I was looking at the ESP LTD V-401DX, and it apperently has a Floyd Rose Special. ESP also has other licensed Floyd Roses for its lower end models, so I assumee that this is a little better. Is it a good tremolo?
They are all the same anyway. The best floyd rose is one that's set up properly.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
I have an ltd kh-203 and it has the liscensed under floyd rose........ then i saw an ltd kh-202 and it had a floyd rose special. it looked like the expensive floyd roses. I hate my liscensed under floyd rose trem. it works good for about a year and then starts to wear out.
It's more or less an OFR with a Zinc block and saddles.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Birchall17
They are all the same anyway.

lolwut?

Quote by oneblackened

that's what i've heard, anyway. made in korea, i think, too (as opposed to germany, by schaller, for the OFRs).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut?

that's what i've heard, anyway. made in korea, i think, too (as opposed to germany, by schaller, for the OFRs).

Yep.
AFAIK, the 1000 series is quite literally a Korean OFR.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Is that good or bad?
The Edge III suffers from the same problem; they are made with crappy metal. But good ones will do the trick.
Quote by Dethonator
but are the a good tremolos overall, or crappy, like Edge IIIs?

Well, it'll stay in tune quite a bit better, the base plate is hardened to somewhere in between 50-55 rockwell (same range as OFR's, I believe).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
So the Special is worth looking at. I think there are lots of guitars in my price range with thte Special. I played a Shecter with an OFR and the trem was beautiful.
To the original poster, ESP is not LTD thats why they are selling Floyd Rose Specials. ESP has German made OFR's from Schaller on their guitars, LTD is not ESP thats why they sell the guitars with FR Specials on them
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
To the original poster, ESP is not LTD thats why they are selling Floyd Rose Specials. ESP has German made OFR's from Schaller on their guitars, LTD is not ESP thats why they sell the guitars with FR Specials on them

The 1000's have the FR1000 series Floyds on them, and as far as I'm aware, it's the same thing as an OFR, only MIK.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
The 1000's have the FR1000 series Floyds on them, and as far as I'm aware, it's the same thing as an OFR, only MIK.

Zinc saddles, zinc sustain block, cheaper materials for the nuts that hold the saddles down etc. There's a reason why they are roughly $80 as opposed to $200 for a German OFR and its not just where they are made
Quote by DSOTM80
Zinc saddles, zinc sustain block, cheaper materials for the nuts that hold the saddles down etc. There's a reason why they are roughly $80 as opposed to $200 for a German OFR and its not just where they are made

Um, the FR1000 isn't the FR special... 2 different things.

The Trems are different. One is much much cheaper than the other, because of the zinc parts.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 5, 2009,
^Sorry thought you were talking about the FR Special, my bad.
Indeed, the FR-1000 is exactly the same as an OFR in every way, except the guy who's operating the machinery to make them is Korean instead of German. There's no reason (unless you're mind-bendingly racist) to think there's any practical difference between an FR-1000 and an OFR.

The FR Special is exactly the same, only the sustain block (not the saddles, I have discovered) is a thinner zinc block, rather than the thick steel block. That's just a cost-cutting measure.

The most important thing is the knife edges and the base plate of the FR Special and FR-1000 are proper hardened steel, and won't wear down any faster than the knife edges of an OFR. The main reason why lots of licensed Floyd systems are bad is because they have crappy baseplates and the knife edges wear down in a month and then the bridge will never stay in tune - see the Edge III - but this isn't a problem for the FR-1000 and Special.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^Really, they're steel? cool.

Also, I think the FR1000 has slightly differently shaped saddles than an OFR. And since Schaller quality is decreasing, it may actually be better than the real OFR.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^ yeah, from what i hear, the back of the saddle is bevelled on the frt-1000 series ones, and straight on the schaller ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
floyd rose special is just made with zinc, which technically is more brittle than the steel on a OFR. Nevertheless, I have spoken with many who have used it recently and they say it works just fine, as good as an OFR w/ steel.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
So... a Floyd Rose Special on a LTD V-401DX(about $700) is a good tremolo, that can withstand frequent divebombs? Also, is it a bitch to tune?
Quote by Dethonator
So... a Floyd Rose Special on a LTD V-401DX(about $700) is a good tremolo, that can withstand frequent divebombs? Also, is it a bitch to tune?

Yes it is a good tremolo. Tuning is all about patience and experience with them, like any double-locker. If you rush it, chances are it will be bad, but if you take your time and work with it, it will be fine, and the more you do it, the better you'll get until you can do it in short time (fastest ive seen is 15 min)
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Dethonator

Yeah, it's a good trem.

Well, every floating trem, double locking or not, is a pain in the ass to tune. Word of warning: drop tuning on a floating trem is a pain in the ass.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
doubt it. I imagine the gotoh and schaller, not to mention the ibanez edge and lo-pro edge, are probably better. EDIT: just to point out, i haven't tried the special, i'm making a vaguely educated guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?