Page 1 of 2
I played numerous guitars today - Ibanez, Yamaha, Jackson, Godin, Schecter.

Let me see if I can remember. The Ibanez was a fixed trem and kept going out of tune. It sounded great - good power and a nice fat sound with lots of sustain. The neck wasn't that comfortable, maybe a touch too big for me.

The Yamaha had a nice small, slim neck. The trem was a Yamaha floating trem and was great, though a touch light. The sound was terrible; no power or sustain and quite weak.

The Godin was nice - fixed bridge and went out of tune. The bridge pickup sounded good and strong with good sustain. The neck was ok, though a touch fat. The neck pickup was ok but overall it wasn't that flexible for sounds. The clean sounds were disappointing.

The Jackson had a narrow neck but the pickups were terrible. Thin, weedy sound with no sustain. It had a fixed bridge and kept going out of tune too.

The Schecter Black Jack was rather nice, not attractive, but nice to play. Great Floyd Rose trem that stayed in tune. The pickups sounded great, good sustain. The neck was a touch too fat for me and it was decent to play. Too expensive at CAN$1200. All round the best package.
well looks like you haven't tried all guitars...try Caparison's or ESP
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
I agree with the Schecter... What Jackson did you try? and what Ibanez, Godin, and Yamaha?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I got sigged?

And TS, I'd say keep looking. What's your budget? Around 700USD?
^yes, yes you did.

Quote by oneblackened
Must resis-you know what, **** it, that's going in the sig.

And yeah, keep looking, TS. Try LTD, they make a lot of good guitars in the $900 range (is that right?).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They didn't have ESP or Caparison, whoever that is. I don't remember the models - I didn't keep a note of them. It was about CAN$450. My budget is around CAN$600 pre-tax. I'd love a real Floyd Rose but that's not going to happen.

I'm going to try another store tomorrow as they have an Ibanez S520. Otherwise I'll have to wait for a few weeks before I have the time.
Quote by stodge
They didn't have ESP or Caparison, whoever that is. I don't remember the models - I didn't keep a note of them. It was about CAN$450. My budget is around CAN$600 pre-tax. I'd love a real Floyd Rose but that's not going to happen.

I'm going to try another store tomorrow as they have an Ibanez S520. Otherwise I'll have to wait for a few weeks before I have the time.

The S520 will probably be exactly what you want. Also, don't let tuning issues deter you from buying. Floor model guitars (especially ones with a floyd) are usually extremely poorly set up because of people ****ing with them, detuning/retuning them, etc. If you liked the sound of the last Ibanez, but the neck was too big, the S520 should be perfect.

Also, the ZR trem is, at least in my opinion, infinitely better than an original floyd.
Last edited by SlashYourFug at Sep 5, 2009,
You'd probably like the S520, the ZR is a great trem and it's a great sounding guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
good idea. I have an ibanez s series and I love it. I'd totally recommend it =D
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
What guitar have you currently got?

Also it doesn't really help us help you that well if you aren't sure about what model guitars you played.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I have a Wasburn MG34 (this isn't mine)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronarvin/117012502/

It's got to be 10-15 years old, the electrics and pickups are noisy. I know I could keep the body and replace various parts but it's not worth the effort.

I wanted to try the S320 - that would be my choice because the s520 doesn't offer much over it and it's a bit cheaper.

I know - my memory is crap and I was more interested in trying brands to get a feel for what they offer. Next time I might write down the models. :P
Last edited by stodge at Sep 13, 2009,
If you have a Long & McQuade near you go check out some Ernie Balls and Charvels
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I do have a L&M but I'll have to wait a Saturday or two to find the time.
Well, that would explain the crappy tone from the Jackson. That's an entry-level instrument.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I might nip back to the store tomorrow and try a higher Jackson - they don't have many Jacksons, maybe 2 or 3.
Not really going into your list, but rather than buying brand new, you could always look at second hand.......... at that kind of price level, you might actually be able to get yourself a MIJ RG........... I recommend the 550, 24 fret, wizard neck...... those babies play so fast your fingers will be on fire......

If I were going brand new, the Schecters or Ltd's seem to be the best bang for buck IMO.

If you are going the floyd option and brand new, just bare in mind that at your price spec, you will be getting a lower end trem..... Say the ibanez's, that means an edge III... their life span is considerably lower than the Edge Pro for instance...

And for the record, I think the ZR trems suck arse........ Just my opinion though, I know others feel differently..... Horses for courses
I'd rather buy new - I don't trust myself to buy a good used model. And I'd rather buy new in case of issues.

I'm not buying anything with an Edge III (yes that includes your budget models Mr Satriani!), but I will consider an FR Special or an Ibanez ZR (once I try one). I doubt I'll be able to afford an OFR but we'll see.

Anyone know what the licensed FRs are on Jacksons and Washburns? Sorry, I'd post specific models but I'm about to head out of the door.

I haven't seen anything with an Edge Pro yet, but I presume they're out of my price range.
Quote by SlashYourFug
The S520 will probably be exactly what you want. Also, don't let tuning issues deter you from buying. Floor model guitars (especially ones with a floyd) are usually extremely poorly set up because of people ****ing with them, detuning/retuning them, etc. If you liked the sound of the last Ibanez, but the neck was too big, the S520 should be perfect.

Also, the ZR trem is, at least in my opinion, infinitely better than an original floyd.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. Every last word. The S520 sounds perfect for what you were talking about. And especially about the intonation issues, thats what I hate about trying out guitars, you simply cant without havig to deal with everyone elses mess.

Quote by stodge
Anyone know what the licensed FRs are on Jacksons and Washburns? Sorry, I'd post specific models but I'm about to head out of the door.

I dont know about Washburn. But the Jackson LFR easily is the best LFR made. Great as far as intonation when I got it set up
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Sep 6, 2009,
The Washburn ones (at least the higher end ones, anyway) are rebranded Schaller LFR's.
Jackson ones (the JT580 and the JT580LP) are very high quality for an LFR. The JT500 is a POS, though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
You'd probably like the S520, the ZR is a great trem and it's a great sounding guitar.

Is it worth the extra money over the S320.

Thanks folks - great advice all around.
Didn't make it to the guitar store - took the little one to the beach instead!

Is it worth considering buying a guitar at the lower end of my price range with an Edge III (e.g. Ibanez) and then replacing it with an OFR?

http://www.warmoth.com/Original-Floyd-Rose-C693.aspx

Can Edge IIIs be directly swapped with and OFR or is this a bad idea?
Get the Ibanez. The reason it kept going out of tune is because the strings probably weren't stretched, that happens with a lot of new guitars. You have to give it at least 2 weeks and in that time it will go out of tune a lot. But once the strings stretch it won't go out of tune for months.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by stodge

How you managed to detune the RGA42 is beyond me, I have the 32 and I haven't really tuned it much, probably twice since I got it (still has the factory D'Addario's on em and I didn't stretch em... can't wait to swap those for some Elixirs )

And the S series will most likely do what you want, and then some. My only reasons for NOT owning one are my lack to stick to one tuning, and the lack of 24 frets.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Played some more today; primarily the ESP KH-202, which seemed to be the best all round guitar. The neck was good, the pickups were good and the price was good, around CAN$560. It has the FR Special, which I'm not entirely sold on yet. Any comments on this guitar?

I played an Ibanez S520, but the setup was dreadful so I couldn't really try it. The trem was sitting at an angle and the action was really high. I'll try to find one in the last store I want to visit. The pickups weren't very impressive but I don't want to swap pickups after I buy a guitar.

I played a few more, but nothing really stood out.

My wife thought I was byuying at the CAN$1k price point as I'd sent her a link to an RG1570. Heh heh - I just can't justify that much money, but maybe I shouldn't have told her my budget was CAN$500-CAN$750! :P
The KH-202 is made in China - is that something I should worry about?
How much is the KH-202? Signature models are NEVER a good value. I bet for the same price you could get a higher end LTD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I played the Jackson DK2M today - very nice guitar. It felt like a solid, well built guitar. The neck felt nice - smooth, quick, comfortable. The pickups sounded good for rock chugging, but I wasn't too impressed with the neck pickup for clean sounds. I can't remmeber what amp I was playing through but it wasn't a great one. I'm not sure I'm sold on the Jackson LFR though.

I also played the RG1570 again - nice guitar, but the neck wasn't as smooth as the Jackson. The Edge Pro gets good reviews though. The pickups sounded good.

I noticed an Ibanez, but the model wasn't listed so I think it as an RG2550Z or something similar, with 2 humbuckes, 1 single and an Edge Zero. The Edge Zero doesn't get as good as reviews as the Pro so I'm not sure about it. It was the same price as the RG1570 because it had a chip in the body. Not an issue for me, but I'm not sure if I could live with buying a demo guitar from the shop floor.

I played the S320 again - I thought the pickups were awful in comparison to the others. Very cheap and nasty sounding. I would love to only spend the CAN$500 for the S320 but I don't know that I could live with it. I really don't have the time or energy to swap out the pickups in an S320.

None of the guitars had trem arms installed so I couldn't really try them out. None of them stayed in tune so they all needed setting up.

Any comments in comparing these guitars??
Quote by oneblackened
Well, that would explain the crappy tone from the Jackson. That's an entry-level instrument.
My JS Kelly never goes out of tune. It can stay in tune after heavy lead playing for more then 2 days.

And the pickups do suck. I changed them out in mine, but the guitar itself does not suck. I own two other Jacksons (DK2 and KVX10 with Seymour Duncans) and I can say I play the JS Kelly a lot.

It sounds great, so I disagree with this statment. Besides the pickups, it's a fine guitar.

My JS Kelly is an older model (it's made out of alder, not indian cedro), so it may be higher quality though.
I find it weird how The TS is going to generalize those companies based on their entry level Guitars and he cant remember what models they were.
Quote by VGuitarist80
I find it weird how The TS is going to generalize those companies based on their entry level Guitars and he cant remember what models they were.

I'm sorry, who and what are you talking about?
Id go with schecter and if its for metal then get the hellraiser C1. The blackjack ver seems to hav thicker necks. Jacksons are great if they are high quality ones tho.
Quote by VGuitarist80

Seeing as how his budget is within the entry level I don't really see anything wrong with that. What good is it to him knowing that the Jackson Custom Shop produce incredible instruments if he can barely afford an MIM?

Go away you
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I played the RG1570, RG2550Z, S320 and DK2M again today. The S320 was the only one that stayed in tune although its action was way too high. I tried three amps before I found one that I liked. Until now, the guitars sounded awful on all of the amps I'd used (especially the S320). But I managed to find a sound that suited my style. When I arrived at the store I thought the S320 was off the list because of the sound but I think it's back on and I'll try to find one that's properly setup. I know there's a large price difference between the S320 and the others but I want a cheaper option in case I decide I don't want to spend CAN$1k. The Jackson neck felt a bit chunky for me and I'm still not sold on the licensed trem.
Tried the S520, S670 and RG1570 (again!) today. I wanted to see if the S520 felt different than the S320 - it's made in Korea instead of Indonesia. I was disappointed - I really didn't like the neck. It felt very slow and uncomfortable. I was really disappointed with the S670 - almost CAN$1000 for this?? Unbelievable - the neck is edged with plastic that wouldn't look out of place on a kid's toy. The setup on both S guitars was awful - strings were different height, trems weren't parallel to the body, high action... awful.

The RG1570 had lots of fret buzz but it is a much better deal than the S670 at CAN$1100. Though it only stayed in tune about 90% of the time.
Yeah that's what I assumed. I wasn't sure if it wasn't setup right or if there was a physical problem with the neck of guitar.
Page 1 of 2