my brother is probably going to buy a bass guitar sometime soon.
he's probably getting a B.C. Rich Virgin but before he does, we just wanted to know if there's an advantage to using a 5 string bass, other than playing songs written for a 5 string.

ty for any info
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
If its his first bass, get a 4 string. Unless he wants to get really technical, I'd just stick with the 4.
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
first- a 5er has more economy of motion. you essentially have 2 entire octaves in your fist. if you use a lot of varied high to low note switches it is easy.

second- BC Rich makes terrible starter basses. Ibanez, Fender, the Squier VM or CV series, Washburn, Rockbass, Peavey...

he can get a good bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
@the humanity

hes buying for style not ease of use or quality

same thing i did, my ESP AX-50 was my first guitar
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
Quote by Meta||ica
@the humanity

hes buying for style not ease of use or quality

same thing i did, my ESP AX-50 was my first guitar

well your ESP is actually relatively alright.

BC Rich is terrible.

it's like asking for steak and getting burnt toast.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, seriously, start with an Ibanez; they make good, cheap basses, and from what I've heard, their 5 strings are nicely priced.
buying an instrument based on style is never the best thing to go on. sure find something you like the look of but quality should be considered as well.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
buying an instrument based on style is never the best thing to go on. sure find something you like the look of but quality should be considered as well.

What do you expect from someone who knows zero about basses?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
It comes down to feel, really. Some individuals will crave the extra notes available, or the feel of the thicker neck, but others will find both superfluous.

5ers will definitely be more expensive, so get started on a four and then purchase a 5er on the side when you know you'll be continuing on with bass.
Hi.
Quote by cal1
What do you expect from someone who knows zero about basses?

I know zero about basses, yet I still know quality should be the main thing you look for when buying something. Especially a musical instrument, oh well I guess if his friend wants to buy a bass based on looks alone let him, he'll be the one complaining about it in a couple months.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The great thing about starting bass is that he has no comparison between a 4 or a 5- he isn't used to a 4 string, so he won't have that fifth string mindblock. Just take him down to a store, and have him try lots of basses out. 5 strings can be useful in any genre, and although initially he'll go for style, eventually he'll want to start learning more about the instrument, and I firmly believe a 5 string will help with this wonders, because most exercises and scales are in 4 string format- knowledge can be reinforced by applying what is learnt over those 4 string exercises down onto the low B.

The 5th string is nothing to do with technicality, or genre. Hell, I played in an indie/funk/alt rock band with a 5 string and it served me well. I now play in a hard rock/metal band, and the same 5 string bass serves me well still.

To recap:

1) There's no preferred number of strings for a beginner- saying beginners should get a 4 string is bollocks.
2) It's about feel- get him to try some 4 and 5 string basses
3) I firmly believe that 5 strings are invaluable tools, for reinforcement of knowledge and economy of motion, both of which your brother may want to get into after the "wow, look at my metal looking bass!" phase.
^ Thats where I went wrong. I want a 5 string, but I keep using my mate's 4 string and I'm getting used to that now
Get 5 string.

5 strings has more octave range so you can make nice low sounds Also if you play heavier music styles that go in B or lower you dont need to tune much.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by Steve08
http://bcrich.com/bass_virgin_four.asp

Oh god, I listened to the distortion tone and I started laughing... I'm sorry.

If there's one word that could describe it, it would be "farty"...

I give another +1 to Ibanez, Squier and other forementioned brands. They kick the crap out of BC Rich.

And another recommendation for 5 strings, so when theory wants to be learned, you can learn more before having to get a new instrument.

(Even if you won't use the low B, it's a nice thumbrest)
5 string.
Delirium just said everything I was about to, but I'd just like to say it anyway.
And don't go for a BC Rich because it looks cool.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I started playing a 5 string when I knew -10 things about basses... I HATED the 5 string, and found it really annoying... then as I started playing seriously, and started loving bass, I got bored with the limited sounds you can get on a 4 string, so I got myself a 5-string last nite I love the thicker neck, and the feel and sound of the fatass low B... It's all about the feel man... have him pink up a 4, and a 5.. see what he likes.. Hell, let him try a 6-string!! (pretty ****ing sikk)
BC Rich basses are just horrid they look good but god they sound rotten....it just wasnt there at all i was like WTF its so tinny in the shop and i played around with the amp and it made not much diffrent felt Rammstein bass lines were inaudible.

Avoid them...cause their sound is pure rubbish.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.