Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy my first half stack. My current amp is a Marshall MG100DFX. I already know how terrible the MG is (I've been on these forums for a few hours now, so I've seen the threads), I was just wondering if the Marshall DSL100 is a good amp head? I was originally looking at the Marshall Haze, but I read a lot of threads here claiming that its not very good.

I live in an apartment complex, and the neighbors don't really care about my volume...but I don't want to push it. Will the DSL100 be to loud? Should I look at the DSL50 instead? How do the DSL100 and DSL50 compare?
Last edited by SLonergan at Sep 5, 2009,
The MG isn't that bad, I used to have one so I know. As for the Marshall Haze, don't just jump on the band wagon just because you saw a few posts saying it was crap. Try playing all 3 amps and see which is best.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Holyshít a lot of people are seeing the light today, eh? Already two NAD's up from a MG and here's probably another.

DSL100 and 50 wont have much difference apart from clean headroom. It's preference and needs, really. 50W tube will be so much louder than your 100W SS.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
DSL100 is a good amp, as is the 50. Only real difference is the wattage afaik.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Birchall17
The MG isn't that bad, I used to have one so I know. As for the Marshall Haze, don't just jump on the band wagon just because you saw a few posts saying it was crap. Try playing all 3 amps and see which is best.

Well, I can say that my MG sounds terrible even with my Gibson Les Paul playing through it, and I can sit down at almost any tube amp in the store, plug in an out of tune guitar, and make it sound better (slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea).

Also, I'm not completely giving up on the Haze. There are just some things that turn me off about it. Its overpriced, and if for a couple hundred bucks more I can get a far superior amp, then that's the option I'm going to go for.

Quote by Juadafi
Holyshít a lot of people are seeing the light today, eh? Already two NAD's up from a MG and here's probably another.

DSL100 and 50 wont have much difference apart from clean headroom. It's preference and needs, really. 50W tube will be so much louder than your 100W SS.

Cool, thanks for the comparison! I got the MG a couple of years ago (at the same time as my Gibson) thinking that anything bearing the Marshall name shall be godlike. It sounded good at first, since I hadn't really plugged into any valve amps. Its only in the last few days that I'm realizing how big of a difference it makes.

Anyway, just to reiterate. It sounds like you're leaning me more towards the 50w head. I don't think I need the full 100w, and with limited space...lower wattage is better, right?

ALSO, are there any online stores that sell the DSL50? I can't seem to find one.
Quote by SLonergan
Cool, thanks for the comparison! I got the MG a couple of years ago (at the same time as my Gibson) thinking that anything bearing the Marshall name shall be godlike. It sounded good at first, since I hadn't really plugged into any valve amps. Its only in the last few days that I'm realizing how big of a difference it makes.

Anyway, just to reiterate. It sounds like you're leaning me more towards the 50w head. I don't think I need the full 100w, and with limited space...lower wattage is better, right?

ALSO, are there any online stores that sell the DSL50? I can't seem to find one.

There will probably be subtle tonal characteristic differences between the two, since the 100W would need larger components inside, such as a transformer, etc, but it's likely not noticeable unless A/Bing them

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Marshall+DSL+50&hl=en
Thanks, but I'm really looking to buy a half stack.

SO, I repose my question.

How do you guys feel about the Orange Rockerverb 50?
Head to a GC and try out everything in your price range if I were you.
Quote by SLonergan
I'm looking to buy my first half stack. My current amp is a Marshall MG100DFX. I already know how terrible the MG is (I've been on these forums for a few hours now, so I've seen the threads), I was just wondering if the Marshall DSL100 is a good amp head? I was originally looking at the Marshall Haze, but I read a lot of threads here claiming that its not very good.

I live in an apartment complex, and the neighbors don't really care about my volume...but I don't want to push it. Will the DSL100 be to loud? Should I look at the DSL50 instead? How do the DSL100 and DSL50 compare?

You do not like you MG for the wrong reason.

You should play the Haze before you write it off.

Every DSL will be very loud. Bu they do have this incredible new feature called volume controls. I bet if you mess around with it, you can get the amp to be quieter.
Quote by Juadafi

haha yeah and i sold mine today, though i saw the light earlier, only just got rid of it though.

Got a 6505 112+ instead :P
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
haha yeah and i sold mine today, though i saw the light earlier, only just got rid of it though.

Got a 6505 112+ instead :P

I demand a NAD.
Quote by Juadafi
I demand a NAD.

When it arrives, i had to order it from thomann.com, because that was the only place i could find it in my price range, it was about £450 instead of £629 or whatever it normally is...

When it comes you can have a NAD
Quote by customisbetter
You do not like you MG for the wrong reason.

You should play the Haze before you write it off.

Every DSL will be very loud. Bu they do have this incredible new feature called volume controls. I bet if you mess around with it, you can get the amp to be quieter.

Okay...I dislike my MG for the wrong reason. I guess disliking an amp for its bad sound is the wrong reason? ****, looks like its time to go back to the 10watt amp that came with my first guitar. Maybe I moved up from that one for the wrong reason.

I didn't write off the Haze. I just haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Before you shove sarcasm down my throat, I'm sure you know that tube amps sound better at higher volumes. Meaning if I bring down these revolutionary "volume controls," I will compromise the tone. There is no point in spending $1000+ on a new amp if its only going to be a slight improvement over my current PoS. Which I guess isn't a PoS after all.
you dislike the MG because people told you its crap. Despite how true that is, your ear hasn't matured enough to really notice a difference. Then you get you heart set on another amp that i assume you have never played.

you should go to a store and spend a few hours trying everything they have. you should start to notice different characteristics of different brands and models.

also, to most matured ears, a DSL when its turned down to bedroom levels will sound a LOT better than an MG. Provided all o the controls and stuff are set right (but it seems to me that my JCM sounds pretty decent at almost every setting. i think they narrowed the range of the controls a lot to keep a similar sound across the board)

about tube amps sounding BETTER at higher volumes...

totally subjective to a persons preferences, and the actual model/ condition of hte amplifer in question.

also, "Better" does not mean at "not better" is Bad. Ok, that was a weird sentence, but i thnk you can understand.

EDIT

but seriously, my main point : try as many amps as possible. Hell bring home a a few amps and try them at your place to see if they sound differnt than in the store (i betcha they do) and don't as the internt if something is good or better.
Last edited by customisbetter at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
When it arrives, i had to order it from thomann.com, because that was the only place i could find it in my price range, it was about £450 instead of £629 or whatever it normally is...

When it comes, can you say "Just for Juadafi" please? That would be great.
Quote by customisbetter
you dislike the MG because people told you its crap. Despite how true that is, your ear hasn't matured enough to really notice a difference. Then you get you heart set on another amp that i assume you have never played.

you should go to a store and spend a few hours trying everything they have. you should start to notice different characteristics of different brands and models.

also, to most matured ears, a DSL when its turned down to bedroom levels will sound a LOT better than an MG. Provided all o the controls and stuff are set right (but it seems to me that my JCM sounds pretty decent at almost every setting. i think they narrowed the range of the controls a lot to keep a similar sound across the board)

about tube amps sounding BETTER at higher volumes...

totally subjective to a persons preferences, and the actual model/ condition of hte amplifer in question.

also, "Better" does not mean at "not better" is Bad. Ok, that was a weird sentence, but i thnk you can understand.

EDIT

but seriously, my main point : try as many amps as possible. Hell bring home a a few amps and try them at your place to see if they sound differnt than in the store (i betcha they do) and don't as the internt if something is good or better.

Kay, here's the thing though. I can notice a difference between my crappy little MG100DFX, and a tube halfstack. I don't like how my amp sounds. The tone is bad.

You're right, I do need to spend a lot of time trying out the amps. In fact, I'm going to GC tomorrow to do that.

That doesn't mean that I shouldn't ask for people's perspective on different amps. I didn't get my "heart set" on one amp. I spent a few minutes looking around on the internet, because my REAL browsing is going to happen at the store.

I value this community's opinion on amplifiers.

By the way, The Haze is the first amp that I am trying tomorrow, as it is still the one that I am favoring at the moment.

And one more thing, please don't use sentences like "you dislike the MG because people told you its crap." Its completely untrue, and its rude to tell people what they think...
Quote by customisbetter
well that statement is a disclaimer since i have seen that happen for years on this forum.

sorry if i offended your intelligence.

Dude...he already said that he didn't like the sound of his amp after comparing it to decent tube amps. To the TS, I've heard the DSL50 being demonstrated at a clinic. Okay...so he was discussing proper eq techniques and the importance of mids...but I got to hear the amp amp up close and personal (spitting distance). It's pretty nice and sounds decent at lower volumes, but it cranks up great as well.
You said you live in an apartment building. Do you have any idea of how loud a 50 or 100 watt tube amp is gonna be?
When you go and try these amps out, make sure you can turn them up to get the saturation of the power tubes and you'll see what I mean by LOUD!
Good luck on your quest, let your ears and soul direct you to your new amp.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
Quote by SLonergan

sweetness. very nice amp.
are you into british-voiced amps? i mean, you've mentioned marshall and orange, which makes me want to point you in the direction of splawn, but have you tried mesa? peavey? seems a bit to me like you're not totally sure what you want, you just want it to sound better than an MG. am i right on that point?

EDIT: and what everyone's saying about how loud tube amps are is right. 50w is pushing it for most appartments. it'll be much louder than you might be imagining it compared to your MG.
Last edited by GrisKy at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
sweetness. very nice amp.
are you into british-voiced amps? i mean, you've mentioned marshall and orange, which makes me want to point you in the direction of splawn, but have you tried mesa? peavey? seems a bit to me like you're not totally sure what you want, you just want it to sound better than an MG. am i right on that point?

EDIT: and what everyone's saying about how loud tube amps are is right. 50w is pushing it for most appartments. it'll be much louder than you might be imagining it compared to your MG.

Yeah, I realize that they are very loud. That's why I was looking at amps like the Haze and the Orange Dual Terror.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. I'm not really sure what I want at this point. I really like the classic Marshall sound (I guess that constitutes as British-Voiced amps), but I also love the sounds that people like John Petrucci can get (and he uses Mesa I believe).

At this point I'm looking for something that gets me really good tone, because I want to record with it, but it needs to be big enough for small gigs...and be playable in an apartment building.

That's why the Dual Terror looks so nice to me, because I can switch it between 15 and 30 watts.
dual terror is no rockverb50, just so you don't get your hopes up.

the "marshall" sound is perhaps the best way to generalize a british-voiced amp. and yes, petrucci uses mesa, but he also uses enough rack gear to fill your closet. it's a losing battle to try and perfectly recreate someone's tone. are you in/close to a city with decent music stores where you could test drive a few amps and see what your ears like? if not, check the web for clips. there's only about a million or so out there.
Have you looked at a Traynor YCS50? It comes in a combo as well as a head, so whatever you're preference is (I think you said halfstack). You can find it on eBay for $700 and less. I have the combo and it does everything well for me. A lot of versatility as well -- the OD channel has a "Modern" switch which just seems to tighten up the sound a bit. To me it makes it more fake, but to each their own. It also has a "Scoop" button to scoop the mids, which I never use, but it may be attractive to you. It has a lot of other options that are very useable, like the Master volume... it allows the full sound of cranked power tubes at lower volumes. I leave the Master volume cranked, adjust the individual channel Volumes, and then adjust the Gain to how much I want. Works well for me.

Oh, and you can switch from 50 Watts Class AB to 15 Watts Class A. Another plus since you're in the apartment. Seriously, look it up.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=404

If you want a more British voiced amp, supposedly the YCV50 Blue is just that. According to my knowledge, it only comes as a combo though.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318
Quote by GrisKy
dual terror is no rockverb50, just so you don't get your hopes up.

the "marshall" sound is perhaps the best way to generalize a british-voiced amp. and yes, petrucci uses mesa, but he also uses enough rack gear to fill your closet. it's a losing battle to try and perfectly recreate someone's tone. are you in/close to a city with decent music stores where you could test drive a few amps and see what your ears like? if not, check the web for clips. there's only about a million or so out there.

Yeah, I'm close to a Guitar Center, and about 20 minutes away from a store that sells Orange Amps.

Oh yeah, I know the Dual Terror is no Rockverb...its also half the price. Making it MUCH more attainable. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that there's no FX loop. I only have a couple of pedals that I would have put in the FX loop anyway (Hardwire Delay and Chorus). How much of a difference does it make if these go in the pre-amp chain?
true on the $$$

and a loop makes quite a bit of difference, particularly for time-based fx, but by no means does that relegate frontloading such pedals as impossible or "wrong." i have a delay in a couple of my loops and another one on my board that has tap-tempo for "on the fly" stuff.
Quote by GrisKy
true on the $$$

and a loop makes quite a bit of difference, particularly for time-based fx, but by no means does that relegate frontloading such pedals as impossible or "wrong." i have a delay in a couple of my loops and another one on my board that has tap-tempo for "on the fly" stuff.

So the effects will still sound good in the pre-amp then?
Quote by SLonergan

There's absolutely no point buying a halfstack if you live in an apartment, you'll never be able to turn the volume past 1.

Don't go above a 30 watt combo or you could get by with a more powerful combo with plenty of preamp gain - they'll still be far too loud for use in an apartment but at the same time you've said you need it to be giggable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by BrickIsRed
You should get a DSL401 combo (40 watt) and prop it up on a chair like I did.

Fail. I love my DSL100 but the DSL401 is nowhere near as good.

The DSL100 has a little more balls and a little more headroom, but it's pretty negligible, especially in a mix. It's a great amp and can get good volumes without that much volume, especially if you boost the crunch channel. Sounds great through greenbacks.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

They aren't supposed to ship till 10/15... you'll be waiting a while

The DSL50 sounds better to me than the 100, eventhough I usually like the higher wattage versions of amps

Why are you only looking at Marshall?

Since you can't really crank it though, I say... get a Peavey Vypyr 60. Loud enough for gigs/jamming if you ever need it, versatile as hell, and sounds great at low volumes/has headphone jack. It also has a USB connector for recording directly to your PC. No need for a stack, all the combos I've had are plenty loud enough and 60W tube will destroy your MG in volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you're not gigging or anything, I wouldn't recommend getting a DSL or any amp of a similar wattage for apartment use. If you are after the 'Marshall' sound, have a look into the Marshall Class 5, which has been getting a lot of positive reviews. Another excellent British amp that's only 5w is the Laney L-5T.
You could get an Attenuator, then you can push the volume and keep it at a decent level.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
You could get an Attenuator, then you can push the volume and keep it at a decent level.

haha, there's about four people on this thread that knows how an attenuator works, but you're right. good suggestion.
Quote by Say Ocean
Fail. I love my DSL100 but the DSL401 is nowhere near as good.

The DSL100 has a little more balls and a little more headroom, but it's pretty negligible, especially in a mix. It's a great amp and can get good volumes without that much volume, especially if you boost the crunch channel. Sounds great through greenbacks.

The only advantage a DSL100 has over a DSL401, sound-wise, is the use of a full size cabinet instead of the built in 1x12 speaker (which from what I've heard, isn't as good as a 1960 Marshall 4x12 cabinet). But there's nothing stopping me from plugging my DSL401 into a larger more expensive speaker cabinet, should the need ever arise. For his purposes, 40 watts is more appropriate over 100 watts.

(But I really wish my 401 had a series FX loop instead of parallel)
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by BrickIsRed
The only advantage a DSL100 has over a DSL401, sound-wise, is the use of a full size cabinet instead of the built in 1x12 speaker (which from what I've heard, isn't as good as a 1960 Marshall 4x12 cabinet). But there's nothing stopping me from plugging my DSL401 into a larger more expensive speaker cabinet, should the need ever arise. For his purposes, 40 watts is more appropriate over 100 watts.

(But I really wish my 401 had a series FX loop instead of parallel)

Not really... the 401 runs on EL-84s and not EL-34s, is lower gain with less balls and is considerably thinner sounding, even through another cab.

At a great price, I would buy one, but at a normal price, I would never suggest one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really... the 401 runs on EL-84s and not EL-34s, is lower gain with less balls and is considerably thinner sounding, even through another cab.

At a great price, I would buy one, but at a normal price, I would never suggest one

Hm, I'm gonna counter with the point that the DSL100 is considerably more expensive when you factor in the cost of a cabinet. Also, I don't think lower gain is necessarily a bad thing. Right now I have gain on mine set to half way. Can't comment on the 401 sounding thinner. Maybe someone needs to do a DSL shoot-out on youtube.
Quote by kyle62
The concept of buying a half-stack for use solely in an apartment is both hilarious and baffling. Definitely go for a 2x12.

Just because I live in an apartment doesn't mean that I don't leave.

As weird as it may seem, I plan to use my amp to like...I don't know, Play some gigs...

When I'm done playing gigs though, I must return to my apartment, hence the need for a smaller amp.
Page 1 of 2