I know of amp clipping, and I know it's something you want to avoid. However, what does it actually sound like? I have a feeling I've heard it before.
In a solid state amp, buzzy can full of angry bees sort of sound.
In a tube amp, its sort of warm overdrive (Poweramp clipping) Preamp clipping is just the sound you get when you turn the gain up.
It depends on what you're talking about. You don't want hard clipping but soft clipping is desirable and is why tube amps are so popular.

Look at this for what the waveforms look like.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clipping_compared_to_limiting.svg

As you can see, hard clipping(what most SS amps clip like), has a very square waveform which results in a harsher tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm talking more about SS clipping.

So is the sound more of a harsher sound?

And if anybody can give me a link to a video or something, it would be helpful.
yes, harsh through a ss amp, but pleasing to the ear through a tube amp (or, exactly what you'd want from a JCM800, Dual Rec, etc.). make sense?
Quote by GrisKy
yes, harsh through a ss amp, but pleasing to the ear through a tube amp (or, exactly what you'd want from a JCM800, Dual Rec, etc.). make sense?
So it's as if the treble is turned higher?
In what application? Guitar amplification or PA amplification? Guitar I presume, but if it was PA the answer would be totally different.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
So it's as if the treble is turned higher?

No, it's almost crackly sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No, it's almost crackly sounding.
I really wish someone could give me a soundclip or video, etc.
find a car with a poor sound system and play metal through it with the volume max'd.

/thread tbh
Woot! New Zealand...