Hey, i'm thinking about making my own guitar except for my first go i think i'd murder my wood trying to make it from scratch, so, is Ebay fine for buying parts? For example would this be fine to buy and use?
Okay, so, as long as it's from a decent seller, buying parts from Ebay is fine and parts are of good quality?
again, it all depends on the seller. ALL OF IT.

if the seller is an honest guy selling crap parts, don't go for it. If the seller is a sheister selling crap parts, dont go for it.

if the seller is an honest guy selling good parts, go for it.
nice body, abalone looks a bit wierd though.

Im not sure but i read somewhere that when choosing a neck and body to throw together you have to take things such as scale length into account....maybe someone can shed more light on this ?
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
well you cant trust that the parts are genuine! they could be knockoff parts!
Quote by willT08
Okay, so, as long as it's from a decent seller, buying parts from Ebay is fine and parts are of good quality?

How do you expect people on this forum to know if something theyve never seen or inspected in person to be good quality or not, they know just as much as you do about it, is that not common sense?

If the seller is describing the product accuratly, you like it and your willing to part with the cash they want for it, then obviously buying things from ebay is okay yes, again is that not common sense?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Something to do with body tension isn't it? Idk

EDIT: Calm down guys. I'll specify further. Where do you guys recommend i buy parts from? how do prices compare with the relative cheapness of ebay parts? how often would taking the risk of buying from ebay backfire i.e. how many times have you heard of people buying stuff that turned out to be knock-off parts?
Last edited by willT08 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by willT08

im so effin confused about what your talking about?

ok jim lets leave now! this is way too confusing!
Quote by willT08
You have a TON of reading to do before you'll be ready to build.

Quote by willT08
EDIT: Calm down guys. I'll specify further. Where do you guys recommend i buy parts from? how do prices compare with the relative cheapness of ebay parts? how often would taking the risk of buying from ebay backfire i.e. how many times have you heard of people buying stuff that turned out to be knock-off parts?
No way for a newbie to even know the right questions to ask an e-bay seller.

u = newbie.

therefore

it's not worth the risk of buying on e-bay.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Beffyyy
nice body, abalone looks a bit wierd though.

Im not sure but i read somewhere that when choosing a neck and body to throw together you have to take things such as scale length into account....maybe someone can shed more light on this ?
Scale length is the length between the nut and the bridge and determins the location of all the frets, and so to buy a body and neck the scale length must match, but also they must be compatible, and by that I mean that the neck pocket thats routed into the body must be the right size for the neck that you are buying.

Just because you buy a 25.5" strat neck and a 25.5" strat body, doesnt mean they will match up, strats can have 24 frets 22 frets and 21 frets and they cant all go in the same neck pocket because even though the scale length is the same, the neck ends on a different fret and there for the nut will no be in the right position in relation to the bridge.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by willT08

What Country are you in...and see my Sig.

Also go and read a metric ass load of build threads and buy a book or two.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
You have a TON of reading to do before you'll be ready to build.

No way for a newbie to even know the right questions to ask an e-bay seller.

u = newbie.

therefore

it's not worth the risk of buying on e-bay.

Thanks for the non-condescending expression of ideas there. I'm not planning on doing this tomorrow, in fact it will be a good couple of years before i do this. You know, maybe during that time i'll pick up a book. GOOD TIP!!! Cookie for you. I suppose you have question asking down to an art. But then, how could a newbie like myself even hope to be as good at asking questions. Thankyou so much for your inspiring words. You've truly helped me.

EDIT: Look at AbsentMind. He's not a complete douche. He actually helps people who ask for help. Imagine that. Also, i'm from the UK so you and me might be doing business in the near future.
Last edited by willT08 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by willT08
Thanks
You're welcome.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by willT08

ok ! ebay is like buying les pauls from HOBOS! But seriously take it from someone who learned the hard way!!!!

I bought a supposed fender p bass for 200 and what i got was a no name piece of poop!
just like this good thing i didnt get one of these! but it just goes to show you cant trust that they are 100% genuine!
http://reviews.ebay.com/Beware-of-Fake-Ace-Frehley-Guitars_W0QQugidZ10000000003813563

AND FOR ANOTHER THING WILL ! NO ONE LIKES AN ASSHOLE! JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT LIKE THE INFO YOU WERE GIVEN DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM NAMES!
Last edited by savage94 at Sep 5, 2009,
In all seriousness I would reccomend that you read through lots of things before you even start looking at parts to buy to be honest though, that's not me being horrible.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by savage94
ok ! ebay is like buying les pauls from HOBOS! Ed Roman.
*fixed*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
You're So Funny!

my last post was kind of mean so sorry!

but seriously no matter what he still shouldnt have said that about anyone!

if you have anything else to say, speak to the llama
Last edited by savage94 at Sep 5, 2009,