Hey guys

Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get that ''violin'' guitar tone that players such as eric johnson have

i play a les paul & ibanez rg 560 through a line 6 flextone 3, i also have a t rex mudhoney distortion and a HBE compressor if thats any help

any advice on how to get this tone or settings would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
A lot of that is in technique, IMO
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
fuzz>Tube Driver>analog echo>Cranked Marshall> strat.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by dcdossett65
A lot of that is in technique, IMO

This. I've seen EJ play through both his normal rig and a rig consisting of a Strat into an AC Booster into a Zendrive 2 into a Deluxe Reverb with an Echoplex after the mic and he sounded nearly the same both times.

EDIT: ^He typically uses the fuzz for a more saxaphone like tone rather than his violin tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
its all about gain staging.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Kind of true. I personally think that that the TD is the biggest part of his sound
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Kind of true. I personally think that that the TD is the biggest part of his sound

He doesn't even hardly use one anymore. He replaced it for the most part with an AC Booster.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
He doesn't even hardly use one anymore. He replaced it for the most part with an AC Booster.

Really? That explains why I hated his tone the last time I heard a song of his live.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
thanks for the replies
i know that probably 99% of it is in his fingers as he is like a god obviously!
has anyone stumbled across this tone with their gear?
His tone is pretty much strat into tube driver into cranked Marshall personified.
Quote by Bostonrocks
Really? That explains why I hated his tone the last time I heard a song of his live.

Yea, last 2 times I saw him he had an AC Booster. One gig he had that small rig I listed and the other he had the full rig with an AC Booster in the Tube Driver's place. When was the last time you saw him? He didn't start using the AC Booster until about a year ago I think.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, last 2 times I saw him he had an AC Booster. One gig he had that small rig I listed and the other he had the full rig with an AC Booster in the Tube Driver's place. When was the last time you saw him? He didn't start using the AC Booster until about a year ago I think.

I haven't seen him live but I've watched enough videos and what not. the fender 09 kickoff event was the last time I listend I didn't like it. way to farty. not smooth like it used to be.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtI5UWAQXLg

this is one of the best ways to get his tone IMO
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
To be honest, with humbuckers alone, it wont happen. You need a strat styled guitar, and a british amp, OD, that kinda thing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i may be alone here, but i really dont like his tone. love his playing though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Bostonrocks
I haven't seen him live but I've watched enough videos and what not. the fender 09 kickoff event was the last time I listend I didn't like it. way to farty. not smooth like it used to be.

I believe he was using a reissue Plexi in that video, that would account for the fartiness more than the absence of his TD.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by jakeguitar13
Really?
I think is tone is one of the best in the world....

Eh, I like his tone but my favorite tones are probably those of John Scofield, Robben Ford, Scott Henderson and David Fiuczynski.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I agree with you about robben ford, absolutely incredible
Im huge fan of brad paisleys ac-30ish tone and sonny landreths slide tone is outstanding.
Quote by mmolteratx
Eh, I like his tone but my favorite tones are probably those of John Scofield, Robben Ford, Scott Henderson and David Fiuczynski.

ive never seen anyone mention david "fusion" fiuczynski around here before. in fact, i havent even heard anyone mention him since my days at Berklee.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
ive never seen anyone mention david "fusion" fiuczynski around here before. in fact, i havent even heard anyone mention him since my days at Berklee.

I'm a huge Fuze fan. My guitar teacher recommended him to me 2 years ago and I was hooked immediately. Same with Scofield, Scott Henderson, Robben Ford and a bunch of other players. Did you know a Dave Scher when you went to Berklee?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I've heard that he uses he has his amp through 2 channels at once, one distorted one clean, which adds to it :P
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by nightraven
to get his lead tone you need a wound up plexi. his amp is set super dark. presence is rolled totally off and he uses the strat bridge pickup with tone knob wired to it, and also rolled off quite a bit. this gives him that sort of clapton-y woman tone.
if you need to simulate that with your amp the best bet would be to get a hermida zendrive 2 (which he uses nowadays since he doesn't use the marshalls anymore - just three fender twins).
and then he runs the tube driver in there with just a little boost, EQ totally off. you need a great tape echo or a tape echo simulator. deluxe memory man is a great pedal. dmb lunar echo or skreddy echo are also great ep3 simulators.
you'll also want to use a bright reverb on the marshalls.
loads of his tone is based on his picking style. he picks very precisely and sort of bounces his hand away from the pickguard slightly for that abruptness of the notes in his fast runs.
your best bet would be getting a tube driver. it's expensive but it's worth it. i know EJ doesn't use it as much nowadays but his tone isn't as good these days either
and his zendrive 2/ac booster combo is more expensive than a TD.

how long ago did he ditch the marshalls? he was still using them when i saw him for "Experience Hendrix"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.