ok well i have a squire strat and i like alot because ive given it nice pickups but it has a truss rod problem. i was told this when i bought it and they adjusted it for me there i was told that it would need to be adjusted again but i didnt really listen and lately (about at the beginning of june my strings have started buzzing and at first i thought it was the way i was changing my strings and how they were on the tuners because im terrible at changing my strings and tehy are never in perfect coils on the tuners. after changing my strings this time and doing a fairly good job i still have this annoying buzzing and i think its because my truss rod. it is especially bad on my A and D strings from the 5th fret to the 12th fret. i looked at my other strat and look down the neck and the strings go from close at the nut to going slightly out at an angle towards the bridge. there is no buzzing on that guitar so i assume thats good. when i look down the neck on this strat it seems to go almost straight only angling slgihtly in the middle. now i know where and what tool to use to adjust my truss rod but i dont want to experiment with it and accidently adjust it to far in the wrong direction and end up breaking my neck. ive heard that if you adjust your truss rod in the wrong direction it can snap your neck in half, is that true? so basically i just want to know if thats possible and how i should adjust it. if im not being clear please say so
1st. Capital letters are your friends.

2nd. If you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, don't even attempt adjusting the truss by yourself. I would take it in to a shop and let them set it up for you.

Actually it almost sounds like you just need to raise the 4th and 5th string's saddles. That is something you can do easily; just raise the saddles by turning the screws on the top of the saddle with the small allen key. Raise it as much as needed until the buzzing's gone. If that doesn't work, then go to the shop
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by CarryMeHome
it is especially bad on my A and D strings from the 5th fret to the 12th fret. ....

when i look down the neck on this strat it seems to go almost straight only angling slgihtly in the middle.....

so basically i just want to know if thats possible and how i should adjust it. if im not being clear please say so

next time, write something like this so i can understand it.

click the green link in my sig.

look at the first post, checking neck relief.

measure by fretting the first and last fret on Low E, last fret is where neck and body meet.

tell me if you can fit a credit card in the middle part of the board.

then post back
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok first im going to try to raise my saddles, but to do that should i leave the strings on and just untune them a little because as ive said i hate taking my strings on and off
leave strings on.

no need to detune.
edit:unless you feel a lot of pressure moving the saddle. i'm not sitting there with your guitar, so i guess i'm saying there's always a chance you might want to detune a bit, but you shouldnt have to for this small adjustment.

use a tiny allen wrench to lower the 2 pegs front face of each saddle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
leave strings on.

no need to detune.
edit:unless you feel a lot of pressure moving the saddle. i'm not sitting there with your guitar, so i guess i'm saying there's always a chance you might want to detune a bit, but you shouldnt have to for this small adjustment.

use a tiny allen wrench to lower the 2 pegs front face of each saddle.

this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
easy way to check neck relief: fret the first and the last fret on your low string. take a look at the 7th fret (at the actual wire), there should be a very small gap there. If not, the truss rod needs to be loosened slightly. if they gap is very large (much more than the thickness of a penny), then it needs to be tightened slightly. I don't know how thick coins are in other countries, but this gives you an idea.

most players have a preference somewhat less relief than the penny gap, but there does need to be some space (however small between the fret and string (when the string is depressed as stated above)

This is some thing you can easily do yourself, just remember:

NEVER use mire than 1/4 OF A TURN at once!!.

heres how i do it:

all of my guitars have the truss rod adjustment under a cover on the headstock (the common set up) others may be different (carvin bolt ons are a huge pain)

I'll loosen the 2 middle strings and take them out of the nut so that i can access the rod. take the cover off.
make a small adjustment witch ever way need, usually about 1/8th turn, sometimes less
retune all the strings to whatever pitch you will be using.
check the straightness again (using the string depressing method)

if it looks good, put the cover back on and you're done.

If its still not good, let the guitar set for a half hour or so (or play it) then recheck it and make small adjustments as needed.

If you check it the first time and it is way out, then it would probably be wise to seek a professional.

I hope that helps.
^also, don't force the turn, and i'd suggest not turning more than 1/4 turn in a day.

honestly, i was really just waiting for him to measure and post back so i could talk him through the adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62