The easiest scale to use without thinking is the Em pentatonic. If you want to get into why that is the case, we will delve into quite a bit of theory.

Edit: Don't double-post. (See how easy it is!)
E major, E Minor (Pentatonic), others but i cant think of any right now
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
E minor pentatonic would definitely be your best choice. Just be careful with it because it's not a "perfect match".
Quote by ironmaiden_98
E major
The E natural major scale is perhaps the worst option available. The major sixth and seventh don't make sense over this progression.

Quote by Eastwinn
E minor pentatonic would definitely be your best choice. Just be careful with it because it's not a "perfect match".
Its match is much the same as its match with an E blues progression. No, the notes don't align perfectly, but that dissonance typically sounds good; not every note from the major scale sounds good over every chord in a I IV V progression, so the idea of just taking the scale and going wild without thinking isn't so practical.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
so the idea of just taking the scale and going wild without thinking isn't so practical.

That's what I assumed he wanted to do with it
Are you playing them just as power chords? If you are, I think the chord progression is leaning towards E harmonic minor scale.

If you are playing open major chords, it still works, I'd personally pre-write a solo incorporating the E major scale over the E major chord, the E mixoloydian over the D major chord and use the E minor/harmonic minor/minor penatonic over the C and B major chords.

However that's just how I'd approach it. Find your own voice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud