Before we start out, I'd like to give a bit of an explanation on stuff so you guys can understand what I'm talking about. I did indeed get interested in learning guitar via Rock Band 2 (video game), which I don't care to admit. Now, two months after getting my guitar, I've hit a wall with ideas on what to do. The main term you'll need to know for this is "FC", which means 100% notes hit with no over-strums.

Now, here's the basic idea. Lay out all 84 songs on RB2, rank them in order of difficulty to FC. FC the easiest song, then learn it on real guitar. FC the second easiest song, then learn it on real guitar. And so on, all the way through to 84. My idea behind this is that the game could possibly help me memorize the guitar part easier (not the actual notes on a guitar of course, I'm talking about the sound progression, rhythm, etc) for the songs I'm learning, and could lay the songs out so that I'm getting a good mix of more straightforward rhythm parts, simple solos, harder rhythms, and complicated solos.

These are the songs, in order from easiest to hardest in the game:

1. Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
2. So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys
3. We Got the Beat - The Go-Gos
4. Pretend We're Dead - L7
5. My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
6. Today - The Smashing Pumpkins
7. That's What You Get - Paramore
8. You Oughta Know - Alanis Morisette (sp?)
9. Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
10. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
11. Nine in the Afternoon - Panic at the Disco
12. Hello There - Cheap Trick
13. Float On - Modest Mouse
14. PDA - Interpol
15. I Was Wrong - Social Distortion
16. E-Pro - Beck
17. Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
18. Cool for Cats - Squeeze
19. American Woman - The Guess Who
20. Kids in America - The Muffs
21. Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill
22. White Wedding (Part 1) - Billy Idol
23. Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
24. One Step Closer - Linkin Park
25. Lump - Presidents of the United States of America
26. New Kid in School - The Donnas
27. Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
28. Conventional Lover - Speck
29. Alabama Getaway - The Grateful Dead
30. Everlong - Foo Fighters
31. Drain You - Nirvana
32. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello
33. Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers
34. Give It All - Rise Against
35. Feel the Pain - Dinosaur Jr.
36. Supreme Girl - The Sterns
37. Uncontrollable Urge - Devo
38. Shooting Star - Bad Company
39. One Way or Another - Blondie
40. Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated) - The Offspring
41. De-Luxe - Lush
42. Pinball Wizard - The Who
43. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
44. Welcome to the Neighborhood - Libyans
45. Alex Chilton - The Replacements
46. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
47. Down with the Sickness - Disturbed
48. Ramblin' Man - Allman Brothers Band
49. Aqualung - Jethro Tull
50. The Trees - Rush
51. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
52. Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan
53. Testify - Rage Against the Machine
54. A Jagged Gorgeous Winter - The Main Drag
55. Ace of Spades '08 - Motorhead
56. Rock'n Me - Steve Miller
57. Our Truth - Lacuna Oil
58. Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
59. Alive - Pearl Jam
60. Mountain Song - Jane's Addiction
61. Teen Age Riot - Sonic Youth
62. Night Lies - Bang Camaro
63. Girl's Not Grey - AFI
64. Master Exploder - Tenacious D
65. Rob the Prez-O-Dent - That Handsome Devil
66. Spoonman - Soundgarden
67. Almost Easy - Avenged Sevenfold
68. Where'd You Go? - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
69. Chop Suey - System of a Down
70. Colony of Birchmen - Mastodon
71. Round and Round - Ratt
72. Any Way You Want It - Journey
73. Souls of Black - Testament
74. Shackler's Revenge - Guns n' Roses
75. Peace Sells - Megadeth
76. Battery - Metallica
77. Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
78. Panic Attack - Dream Theater
79. Get Clean - Anarchy Club
80. Bodhisattva - Steely Dan
81. Shoulder to the Plow - Breaking Wheel
82. Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups
83. Visions - Abnormality
84. Painkiller - Judas Priest

Depending on if I want to focus on the ease on a real guitar or on RB2 when making the rankings some things would change (there are probably a couple of examples of this that you'd notice just from knowing the songs) but that's a general idea.

This would of course all be done on the real guitar with proper learning methods.

So yea, opinions on this idea would be really appreciated. Heck, if any of you play GH/RB and have another game with a better setlist for this, go ahead and suggest that, too. =]
Difficulty on RB=/=Difficulty on real guitar.

If you were to sort them after difficulty level based on guitar, it would've been a much more different list.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 5, 2009,
I think it'd be interesting, and its a great way to get into a lot of different songs, but I think you could choose a better game than that, most of those songs are pretty easy, even like 3/4 through the list.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Normally I'd advise against using Rock Band to learn actual guitar, but this actually sounds like a really good idea.
Quote by Guitar2theface
I think it'd be interesting, and its a great way to get into a lot of different songs, but I think you could choose a better game than that, most of those songs are pretty easy, even like 3/4 through the list.

Really? For a newbie? Getting the rhythm tight on Bad Reputation for example is a huge challenge. 3/4 of this list isn't EASY if you want to be tight and flawless, which you absolutely want to be. That's the goal.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
This is so cool, I wonder how long it would take to do the full setlist. Definetly figure a way to rank them by guitar difficulty. I think it would be really hard to stick with it after like 5 songs, but if you could go all the way. **** man props to you
Only problem is that then songs like Lazy Eye kind of mess up the whole "FC then learn on real" thing, because of how hard fast strumming is on RB guitar. But yea, like I said, if I rework it to focus on difficulty on real guitar it would be way different. I could actually do that and post the list up if you guys want me to, though it would be really opinionated for me and might not reflect how I'd feel after getting some more finger flexibility, since some chords in these songs might seem rapeish to me right now. For example if I was ranking (I think) GH2 Hangar 18 would be at the top because those intro chords scare the ever living **** out of me (yes I did seriously just ignore the solo for ranking).

Does anyone have a suggestion on a different game if this setlist wouldn't work?
Last edited by Eag1e at Sep 5, 2009,
Dude, Panic attack will rape you. It is hands down the hardest song there to play on actual guitar.

You have absolutely no chance Also, it's in standard Ab tuning, so that might be a bitch.
Oh I didn't see that he was a newb =/ Whoopsie.
Well yeah, if you can organize it by guitar difficulty, I think it'd be a splendid idea.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
if you want to, go ahead, but i think your time would be better spent just learning the songs on guitar if playing them on guitar is what you're ultimately after
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
if you want to, go ahead, but i think your time would be better spent just learning the songs on guitar if playing them on guitar is what you're ultimately after

This way just adds a bit more variety to it, and like I said, I think that being able to play through it with the notes given to me could help me memorize the sequence of parts, the rhythms, etc. So I really personally think that doing it this way, even though the ultimate goal is real guitar, could be beneficial over just learning them on real guitar from the get-go.
I'm just mentioning this, but to me it seems like the better I get at guitar, the worse I do on Guitar Hero, but then my mind is wired kinda funny I think.

I'd be playing guitar hero and try to do vibrato on sustained notes and <_<

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Scrap the idea, man. Familiarize yourself with music through listening and trying to play it by ear, not by going through a song hundreds of times on a game until you get "100%". If you can't do it by ear, just listen and compare to tabs, you'll get by much better.

My belief is this: your memory of how the song works will not improve just because you can play it accurately on a game. If you went into performance mode in GH, I bet you nine times out of ten that you would be unable to do 100% FC because you cannot see the notes. The relevance is that the notes in-game are all you have to connect to the music.. nothing else.

In essence, both GH and RB are a distraction. They're a nice break from the instrument but can't really be used for learning. What you can do is use the libraries from GH and RB and just try to learn them one by one away from the game.
Conflicting opinions =x

Here's the big problem for me: I'd have trouble learning a song I don't like if I don't have a reason to. RB2 gives me that reason because then nobody could say "pick up a real guitar." :P But in all seriousness, since my ISP caught me torrenting and I don't want to risk getting caught with RS/MU/etc and I'm too young to get a job to buy albums, it's hard for me to find anything that I can use as stepping stones, since all of the stuff I listen to is either metal, (southern) rock with complicated solos like Green Grass and High Tides/Bodhisattva, or stuff I'm already able to play. So I don't really know how I'd go about doing that, unless just stepping up to the hard ass **** I listen to and trying to learn it is an acceptable approach.

Btw, performance mode isn't really comparable to this. It's a lot harder in GH to remember button sequences than it is to learn note sequences on a guitar, plus in GH performance mode you can't hit hopos if your timing on an original strum is just a smudge off. What I was saying is that it helps remember the actual song sequence a bit easier on songs that I don't listen to all the time and don't want to spend time listening to.

But yea, if you guys can suggest a better way for me to go about this that'd be great. It's just that, like I said, I've really got nothing to progress with if I just go by what I actually listen to right now. I'd love to learn how to play songs that I actually listen to but unfortunately that's not an option in the current state of things.
Last edited by Eag1e at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by HoffManCometh
Scrap the idea, man. Familiarize yourself with music through listening and trying to play it by ear, not by going through a song hundreds of times on a game until you get "100%". If you can't do it by ear, just listen and compare to tabs, you'll get by much better.

My belief is this: your memory of how the song works will not improve just because you can play it accurately on a game. If you went into performance mode in GH, I bet you nine times out of ten that you would be unable to do 100% FC because you cannot see the notes. The relevance is that the notes in-game are all you have to connect to the music.. nothing else.

In essence, both GH and RB are a distraction. They're a nice break from the instrument but can't really be used for learning. What you can do is use the libraries from GH and RB and just try to learn them one by one away from the game.

Agreed. The tempo in the videogame doesn't always match up with the tempo in real life. For instance, the game might sometimes make you play upbeats, or every other note, especially in the low difficulty levels. You get more accurate tempo on expert, but then you have to practice a lot ... which is time better spent practicing real guitar.

I think Rock Band is awesome for playing with your buddies. And the singing and drumming parts are good for newbs. The guitars? Not so much. I would definitely use a pick on the controller, if you don't already though. Especially as a new player, you don't want to confuse you hand as to what the 'correct' playing position is.
Quote by Guitar2theface
I'm just mentioning this, but to me it seems like the better I get at guitar, the worse I do on Guitar Hero, but then my mind is wired kinda funny I think.

I'd be playing guitar hero and try to do vibrato on sustained notes and <_<

yeah GH pisses me off, especially on easy and medium cause you want to play notes that aren't there

but yeah i can play songs on normal guitar but can't play them on hard on GH so its messed up

my advice, just use the setlist for what songs you want to play if you really want, but don't mix up real guitar and RB, they are completely different