Poll: Is it tacky to use a music stand during a small solo gig?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it tacky to use a music stand during a small solo gig?
Yes, it's quite tacky
14 30%
No, seems perfectly fine
32 70%
Voters: 46.
Is it tacky to use a music stand during a small solo gig? Normally, I wouldn't, but I'm honestly terrible at memorizing any music.

EDIT: sitting on a stool with a guitar
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Last edited by pwninator123 at Sep 5, 2009,
Yeah, just look at the royal philharmonic orchestra. They're all damn walmart using slags.

Pathetic...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 5, 2009,
If it helps you out and makes the overall performance better, fuck what everyone else thinks.
Quote by happytimeharry
If it helps you out and makes the overall performance better, fuck what everyone else thinks.

Live shows are entertainment for the audience, in every sense
It depends on what instrument your playing. If its a piano, it looks fine but if your standing on stage singing with sheet music in your hand it looks a little unprofessional.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by One on Sunday
Live shows are entertainment for the audience, in every sense

didn't say they weren't

Quote by happytimeharry

I did once because I had to play a Bon Iver song that I had just learned that same day. I felt like a tool.

If you can memorize it, do it.

But I agree with happytime harry... whatever will make you perform best
Last edited by rmr024 at Sep 5, 2009,
it would be better than stopping halfway through a song because you forgot the rest and IMO it doesnt look bad
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by happytimeharry
didn't say they weren't

Quote by happytimeharry

depends what kind of music your playing.

ive done it for some solo acoustic songs before.
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
Quote by One on Sunday

The ones that truly appreciate you trying to give your best performance to them, regardless of how you actually look on stage are the ones worth playing for. I don't care how it looks, so long as it sounds good.

TS, if you're really worried about it, still use your stool and stand, but set up a fog machine beside you.
Quote by happytimeharry
The ones that truly appreciate you trying to give your best performance to them, regardless of how you actually look on stage are the ones worth playing for. I don't care how it looks, so long as it sounds good.

TS, if you're really worried about it, still use your stool and stand, but set up a fog machine beside you.

XD I can imagine

"what a beautiful face, I have seen in this place, that is circling all around the...*cough/hack/wheeze/cursehappytimeharryunderbreath*
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Twist of fate
Disguise it so it blends in with the stage and looks like a floating music book to freak everyone out.

That's be awesome

Do something like this, only with a music stand:

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by happytimeharry

Alright, all I was trying to say was that a live show encompasses both aural and visual aspects.

But you're right, it depends on the person.

Personally, I wouldnt pay to see an artist just for listening to their music. Thats why I have good-quality headphones and studio tracks. I like some eye-candy to make the $40 bucks I payed worth it
Quote by One on Sunday
Alright, all I was trying to say was that a live show encompasses both aural and visual aspects.

But you're right, it depends on the person.

Personally, I wouldnt pay to see an artist just for listening to their music. Thats why I have good-quality headphones and studio tracks. I like some eye-candy to make the $40 bucks I payed worth it

Oh I know man, there's a middle ground. I like a show with pizazz as well. The only thing is I don't like it when they're more worried about the stage setup and lighting than actually performing the music. The latter should always be the first priority imo.
Quote by happytimeharry
Oh I know man, there's a middle ground. I like a show with pizazz as well. The only thing is I don't like it when they're more worried about the stage setup and lighting than actually performing the music. The latter should always be the first priority imo.

It's a free show, coffee house type atmosphere
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
I saw the Bloodhound Gang and Jimmy Pop had lyrics taped to the floor.

You'll be fine with a music stand. People would rather see you sit there with a stand than have you mess up a bunch of times.

Hell, Rivers Cuomo was holding lyrics to a song he wrong 13 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sLevhAU_A

I realize you are talking about the actual music, and not lyrics, but its the same idea.
Quote by Twist of fate
Disguise it so it blends in with the stage and looks like a floating music book to freak everyone out.
**** yeah! Hang your book from the ceiling!
Quote by pwninator123
It's a free show, coffee house type atmosphere

A coffee house? Well that's a horse of a different color!!

You need lasers and strippers.
Quote by happytimeharry
A coffee house? Well that's a horse of a different color!!

You need lasers and strippers.

Already booked
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash