Hey all. My brother in law and I are thinking about beginning to design and build guitars as an offshoot of his small design company. I just had a couple of questions. First: Has anyone here seen a guitar in which the body was cut from a horizontal chunk of wood, to where you could see the concentric rings of the tree? Second: How is pecan as a tone-wood? I have access to a lot of pecan wood and was thinking about using it with that specific cut. Thanks everyone!!!
the wood might not hold up very well if it's cut like that, and i've never seen it. it would be pretty sweet to leave the bark on a slab of wood and throw a neck on it. cool idea.
I didn't even think about leaving the bark on. I was thinking cut near to strat shape, staining it, lacquering the hell out of it. I just thought it would be an interesting way to do it... Hmmm
Quote by rockgod1619
Hey all. My brother in law and I are thinking about beginning to design and build guitars as an offshoot of his small design company. I just had a couple of questions. First: Has anyone here seen a guitar in which the body was cut from a horizontal chunk of wood, to where you could see the concentric rings of the tree? Second: How is pecan as a tone-wood?
Sounds like it would have structural problems. Wood is strongest in the direction of the grain. Weakest across it. You'd have the grain running perpendicular to the direction of stress.
Quote by rockgod1619
Second: How is pecan as a tone-wood? I have access to a lot of pecan wood and was thinking about using it with that specific cut. Thanks everyone!!!
There is a thread for woods used in guitar building. Go to the central hub and take the link.The GB&C Central Hub
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.