just out of intrest your views on ibanez uv-777, a 7 string guitar that looks alot like the ibanez rg350ex for shape and style. my guitar teacher said dont go there yet lol he said uv-777 too advanced for me yet. i remember seeing a video of akira yamaoka playing theme of laura on that guitar, hes the sound guy in silent hill games. it was ace.
whats the extra thing u can do on a 7 string? alot of what i play i dout i need to use other string yea man.
it`s a steve vai signature 7 string which blows a rg 350 clean out of the water, no guitar is too advanced for anyone at the end of the day every guitar is more or less the same in terms of how you play them the 7 string is just a extension to the tonal range the guitar is able too achieve.

and tell your guitar teacher he`s a moron for not realising this or find a teacher that isn`t holding you back, it`s not his place to tell you what to buy...i`d say stuff him and get a proper teacher that works independtly of a store. if YOU want it, try it,like it, get it.

edit:-if you don`t need the 7th string, go for a jem7v then (or any jem), in this price bracket there are loads of options for you, maybe do a little research on different manufacturers sites, visit as many stores as you can to play as many guitars as you can, narrow it down a bit to 2 or 3 guitars then post here asking for opinions on your shortlist.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 5, 2009,
basically it's all about hitting lower notes. if you're just starting out this is definitely not the guitar for you; not because you couldn't play it well, but because it's just so damn expensive.

you have to KNOW a 7 string is right for you. i talked to my old teacher about getting one and what it would do for me and he said he could help me out if i wanted to learn open chords and scales with the extra string. but when i picked one up i just could not get over the extra string. it just got in the way and made my mediocre playing sound just plain sloppy i still love the idea, and may get one in the future, but right now they're not for me.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
your teacher reminds me of my friend who told me the rg550 i was getting was way to advanced for me... and that i shouldnt get it.
he has a spider 30 watt and a squier
i hate people like that
thing i noticed with my guitar teacher is he does no music theory, he said he guessing it by ear and feel and said it comes from the soul. he dont leave much info overall compared to when i played piano the lady did mixture of theory and playing and i was able to make my own songs up cause of that. i got bored of piano tho lol and went to guitar and find it alot different and harder to play smoothly on.
Quote by gazster
thing i noticed with my guitar teacher is he does no music theory, he said he guessing it by ear and feel and said it comes from the soul. he dont leave much info overall compared to when i played piano the lady did mixture of theory and playing and i was able to make my own songs up cause of that. i got bored of piano tho lol and went to guitar and find it alot different and harder to play smoothly on.

A teacher should know theory...

He can't teach you to play with your soul and emotion.
Well theory is only a way to communicate musical terms between musicians. A perfect 5th is a perfect 5th...even if you don't know it. Music and tones existed long before music theory. If something sounds good, it sounds good. Learning theory doesn't change the way that the fretboard works.

As to your teacher advising against the Universe, listen to him. A 7-string is a lot for a new player. You have to deal with a 7th string that makes it harder to learn. I had a friend who started off with a 7-string and he just took it off. He never even put it back on. And you'll be wasting your money at this point since you don't even know what you're looking for. You haven't been playing long enough to know what works best to you. There are many different manufacturers and models with different specs in a specific price range. It all comes down to personal preference. And you cannot make a smart decision right now.