Hey guys can you guys tell me about your influences? I'm looking to get out into the other styles a bit more ;D!
I find that my guitar playing is influenced alot by singers. it's really strange, but when I play guitar melodies, I often think "hey, that sounds like *name*'s singing style!"

so I guess my influences would be the singer from alice in chains, Tool, Björk and Alicia Keys. for rythym playing, my main influences are adam jones, Marten Hagström and Daron Malakian.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
What do you already listen to?

I can give you bands from certain genres, give me a place to start because it's pointless to throw around band names.

Hmm... I already around Metal stuff like Iron Maiden, Children Of Bodom, Hammerfall and Paul Gilbert stuff. But I want something I'm going to be less familiar with!
Try Muse, Mammal, QOTSA, Rush, Lamb of God, Protest the Hero, Kasabian & Pearl Jam.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Sep 5, 2009,
The Fall.
Joy Division
Devo
Talking Heads
Echo And The Bunnymen
Patti Smith
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 5, 2009,
I can give you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different stuff...like in an electronic realm or hip-hop. Or I could bore you with random indie genres.

Or are you looking for more diverse metal?

I'll just post a couple metal bands then:

Sunn O)))
Electric Wizard
Boris
Earth
Sleep

edit: above me has some great choices, too
Last edited by RinestoneCowboy at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Audioslave95
Try Muse, Mammal, QOTSA, Rush, Lamb of God, Protest the Hero, Kasabian & Pearl Jam.

I agree with all of these, partly because I love all of them.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
I agree with all of these, partly because I love all of them.

| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
try Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pantera, Stratovarius, Helloween, Accept
Hmm, try Dream Theater, John Petrucci's solo album is amazing. That's Progressive Metal. Then you could try Symphony X, that's Prog Metal with Symphonic/Power/Neoclassical mixed into it. Adagio is pretty good too.

You could also take a look at bands like Dark Tranquillity, get their album The Gallery, it's quite nice. Or In Flames' Jester Race. That would be MeloDeth.

Opeth is progdeth, check out any of these albums by em: Still Life, Morning Rise, Blackwater Park. The rest of their stuff is still insanely amazing but these are the best imo.

Some Groove oriented stuff is nice too. Lamb of God's Ashes of the Wake or Machine Head's the Blackening are worth checking out.

Techdeth goes a long way too for me since its very varied. You have Necrophagist with their neoclassical mix. Anata mixing in a whole lot of counterpoint. Neuraxis and Quo Vadis adding melodic influences. And last but not least, Augury, their debut album is amazing and their sound is varied and unique.

Anyways, that's all for now. Goodluck!

EDIT: If you ever heard Meshuggah, DT and Porcupine Tree and liked em all, I'd strongly recommend a band called Animals as Leaders.
Last edited by Limaj_daas at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Since people seem to be throwing around random bands, I'll give some that a metal fan could appreciate.

Sonic Youth
Dinosaur Jr.
The Strokes
Massive Attack
Portishead
A Tribe Called Quest
Autechre
Boards of Canada

Thats mighty fine taste in music you've got there.
Aeon Spoke
Broken Social Scene
Pixies
Radiohead
Muse
The Velvet Underground
Patti Smith
Iron and Wine
Weather Report
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Allan Holdsworth
The Qemists
Feist
Pink Floyd
Camel
Rush
Coheed and Cambria
Duchess Says
Sonic Youth
Animal Collective
Vampire Weekend
The Horrors
Mystery Jets
Foals
King Crimson
The Beatles
The Cure

Off the top of my head

EDIT: Some more...

Kimya Dawson
Tegan and Sara
Metric
Sleater-Kinney
The Prodigy
Pop Will Eat Itself
Last edited by Oh Shize at Sep 5, 2009,
Lets just throw some completely random stuff out there then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBOzxB_F9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcMEx4OHLOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi9EEiU-MIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v12i6vJj988

Not sure you'll like all of this, but it's certainly different
I'm not completely sure what you're even trying to find inspiration for, but meh, here's some interesting artists worth taking a peek at:

Aesop Rock (alt. hiphop)
Spawn of Possession (clasically influenced tech.death)
65daysofstatic (post rock)
Cap'n Jazz (early emo/ indie)
Praxis (Experimental/ Jam/ Avant-Garde Band)