Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking of either getting an Ibanez RG2550MZ Prestige or a American Vintage ‘62 Strat. I play music from a pretty broad range of music(rock 'n' roll, metal, rock and the occasional pop song). Anyway, I've had a hard time deciding between the two guitar. I need help weighing out the pros and cons of these two or can anyone recommend something better?

My main concern would be the tremolo as my friend previously had a low-end ibanez which went out of tune every time he used it. I'm aware that the prestige has a freaking awesome tremolo system but will this happen with the fender?
no fender trem will not go out of tune. As for suggesting, since your range is so broad id say the strat. The rg will do metal/hard rock well but its pretty limited in that sense. Also amp?
~Defiant~
me, i would go for the prestige just cuz im like that
but for you, for more of a wide range than just metal, i would say the strat
I have a RG2550Z and an American Deluxe Strat. I would go with RG. It's easier to tune, it stays in tune better, and it has a much greater tonal spectrum. The RG just has much more capabilities than the strat. It has humbucker and single coil tones. It has 24 frets. And it has a great trem.
Quote by Aurex
no fender trem will not go out of tune. As for suggesting, since your range is so broad id say the strat. The rg will do metal/hard rock well but its pretty limited in that sense. Also amp?

I'm currently using a laney.

Quote by JELIFISH19
I have a RG2550Z and an American Deluxe Strat. I would go with RG. It's easier to tune, it stays in tune better, and it has a much greater tonal spectrum. The RG just has much more capabilities than the strat. It has humbucker and single coil tones. It has 24 frets. And it has a great trem.

I was under the impression that i would be "stuck" with only a few genres if i go for the ibanez.
Last edited by Moorgan at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Moorgan
I was under the impression that i would be "stuck" with only a few genres if i go for the ibanez.

I really don't understand why people say that Ibanez is a metal company. If they were a metal company, would they use single coils on their most popular models? Ibanez just makes extremely playable guitars. Metal guitarists need more playability than other genres, but that's where the relationship ends. Brands like Gibson and Fender strive to be the exact same as they were in the past (50s and 60s) while companies like Ibanez and ESP strive to be the best for modern players.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 6, 2009,
If the bridge is your only concern, the Edge Zero is a pretty nice tremolo. As said, the Fender trem would probably go out of tune before the Edge would because it doesn't lock - that said, the Fender trem isn't for dive-bombing or any of that.

They're both pretty different guitars and their respective styles are also very different, so you'd be best to go to a store and try them out through amps and see which sound and fee you like better. The humbucker on the Ibby is a plus given the styles of music you play, but you could just as easily put a stacked humbucker into the strat (that's what I've done with mine). In both cases, you'll be pretty stuck within genres, which is why many people play more than one guitar.

edit:

Quote by JELIFISH19
I really don't understand why people say that Ibanez is a metal company. If they were a metal company, would they use single coils on their most popular models? Ibanez just makes extremely playable guitars. Metal guitarists need more playability than other genres, but that's where the relationship ends. Brands like Gibson and Fender strive to be the exact same as they were in the past (50s and 60s) while companies like Ibanez and ESP strive to be the best for modern players.

Because Ibanez guitars are primarily marketed at the metal audience.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Sep 6, 2009,
if your not going to use that tremolo bar then dont get the rg. get the fender. theres not point of getting the rg if your not going to use that floating trem.
but if you do the rg2550 all the way
Quote by DIFTWOOD
if your not going to use that tremolo bar then dont get the rg. get the fender. theres not point of getting the rg if your not going to use that floating trem.
but if you do the rg2550 all the way

I disagree. I'd get the RG either way. Its much better suited to rock/metal than the Strat.
Ibanez!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibanez RG Prestige is WAY more versatile of a guitar than a Fender.
Quote by AvAmelia
Ibanez!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibanez RG Prestige is WAY more versatile of a guitar than a Fender.

What do you base that on?
I would go for the Ibanez. It's higher playability will make it easier to play period. It has both humbuckers and a single coil which will give you the best of both worlds. And assuming you are staying in one tuning the edge zero is a better tremolo. Not to mention I think the RGs are a much fresher and overall better take on the classic strat design aesthetically.

The Strat is very long scale compared to most guitars. This one has only single coils which is a disadvantage when considering versatility, although they can be replaced with stacked humbuckers, that is an extra cost and hassle.

There is noting inherently wrong with a strat and I like them a lot. But I feel they pretty much stay in the realm of classic rock and blues. If you want to do more than that you either mod your strat or you get something else.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Last edited by Zmatt at Sep 6, 2009,
the fender trem CAN go out of tune. it's a vintage tremolo, its meant mainly for subtle trem use and maybe an occasional divebomb. not for the punishment an ibanez trem could handle. the original edge trem is amazing, and i believe they've only improved since.

and you're only limited to the genres YOU like to play. not sure why people think a certain guitar can only play certain genres. strats and les pauls have done EVERYTHING, from metal to country. why would an ibanez only be able to play metal, shred, or vai or satriani type stuff? it plays what you want it to, and it'll sound great doing it.

plus (unless i've searched for the complete wrong models...) you'd save a crapload buying the ibanez. i have them at $1000 for the ibanez and $1800 for the fender? maybe i just got that mixed up, but if so get the ibanez prestige AND a strat.

and about versatility... here's a picture of an ibanez HSH guitar and the settings it's 5 way switch will give you

Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
plus (unless i've searched for the complete wrong models...) you'd save a crapload buying the ibanez. i have them at $1000 for the ibanez and $1800 for the fender? maybe i just got that mixed up, but if so get the ibanez prestige AND a strat.

Yeah, the price of the fender was way up there.

Anyway, i just called the dealer and found out that the RG2550MZ isn't in stock anymore and the RG3550MZ is only available in the US(damn!). I think i'm leaning towards the ibanez cause of the humbuckers and edge-zero tremolo. I've been looking at the RG3570Z and RG3620Z (I'm aware that it's more expensive than the 2550). The only problem i have with the 3620 is that there's no single coil which could add some versatility with the guitar.

Anyone got any recommendations in the Ibanez Prestige series?
Quote by littlephil
I disagree. I'd get the RG either way. Its much better suited to rock/metal than the Strat.

i wish someone would explain that to Dave Murray, and Yngwie Malmsteen, The guys in Sepeltura, They just dont get it do they?
Quote by Moorgan
Yeah, the price of the fender was way up there.

Anyway, i just called the dealer and found out that the RG2550MZ isn't in stock anymore and the RG3550MZ is only available in the US(damn!). I think i'm leaning towards the ibanez cause of the humbuckers and edge-zero tremolo. I've been looking at the RG3570Z and RG3620Z (I'm aware that it's more expensive than the 2550). The only problem i have with the 3620 is that there's no single coil which could add some versatility with the guitar.

Anyone got any recommendations in the Ibanez Prestige series?

Try looking for the RG2550Z or the RG2570Z. If you're thinking about the RG3620Z, look into a J. Custom. You may be able to find one for around the same price as the RG3620Z. The RG3620Z is the same quality as the other Prestiges but J. Customs are higher quality. But all of the Prestiges are the same quality, they just vary in specs. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 6, 2009,
not being a big fan of the ibanez neck profile, i would suggest an HSS style strat. It also depends on wether or not you want a floating trem. If you dont plan on using it much a floating trem can be a real pain, and you've pretty well limited that guitar to one tuning. even just going to drop d will require retuing all of the other strings.

I've never been a big fan of floating trems, but i just dont really know how to use them without sounding like a wanker.

so im pretty biased towards the strat. but if you're talking spending that kind of scratch, go check these guitars out at a store.
Ibanez or Strat? You decide. Some people just dont like the thin neck profiles of Ibanez, though I find them a little too thin for my preferance. Therefore, try them out.

If you intend to doing abusive whammy stuff, I would go for the RG though there are Strats with floyd roses on them as well. Otherwise, you can always go for a vintage trem RG or Strat. Therefore, I feel that the bridge shouldnt be a real problem.

Anyways, try out the AT100-CL, its like a mix between a strat and a RG.
Well to be honest I just bought an Ibanez RG1570 and now I wish I bought a Fender strat with some humbuckers or just saved for a PRS.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
Well to be honest I just bought an Ibanez RG1570 and now I wish I bought a Fender strat with some humbuckers or just saved for a PRS.

Whats bothering you about it??

Quote by GuitarGuy X
If you intend to doing abusive whammy stuff, I would go for the RG though there are Strats with floyd roses on them as well. Otherwise, you can always go for a vintage trem RG or Strat. Therefore, I feel that the bridge shouldnt be a real problem.

I heard that the floyd rose is over-rated....?
Fender strat is overrated. Not much versatility, playability is just normal, nothing special. The pickups are fine for blues and rock but it doesn't go much heavier than that. The trem doesn't lock so it goes out of tune if you do something like a divebomb. Ibanez on the other hand you can play pretty much any genre by splitting the humbuckers. You can whammy the crap out of it and it won't go out of tune. And Ibanez necks are thin and comfortable to play.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Playability
Versatility
Comfort
Style

IBANEZ
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by Zmatt
I would go for the Ibanez. It's higher playability will make it easier to play period. It has both humbuckers and a single coil which will give you the best of both worlds. And assuming you are staying in one tuning the edge zero is a better tremolo. Not to mention I think the RGs are a much fresher and overall better take on the classic strat design aesthetically.

The Strat is very long scale compared to most guitars. This one has only single coils which is a disadvantage when considering versatility, although they can be replaced with stacked humbuckers, that is an extra cost and hassle.

There is noting inherently wrong with a strat and I like them a lot. But I feel they pretty much stay in the realm of classic rock and blues. If you want to do more than that you either mod your strat or you get something else.

The RG and Strat both have the same scale length - and the Strat is great for other genres, as its superb cleans are great for Funk, Reggae, Ska, Indie, etc., so what on Earth are you talking about?

IMO, the Strat is more versatile [better cleans IMO], but it does lack a humbucker [for metal, etc.].
If Fender, I recommend a HSS strat.
But, the Ibanez is also just as good.

I highly recommend just playing them in a store and seeing what you prefer.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Moorgan

Just the fact that the Edge trem on it take so much care and they're difficult to re string and say if you're playing a gig and you break a string you have to put it down and get another guitar cause I was playing a gig with my guitar teacher and he had to put his down.

But the sound is amazing and the neck is amazing.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Quote by Tokai09
Just the fact that the Edge trem on it take so much care and they're difficult to re string and say if you're playing a gig and you break a string you have to put it down and get another guitar cause I was playing a gig with my guitar teacher and he had to put his down.

But the sound is amazing and the neck is amazing.

The Edge Zero is just as easy to fix as a fixed bridge. The bridge doesn't even go out of tune and the only extra thing you need to do is use the allen wrench, which is on the back of the headstock, to unlock and lock the string at the bridge and nut. It will only take 2 seconds longer. And it's always a good thing to carry a backup guitar. Not many audiences want to wait while the guitarist fixes his broken string. He probably would've done the same with any guitar. There's a reason he had a backup there in the first place.
Quote by Moorgan

I heard that the floyd rose is over-rated....?

I've not really heard anything bout Floyds being over-rated but I'm pretty sure the OFR is great and do rival the higher end Edge bridges.
Here's another idea: Buy an Ibanez Rg1550m with the Edge Pro trem, Buy a Tremol-no, and maybe some new pickups because you would have saved some money.

The Tremol-No is a cool little gadget, here is a youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec

The website to order one is here : http://www.tremol-no.com/default.asp

Just something to think about.
Quote by JELIFISH19
He probably would've done the same with any guitar. There's a reason he had a backup there in the first place.

If half way through I wouldn't and neither does he or my other friends who play gigs do. That's what makes a good guitarist just being able to carry on if a string breaks. I was half way through a solo and a string broke and I still carried on and I played the same guitar for the next song until someone got hold of a back up guitar.

Quote by Tokai09
If half way through I wouldn't and neither does he or my other friends who play gigs do. That's what makes a good guitarist just being able to carry on if a string breaks. I was half way through a solo and a string broke and I still carried on and I played the same guitar for the next song until someone got hold of a back up guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50daDePbOz4&feature=related

2:17 vai breaks a string at the beginning of the solo. carries on. it's definitely possible to carry on until a point where changing guitars wouldn't ruin the song.

if you're using the 'being able to carry on playing when a string breaks' as the requirement for being a good player then neither you or your teacher are good players as you're giving up without even trying.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

if you're using the 'being able to carry on playing when a string breaks' as the requirement for being a good player then neither you or your teacher are good players as you're giving up without even trying.

Sorry but that is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. If you carried on through a song with broken and you are able to improvise that doesn't make you a bad guitarist. I've somone break two strings on stage and carried on.

Quote by Tokai09
Sorry but that is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. If you carried on through a song with broken and you are able to improvise that doesn't make you a bad guitarist. I've somone break two strings on stage and carried on.

I was saying that because you aren't willing to try and play with a broken string on an edge type bridge you're obviously not a good guitarist by your own standards.

it's definitely possible, I provided you with a video which proves this. yet your teacher put his floating trem equipped guitar down when his string broke.

in the end it comes down to a workman blaming his tools. not to mention that it isn't even an issue with the guitar the TS is looking at.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I was saying that because you aren't willing to try and play with a broken string on an edge type bridge you're obviously not a good guitarist by your own standards.

it's definitely possible, I provided you with a video which proves this. yet your teacher put his floating trem equipped guitar down when his string broke.

in the end it comes down to a workman blaming his tools. not to mention that it isn't even an issue with the guitar the TS is looking at.

He did try to play with the broken string but it kept getting in the way of what he was doing.

You don't say people are bad guitarists when you never seen them play. My guitar teacher is a grade 8, he graduated from the ACM and his band just recorded with Eddie Kramer at Abbey Road. So that doesn't make him a bad guitarist if he's got that under his belt.

I haven't played my Ibanez yet at a gig but I just played a festival where my string broken when I was playing a song and I carried on.

Quote by you
You don't say people are bad guitarists when you never seen them play

Quote by you
That's what makes a good guitarist just being able to carry on if a string breaks.

your own words. I'm just pointing out how stupid it is. considering it's entirely possible to continue playing on a floating trem equipped guitar and you said that your teacher couldn't do it, by that logic he's a bad (or average at best) player. You know yourself that he's decent at the very least, yet your own argument says he's not good.

Quote by element4433
Quote by IPlaySchecter
i wish someone would explain that to Dave Murray, and Yngwie Malmsteen, The guys in Sepeltura, They just dont get it do they?

so you're saying an RG is not more suited for rock/metal then a strat just because it isn't impossible to play metal on a strat?

you make no sense.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC-1000
Ibanez 540S MIJ 1990
PodXT
Micro Cube
Quote by Lemoninfluence
your own words. I'm just pointing out how stupid it is. considering it's entirely possible to continue playing on a floating trem equipped guitar and you said that your teacher couldn't do it, by that logic he's a bad (or average at best) player. You know yourself that he's decent at the very least, yet your own argument says he's not good.

I said he could do it but the string was getting in the way, once he done his part he put it down and got another one....it was only the riff to Whiskey In A Jar so like what 10 seconds (?) he played with a broken string.

Quote by falconthefirst
Fender strat is overrated. Not much versatility, playability is just normal, nothing special. The pickups are fine for blues and rock but it doesn't go much heavier than that. The trem doesn't lock so it goes out of tune if you do something like a divebomb. Ibanez on the other hand you can play pretty much any genre by splitting the humbuckers. You can whammy the crap out of it and it won't go out of tune. And Ibanez necks are thin and comfortable to play.

Funny, how Iron Maiden uses them, right? Also, ibanez RG are super strats, if I recall, so they have the same shape. Man, Leo Fender must have done something right.

TS: It depends on you. Go play both, find the one that's more comfortable. American Vintage '62 uses the C Shape profile with the 7.25" vintage radius. If you're looking for something more modern, you can check out the Hot Rod '62 or the new Eric Johnson rosewood model (you can get em used for about $2,000 on ebay).

Also, there's Warmoth, which will allow you to make your guitar however you want. So that's always an option too.

My vote goes to the strat though, thin necks have never been my thing, always were uncomfortable to play.
In my opinion, Ibanez is just as versatile as a Fender, if not more. I like alder better, but basswood is a bright, versatile metal, the humbuckers let you play hard rock, metal, whatever, and the mid single coil gives you a nice clean tone when you need it. The thin neck (if you like it anyway) will make everything easier to play, not just shredding stuff. You don't need to use the FR if you don't want to, but when you need it, its there for you.

Of course then it all comes down to whether or not you like the neck, which is really a make or break thing.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Page 1 of 2