Page 1 of 2
C'mon, he really is. Your level of greatness as a guitar player doesn't come from skill, but also other stuff. Like Cobain thought up some of the most recognizable and catchy riffs that I've heard. Boy am I gonna get flamed and reported up the wazoo, but I had to share my opinion. Anyone agree with me?
Regin Smiður
Opinion, but be prepared to be flamed by the metal elitists that only read the title.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Last edited by WyvernOmega at Sep 5, 2009,
Obviously.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
no, cobain was a average at best guitar player he just played the style of music that was popular at the time, and for the record the best thing he ever did was shoot himself in the face
*reported*

we don't need this, and nobody wants to discuss this subject anyway
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Kurt was a really good songwriter, but his guitar playing skill was average at best.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by lol2theworld
How's he a troll?

He's trying to incite a "fight".

It's not going to work though, if everyone remains mature.

Ha.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
no, cobain was a average at best guitar player he just played the style of music that was popular at the time, and for the record the best thing he ever did was shoot himself in the face

Hair metal was in at the time. Then came Nirvana.
i disagree but i think he was a great musician.

its pretty difficult to sing and play alot of his songs at the same time and he was a great songwriter.
we're each allowed our own opinions. mine is that he's greatly overrated but by no means a bad musician. he's just given way too much credit by some which offends some others who retaliate by accusing him of being completely horrid.

as a guitar player though i don't think he's even really worth mentioning. again though, it's all a matter of opinion.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Last edited by arizonagt at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by GREENWARRI0R
Completely overrated.

He's not horrible but nowhere near what a lot of people make him up to be.

+1

But I do think he was a great song writer.
Quote by Camm
He's trying to incite a "fight".

It's not going to work though, if everyone remains mature.

Ha.

wrong.
I actually want to know what people's opinions are on the matter.
Regin Smiður
please stop forcing you're opinion upon everyone else
not everyone HAS to like cobain or admit he's a good artist because you think he is

and no you didn't HAVE to share it, no one asked you to
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Honestly, I'm a better guitar player than him (maybe not, but he's really not that good.). That's not to say that I'm a better musician or songwriter than him. He's not known for being a good guitar player, because he isn't. He's known for his songwriting skills.

Let's take State Radio as an example. If anyone knows State Radio, you can back me up on this one.
Chad Urmston is not any better at guitar than I. And State Radio is my favorite band. It's not about technical skill. It's about the feel, and the music, not about the guitar playing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 5, 2009,
He's more talented as a songwriter IMO, but his guitar playing is simple, yet the patterns are unique.

/flameshield.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by WyvernOmega
Opinion, but be prepared to be flamed by the metal elitists that only read the title.

Yes, but it's the WRONG opinion.

Quote by Solus_Luna
I agree, seriously. I mean, has Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, or any other really technical guitarist wrote songs and riffs that are nearly as memorable as anything of Nevermind? Being a good guitarist means playing things that sound good, no amount of technicality or theory can change that simple fact.

Actually, playing things that sound good means you are good at playing things that sound good, which can't be used to decide on skill because that will be different for everyone. Being a good guitarist would be having the ability to play well, which is pretty much the opposite of what you said.

Quote by TheEmoStrangler

While I agree with what you're saying, telling people that the best thing he did was kill himself is only going to start an argument.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Sep 5, 2009,
Kurt Cobain is a great guitar player song writer.

Yes, I agree.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I agree, seriously. I mean, has Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, or any other really technical guitarist wrote songs and riffs that are nearly as memorable as anything of Nevermind? Being a good guitarist means playing things that sound good, no amount of technicality or theory can change that simple fact.
Quote by vicarious46
please stop forcing you're opinion upon everyone else
not everyone HAS to like cobain or admit he's a good artist because you think he is

and no you didn't HAVE to share it, no one asked you to

No one asked you to post here. You didn't HAVE to. But you did anyway. Why can't he then?
Quote by TheEmoStrangler

Shut up.

That being said, I think Cobain was more of a great songwriter. As musician he was no virtuoso, but he was not THAT bad.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Quote by i_don't_know
Hair metal was in at the time. Then came Nirvana.
Hair metal died like 3 years before Nirvana. Alternative was already breaking out anyways(and ironically, so was "real" metal, it would only last for like 2 years though).
Quote by imicius
Cobain's lyrics >>>> Cobain's guitar ability.

What on earth are you talking about? No one knows what the hell that guy was even talking about.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Solus_Luna

You guys can't always use Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai as scapegoats for lack of talent or catchiness. They all have their moments, which in my opinion, is better than what Kurt Cobain ever pulled off.

LOL I can't believe you used Paul Gilbert. I honestly just noticed. Clearly you've never heard Technical Difficulties, or pretty much anything Paul Gilbert has written.

Really. Using a guitarist built on poppy riffs isn't a good arguing point.

Listen, Kurt Cobain was OK. Nothing more, he really wasn't skilled, but he could play his way around basic chords to lull everyone whilst he growls into a microphone, seducing you all with his ruggedness as a "singer"

Point is...He was OK.
Page 1 of 2