Very simply, I have a wonderful old strat from 2002. I wish it was older by about 40 years( ), but you make do with what you have, and all things considered it's pretty good in my experience.

Anyway, lately I've been reading about the trem block changing from zinc to steel in Fender stratocasters in 2006, providing better sustain. I was wondering if there was any way I could provide an image here of it to see whether it's one of the older or newer tremolos, and if the prior, where I could get a new one, how much it'd cost and, other than restringing and setting it up and all, how hard replacing it'd be.

Much appreciate as always UG.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 5, 2009,
Well, I know you could just change the block, GFS sells some for about $20-25, or you could get a callaham block.
2 point or 6 point trem?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, I know you could just change the block, GFS sells some for about $20-25, or you could get a callaham block.
2 point or 6 point trem?

Hmm...how would I go about changing that exactly rather than the entire tremolo, save the claw and springs?(I apologize if the question seems stupid, but other than setting it up I've never done much of any work on the bridge of my strat)

Six-point.

Take the saddles off.

See those three big screws? they hold the block on. Take those out, and off comes the block.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hmm...that simple? Excellent. Could I get a link to the steel trem block though?

Quote by Pac_man0123

Yep.

Pfft, 3500 posts? I'm near 7000.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I see your point. But still, I was a bit past you at that point, around...4000, I think? I don't honestly remember.

On a side note to Nec's topic, has anyone found a better block for a Wilkinson VS100? Mine has a junko zinc block right now.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 5, 2009,