Ok so my squier strat's high E is tuned at the open then its like a semitone out at the 12th. I looked at the thread at the top about tightening the screws or something depending on whether its sharp or flat and I sort of understand. I was just wondeering will this be fixed if I just change strings? cause I've had these for like 3 months or so.
Ok cool thanks, so changing strings fixes intonation. The strings are surprisingly still faily nice to play on to be honest, oh well thanks.
dude, changing the strings doesnt fix intonation.

new strings are just easier to intonate.

so, if you hevent even tried to intonate these, then you're doing yourself a disservice.

all you need to do is fret the string at the 12th fret.

adjust the screw a tiny bit, retune the open string then once again compare it to the fretted 12th and see if it matches.
do that a bunch of times and you're good to go.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
umm... ok I'll try that, I'm going to assume its the screws at the very back of the bridge, cause they look like they would do something.

*goes to find screwdriver*
yeah look at the pic in the green link. it shows which screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 5, 2009,
So I have a screw driver and I'm turning the screw to tighten it to raise the flattened note, but when I have it correct I go to tune my guitar back at the open E and it goes back to being untuned at the 12th. Its like its keeping the same ratio or something.

Why?
well, like the other fella said, it's harder to intonate old strings.

so do this a while, and if you really just can't get it done, at least you tried, swap the strings.

take this as practice, you'll want to intonate the new strings after they break in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well I've been playing it for a bit and letting it where in and from the looks of things I was intonating the wrong way, it is now worse. I'm going to turn the screw the other way and hope for the best, though I'll probably just end up buying new strings soon anyway.

Thanks for your help btw, at least I know what to do next time
i would avoid trying to intonate old strings, as the string may be at fault(which would be my guess). Intonating it at this point will probably just get it further from where it needs to be, and the whole deal will have to be redone after getting new strings.
Quote by David Collins
Change the strings.

Intonation is one of the first things to go when strings get old, and 3 months is old. For a string that has to be like 200+ years old in people years. I prefer to change my strings by late middle age.

about 3 weeks? same.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ~Max~
Well I've been playing it for a bit and letting it where in and from the looks of things I was intonating the wrong way, it is now worse. I'm going to turn the screw the other way and hope for the best, though I'll probably just end up buying new strings soon anyway.

Thanks for your help btw, at least I know what to do next time

did you read the tutorial?

you turn the screw, and compare it to the previous reading.

you should know by the second turn if you were turning it the wrong way.

like said, it's really going to hard to intonate old strings, but you should have been able to get the tunings closer than they were before.

tune the open string.
fret the string at the 12th.
is the fretted 12th, sharp or flat?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62