Hey, i've been long deliberatingly about a new amp and have come to the decision of. I'm not getting one until i get a job and get a fair amount of money. Being 15 i can't get a job until January when i turn 16. Cab wise, i'm seriously considering the Orange PPC212. Good speakers in it so i assume it's good although i've never actually played one. Is it worth another £150 for the 4x12 version?. Okay so that's cabs, moving on to heads. I want something that'll give me a thick sounding rock/metal tone. I play alot of Classic/Punk/Hardcore/Metal. So just a flat out awesome rock tone will do me. Also, it would be nice if i could get a combo version and then plug it into a cab later as i sorta want to move off the MG15CDR i've got now ASAP. So, about £600-700 combo, or head if you can think of a really good deal. Btw, i play a Mahogany SG, JB & 59 pickups.
You can get a job when you're 15, you're just not entitled to minimum wage.

Or, like me, start promotion or something with your local music industry, it's pretty lucrative.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
You can get a job when you're 15, you're just not entitled to minimum wage.

Or, like me, start promotion or something with your local music industry, it's pretty lucrative.

What do you mean promotion? and yeah i could get a job but only as a waiter really. Apparently in a recession pubs aren't desperate for inexperienced waiters. For some reason no companies seem to employ 15 year olds for any other profession/
Quote by willT08
What do you mean promotion? and yeah i could get a job but only as a waiter really. Apparently in a recession pubs aren't desperate for inexperienced waiters. For some reason no companies seem to employ 15 year olds for any other profession/

I'm not gonna hi-jack your thread with this, but I'll give you my email if you want to learn more.
Quote by Juadafi
I'm not gonna hi-jack your thread with this, but I'll give you my email if you want to learn more.

I want to learn more.

EDIT: So is the choice of Cab a good one guys, or would you recommend otherwise?
Last edited by willT08 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by willT08
I want to learn more.

EDIT: So is the choice of Cab a good one guys, or would you recommend otherwise?

Depends what you're doing with it, really. Are you gigging? Can you crank it often enough to make it worth having?

I'll PM it to you in a bit when I'm on my computer with MSN.
It will be used for gigging. Also for recording, and i have my own "Music Shed" which i'm soundproofing so it will be cranked most days of the week. Does it not sound good at low volumes or what?
I'll be speaking out my ass if I was talking about more than I've already tested/owned, so I have no idea.
Meh, i assume it's not the cabs fault for bad low level tone so it's more in the amp. That DSL thing has some snazzy reviews on here. I need to check one out.
I added you but for some reason i can't talk to you at the mo'. Guess we could PM each other, idk.
I sent you a mail through UG profiles but I'm not sure if you got it. Oh well.

Basically, what I do TOTALLY depends on what your local music industry is like. Luckily for this, I live in South Wales where it's really popular for "DIY bands" and gigs. All you need to start really is about £100 (to hire a venue or something) and really good organization and people skills.

I haven't even told you what I do yet. I promote bands and gigs. I organize gigs in pubs and venues that are local to me, you have to get 3-4 bands that are pretty good, can draw a crowd (whether fans, friends or family), bands that will mesh together nicely on the night, etc etc, bands that charge about £50 are probably out of your league if you wanted to start.

The first gig I promoted I got about 70 people there. Promotion via MySpace and other social networking sites is pretty easy. A bassist in one of the bands offered to design a flyer for me which I let him do, it turned out pretty good. I didn't even print one, you just attach them to MySpace and Bebo comments, get your friends to go and ev voila. Finding bands that WANT to gig but don't often can really help too, because they'll put a lot more effort into getting their fans and friends there than a band that gigs three times a week. Thing is about this is that bands that are looking for promoters are generally pretty bad and not worth hiring anyway. Generally, it's the promoters who look for bands, but whatever, I've found good bands who were asking me for gigs.

They were four mediocre bands that nobody had really heard of, so they didn't expect much pay, say, £15 each for transport. Anyway, 70 people, £4 each, £280. The venue I had was free, but say it cost you £70, that's £210, say you paid all the bands £40 between them, that's about £170 profit. Not bad, eh?

I really enjoy it, meeting new people, making money, doing sound at gigs (I'm an eager wanna-be sound guy). It might not be up your street, but there are other possibilities also, but this is what I do for fun and to pass my time. I'm looking to start doing discos now for younger people (aged about 13+). It's a lot less time consuming as you don't have to organize four bands for the night, but the bottom line profits can be just as high.

All I can say is, don't do this if you're naive, or not willing to see it through or stick with it, because the losses can be enormous. Both to your reputation and money.

edit: this is the flyer that I used, it's pretty cool I thought.

Last edited by Juadafi at Sep 5, 2009,
That poster is pretty tight. I do a bit of Computer aided design myself. Sadly, there's not much of a music scence where i live so i don't see this coming off. Plus, there's like 1 venue anywhere near me which is a bitch to hire out. Good idea though, sounds like a right laugh. Anyways, i need to keep hunting for a decent head.