Im the Drummer for a local metal band. Were planning on playing Necrophagist - Stab Wound as a cover, and I'm finding it really hard to nail some of the fills. Iv'e been told by my other members it doesnt matter, and to just play some of My own fills, but I feel sort of guilty about this. What would you think of a band where they had to change certain parts to make it easier for a member, would you lose respect for the band?
The thing is most of the people in the audience won't even notice/care. It's better to do your best than trying to play something that you can't and screw up. Or you can pick another song but again, don't worry about it too much.
There's nothing wrong. I always change stuffs a bit when I play songs too hard for me.
Some people will say that you played it 'wrong' and that you ruined the song... but it's just showing how inexperienced they are. Even if you make a song harder and better, some people will like the original and hate you.
I almost never play a song the same way twice, not even my own. I enjoy variety.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
When I played drums in my band, I never played anything the same, parts sounded vastly different every time I played them, not because I'm a bad drummer, but because I like to be interesting and shake things up, which is easier to do on drums than guitar or bass. As long as you are tight and in time, which the band requires, then individual fills usually won't matter, and simply replicating the studio version is boring anyway.
Ok thanks for feedback, i'm just abit nervous about changing it as im the drummer, I dont actually play guitar. So If I blast at the same speed, but just change fills, should the guitars still be able to play it no problem then?
Quote by Carl TheDrummer
Ok thanks for feedback, i'm just abit nervous about changing it as im the drummer, I dont actually play guitar. So If I blast at the same speed, but just change fills, should the guitars still be able to play it no problem then?

Yes, they'll be fine, if they are good enough guitarists to play Necrophagist, a few fills won't knock them. As long as you don't change count ins/cues without discussing and practicing them, changing small parts is fine, have fun with the song
Ok Thanks for all your help guys, I guess i'm just nervous as iv'e only been drumming for 2 years and never live, So i really dont want to Mess this up.
Quote by Gerbs
You'll have a... blast...

beat.

haha yeah my backup plan is to just blast nonstop and hope no one notices. Were going to be playing with Pop=Punk bands so i doubt anyone will recognise the song anyway :P
Quote by Carl TheDrummer
Ok Thanks for all your help guys, I guess i'm just nervous as iv'e only been drumming for 2 years and never live, So i really dont want to Mess this up.

Wow, you've got balls, you're playing Stabwound for your first gig after 2 years of playing? At my first gig, we just played 30STM and KOL covers (my friends don't like metal )
I wish you nothing but luck, if it's just pop punk bands playing with you no-one will notice if you screw up at all, most people won't have even heard of Necrophagist
Im a big believer of improvising solos/fills. That may be because my trumpet teacher is a pro jazz musician, but I think acrossed any genre adding your own parts to covers is a good idea.
Quote by Anteaterking
I think it really depends on the song. Some songs have fills that are so rememberable that replacing them with something else is nothing short of ruining it.

Like a Zakk Wylde crazy train.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
It is totally acceptable for a band to take on it's own version of a song. Some hardcore Necrophagist fans might be offended but in general it's ok.
The only person who'll notice is another drummer who has already learnt the song note-for-note
yeah, I don't even like playing the song the exact same (note for note) like it was in the studio, add your own fills and stuff to make it easier for you/interesting for others
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

My band is playing Can you please crawl out your window by Bob Dylan.

We totally changed everything pretty much. It sounds more like Bruce Springsteen now.

And its at a Bob Dylan cover show. Just play it =P
I have a live version of War Pigs on my computer where a lot of the drum parts are noticeably different from the recorded version. I always thought of it as taking creative license with the song. Plus, if a world class band can get away with it, you probably can too.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Plus, if a world class band can get away with it, you probably can too.

Jesus, don't tell people that, we don't need any more crappy little bands acting like superstars. [:P]

I wouldn't be too fussed, unless a band really messes around with the original feel of a song...like MCR covering Desolation Row. Changing fills, solos, and so on doesn't alter the overall song significantly, as long as what you're doing still fits.
Dude, if the crowd wanted to hear a exact replica of the song they would have been better off staying at home and playing the song on their ipods.
If you can't handle a part of the song, try to use that to your advantage and play something even better than the original.

Good luck !
Quote by Carl TheDrummer
Im the Drummer for a local metal band. Were planning on playing Necrophagist - Stab Wound as a cover, and I'm finding it really hard to nail some of the fills. Iv'e been told by my other members it doesnt matter, and to just play some of My own fills, but I feel sort of guilty about this. What would you think of a band where they had to change certain parts to make it easier for a member, would you lose respect for the band?

if anything, i find it wierd if bands dont add their own fills and such.
IMO playing a cover exactly is pointless, why not just listen to the record? I can't stand cover bands that play everything exactly to the record, a band I saw a few nights back played Alive by Pearl Jam... Exactly, the guitarist did the solo EXACTLY the same... Thats boring IMO.
I'm of the same opinion as most of the others here: Why play it exactly the way it was recorded? That's boring, and you might as well just go listen to the CD. Of course, its that attitude that got me replaced in one band, but that band never went anywhere outside of their parents' basements and garages, so its no real loss.

Music is an expression of the people playing it. If you don't add a bit of yourself to what you play, you're just another mindless drone, trying to be exactly like the person before you. What's the point of that?

well i add in random little fills at my band practice in kill the king in the last verse/chorus.

Never played a gig yet but it would be pretty awesome a couple of little bass fills thrown in the mix for good measure what can go wrong :P.

Also we were talking bout a totally slowing down at the end of whiplash instead of the original finish.LOL.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.