im talking about head amps and the bigger amp below it. im wondering how do they work together like does the head amp plug into the lower amp or do you have to get a specific pair for them to work. lets say you get a marshall head amp and want it to work with a mesa cabnet that you bought seperate from each other can they work together? and however you do get them to 'connect' or whatever then does the amount of watts matter with them? like if a head amp has too low of watts can it not work with a cabnet amp (the lower one) with a bigger amount of watts? im sorry if none of this makes sense i barely have any idea what im talking about but if you could answer any of those questions id be greatful
The lower 'amp' is a cab. You plug your head's speaker out into the input jack on the back of the cab. Any head can drive any cab. It's just a good idea to have the cab's rating be higher than the amp's.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ermm...not any amp can drive any cab. Not all heads have impedance switching for 4, 8 and 16.
Quote by willT08
Ermm...not any amp can drive any cab. Not all heads have impedance switching for 4, 8 and 16.

The vast majority of modern amp heads have an impedance selector.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ok. the Head amp you referred to is the actual amp. the lower amp you referred to is a cab. you come out of the back of the head, with a 1/4 inch SPEAKER cable, out of the output, into the input on the cab
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Quote by willT08

Doesn't stop them from actually driving the cabs, though. It's extremely advised that you match them, especially with tube amps.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I have a better question: does anyone really know how to successfully use the internet anymore or have we all just forgotten the multi-billion dollar corporation that is beginning to own literally everything--Google?

Or honestly, do you have a guitar store in your town? Go to it and look at one. It's really not that magical.
^ then whats the point of the forums? besides posting new amps etc this forum is used to help newbies with their gear
This comes from a mesa-boogie manual;

Quote by Mesa-Boogie Manual

Mesa/Boogie amplifiers can handle 4 and 8 ohms effectively. Never run below 4 ohms on a tube amplifier unless you are absolutely certain that the system can handle it property/ this can cause damage to the Output transformer. A few apmliefiers can handle 2 ohms effectively without damaging them (for example the Mesa's Bass 400+). You can always have a higher resistance (16 ohms, for example) without damaging results, but too low of a resistance will likely cause problems.

When running a higher resistance (for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet), a slightly different feel and response will be eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler. Sometimes when using more than one cabinet a mismatch will be the only option.

And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Supersonic64
^ then whats the point of the forums? besides posting new amps etc this forum is used to help newbies with their gear

I've always thought one of the main reasons forums exist was to ask for help and get help with things that aren't as easily answered with a search engine. Like...stuff you can't actually find anywhere on the internet.

It's a novel concept, isn't it?
Quote by lllostmotelll
I've always thought one of the main reasons forums exist was to ask for help and get help with things that aren't as easily answered with a search engine. Like...stuff you can't actually find anywhere on the internet.

It's a novel concept, isn't it?

Most of the questions I google, I find the answers from threads people have posted on forums, similar to these. People asking questions like this means that when people search that question in a search engine, it will come up, and they can get their answer.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
Most of the questions I google, I find the answers from threads people have posted on forums, similar to these. People asking questions like this means that when people search that question in a search engine, it will come up, and they can get their answer.

But if it's already out there, you're only clogging the internet by asking it again. But for the sake of relevance, I'll explain what a cab is. It's just a wooden box with a speaker, nothing that actually amplifies the signal. Similar to how in a computer the computer itself does all the calculations and work, and the monitor only shows the result of the computer, a head does something to the sound and the cab simply allows you to hear it.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
When I was first starting I used to subscribe to like 4 guitar mags,went to a store called peeler music(which sadly went out of business about 5 months after guitar center got here pricks )every weekend and just talked about guitars and music with anyone I knew that played no matter how good they were...

So its possible to play guitar and learn about everything guitar without the internet...I had already been playing for about 4 years before I sat down and typed www the first time lol
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think