Page 1 of 2
Since for my english IV class instead of reading Beowulf we're going to read One flew over the cuckoos nest. And I have to go out and buy it or order it online. Since I'm going to order it online I thought to myself hey I don't do much at home and I only work on the weekends I should order some books to read on my spare time.

So pit what other books should I order any recommendations? I'm mainly looking for horror, monster, thriller, suspenseful type books.

And for those who have read one flew over the cuckoos nest is it any good? I mean I'm gonna read it anyways but I'm just curious.

And should I get the first twilight book. I haven't seen the movie so I have no real opinion of it but I'm wondering is the book any decent?
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

A clockwork orange.

It´s a masterpiece. Just read up a bit about the language NADSAT first, otherwise you wont get anything of whats going on.

That and maybe 1984, it is really interesting

Oh and if you´re looking for horror you gotta read som Lovecraft. I suggest At the mountains of madness or Tales of the Cthulhu mythos volume 1. hy have some really ****ed up stories.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Sep 5, 2009,
Well seeing as you are looking at the books to movies theme (i assume that is it unless its a coincidence), get American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange, both fantastic books.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Well looks like I won't get twilight. Boredom makes people think crazy things.

Oh and the book to movie thing is a coincidence.

MAL

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Quote by Gord@k
A clockwork orange.

It´s a masterpiece. Just read up a bit about the language NADSAT first, otherwise you wont get anything of whats going on.

That and maybe 1984, it is really interesting
This, My Antonia and Rabbit, Run were great reads.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by maidenrulz19

And should I get the first twilight book. I haven't seen the movie so I have no real opinion of it but I'm wondering is the book any decent?

The book IS NOT BAD. It just isn't nearly as good as people seem to think. I am almost done reading it for the first time, and I honestly enjoyed it. At first of course, then the fact that they are love really ruined it. It would have been way cooler if Edward ripped her throat out and massacred the town he lives in. Anyways, I will never recommend twilight, but if you must read it, it isn't horrible.
bands/artists I've seen: Protest the Hero, LIGHTS, Andrew Bird, Flight of the Conchords, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, Between the Buried and Me, Guthrie Govan, Cynic, The Devin Townsend Project, Scale the Summit, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Darkest Hour
I'm reading "Animal Farm" and "The Bourne Identity". Both books are really good so far.
The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Then buy the other 6 in the Dark Tower series.

Quote by bendystraw
"The Bourne Identity". Both books are really good so far.

This is a good choice if you are looking for a suspense/thriller type of book.
Already several threads on this matter,

However, I suggest : A thousand splendid suns & The kite runner. Heart wrenching, beautiful honest depictions of the afghan way of life./
a little lost.....
read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. do it.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by Davo Ownz
Already several threads on this matter,

However, I suggest : A thousand splendid suns & The kite runner. Heart wrenching, beautiful honest depictions of the afghan way of life./

I haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet.

The Kite Runner is excellent though. Made me really sad at a couple parts. Really happy at others. Also really shocked at others.

Just a great book.
Quote by maidenrulz19

So pit what other books should I order any recommendations? I'm mainly looking for horror, monster, thriller, suspenseful type books.

I think I should empahsize this part.

And for those people that said no to twilight have you even read the books.

And I read animal farm and I didn't like it at all.

MAL

Even though it isnt horror/suspence you should read something by Hunter S Thompson. He seriously is a writing genious and one of the most fascinating personalitys ever. I suggest The Rum diaries or any of the Fear and Loathing books.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by daytripper75

The Kite Runner is excellent though. Made me really sad at a couple parts. Really happy at others. Also really shocked at others.

Just a great book.

Yea, it sure is, A thousand splendid suns is also by the same author, ATSS'S focus's on the sexism of Afghanistan and how two women overcome it, it also has someone getting murdered with a shovel, so I think you will like it.
a little lost.....
Quote by daytripper75

Just a great book.

"I wish i could put my copy of 'The Kite Runner' on a kite and fly it into the sun."

-Stephen Colbert.
Why don't you just go to a library instead of buying books? Libraries are free, will have nearly every book you could ever want and usually let you keep each book at least a month. Plus, you will have different opinions than people on the internet, so if you buy a book and you hate it, well then you just wasted a bunch of money!
Quote by Davo Ownz
Yea, it sure is, A thousand splendid suns is also by the same author, ATSS'S focus's on the sexism of Afghanistan and how two women overcome it, it also has someone getting murdered with a shovel, so I think you will like it.

Yeah I know it is by the same author. I've been meaning to get it for a while, but I still have like 20 books sitting in my room that I haven't read yet. Not to mention all the reading I do for school on a daily basis.
Fair enough, just make sure you get around to reading it. Have you read the Tomorrow Series by John Marsden?
a little lost.....
One flew over the cukoo's nest is a classic. Hell, when I was in the ward, I 1. read it, and 2. started a poker game that the staff didn't take kindly to.

They actually referred to me as McMurphy for a while which was pretty awesome.
Can't recommend this book enough: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Tompson

It's an amazing book.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Ok uh... Thriller, suspense, horror...

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
Necroscope - Brian Lumley

Then of course there's the Edgar Allen Poe and Lovecraft recs...
I've always heard good things about fear and loathing an American physcho. But I never got into checking them out.

Anyone care to give me a quick little summary of what they're about.

Edit: And the other book reddeath mentioned.

MAL

Last edited by maidenrulz19 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Gord@k
A clockwork orange.

That and maybe 1984, it is really interesting.
Clockwork Orange is setting on the desk I'm typing at right now; I got it from the library, and am going to read it once I'm done with Brave New World, and I've got 1984 on reserve at the library. I win.
Quote by RedDeath9

ps I can't get enough of your avatar, that thing is so hard to kill
Quote by maidenrulz19
I've always heard good things about fear and loathing an American physcho. But I never got into checking them out.

American Psycho (1991) is a psychological thriller and satirical novel by Bret Easton Ellis. The story is told in the first person by fictitious serial killer and Manhattan businessman Patrick Bateman. The graphic violence and sexual content generated much commentary at the novel's release.

American Psycho generated much controversy for Ellis's graphic description of Bateman's murders. Many include some form of sexual abuse or torture by Bateman, in which graphic language is used to describe the scene. Many of the murders themselves involve various forms of mutilation, including genital mutilation. Ellis also provides detailed descriptions of Bateman examining the internal organs of some of his victims after murdering them, as well as scenes in which Bateman cooks and eats human body parts.

Makes me want to read it again.

I haven't read Necroscope - I've just heard it's amazing.

EDIT: Nu ftw.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by RedDeath9

I never got around to ready American Psycho - I might borrow it from the library later on today.
a little lost.....
Quote by Trinitron
The book IS NOT BAD. It just isn't nearly as good as people seem to think. I am almost done reading it for the first time, and I honestly enjoyed it. At first of course, then the fact that they are love really ruined it. It would have been way cooler if Edward ripped her throat out and massacred the town he lives in. Anyways, I will never recommend twilight, but if you must read it, it isn't horrible.

you must have a pretty****ED UPhead!
If you want a well written suspenseful novel, go with anything by Lee Child. His Jack Reacher character is one of the best literary figures I have ever encountered.
Quote by herby190
Clockwork Orange is setting on the desk I'm typing at right now; I got it from the library, and am going to read it once I'm done with Brave New World, and I've got 1984 on reserve at the library. I win.

im reading a brave new world right now only 50 pgs left.... o have to read it for school
Quote by Ibanez49
you must have a pretty****ED UPhead!

You must like spamming the pit?
a little lost.....
Quote by sbinlb
im reading a brave new world right now only 50 pgs left.... o have to read it for school
Huh.... I just got it because everyone on UG was recommending it; I'm only at when they get back from the reservation.
Quote by maidenrulz19

Edit: And the other book reddeath mentioned.

Well There are a few different Fear and Loathing, my favorite one is Fear and Loathing in las vegas.

It is about a reporter who is pretty much insane and his equally demented attorney. They travel to Las Vegas to do a report on a motorbike race but once they get there they sorta drift away from it and start searching for the heart of the american dream.
During the time they are taking a gazillion different types of drugs and go on hilarious escapades through Vegas.

I
It is a extremely deep book that everyone should read or at least watch the movie which has a ton of great symbolism.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

White Noise, by Don Delillo, even though it's not a thriller, just damn good literature. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon is great if you like conspiracy theories.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 5, 2009,
Dracula
Frankenstein
I Am Legend

for horrors. Some classics to get started with.

Also, I'd give World War Z a try. I don't know if it's necessarily a horror, but if you're into zombie flicks you'll love it.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Page 1 of 2