacher isn't about making the world a better place, it's about teaching the kid what he wants to know.

hell if I went to a teacher and wanted to learn how to shred, and he started teaching me about jazz modes and theory that doesn't make me any faster, I'd be pissed too.
then be like hey in order to do these solos this is what you need to do (insert excersices at slow pace here) and then after he can do some solos introduce him into writing solos using scales and such.

how long have you been teaching really?
Quote by BlackandSilver
n.
The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

No, he implied the kid wanted to learn the songs of his favourite bands. Any implication that they were they worst bands on the planet was entirely a misunderstanding on your part.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Reveluzionairo
Its got nothing to do with what i like or dislike i teach what is beneficial for his learning. He previously was happy to do a bit of reading, fingerstyle and other genres but he now just doesnt play it when i ask him to.

He has been playing for 3 years so the rhythm playing of a7x and bfmv isnt a problem for him and the solos are too hard mostly. We have exhausted most of their songs as well. I was doing theory based on the songs as well which was the part which wasnt too bad.

You could try getting him into some different music.

Does he even want to learn theory? Maybe he doesn't think theory is useful.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by BlackandSilver
n.

Reading comprehension. The lack of it in you is outstanding.
Quote by BlackandSilver
n.

Um, he said a couple posts ago that he likes them both.....

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Mayonaise 812
then be like hey in order to do these solos this is what you need to do (insert excersices at slow pace here) and then after he can do some solos introduce him into writing solos using scales and such.

how long have you been teaching really?

+1

when I used to teach kids guitar, I'd get 'em started on drop-D power chords to strengthen their fingers and get them playing songs they like quickly. you need to get your student to see results, and to have the feeling that they are progressing. it's useless to teach a whole bunch of theory if the student gets bored and doesn't/can't understand how it's helping him.
Quote by BlackandSilver
n.

No, i dont see it. He simply stated the band names and in his previous post said that he personally likes the bands. You just seem to be grossly over reacting and acting like a dick.

..i hope this is due to life issues that have occured lately and not just your standard personality.

EDIT; How are these people typing so much quicker than me!?
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Sep 5, 2009,
Go out and rent a bunch of movies like Dead Poets Society and The Emperor's Club. That'll show you how to be inspiring and change people's lives and ****. Then throw down some serious hope on the kid.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by BlackandSilver
n.

What? No he didn't

He's trying to say that the kid won't learn how to play guitar by learning stuff from just them two bands.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1

when I used to teach kids guitar, I'd get 'em started on drop-D power chords to strengthen their fingers and get them playing songs they like quickly. you need to get your student to see results, and to have the feeling that they are progressing. it's useless to teach a whole bunch of theory if the student gets bored and doesn't/can't understand how it's helping him.

The kid was doing drop D stuff about 3 years ago and he is onto grade 4 rockschool so the rate we were going at in practical and theoretical learning was fine (until now).

I should add he is 11 now, but regardless if he was at a higher stage than most thats where he was at. All im doing in lessons is duplicating what his friend has already showed him.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 5, 2009,