So, on my quest to find a good amp. I am at Peavey. I play classic rock (AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc.) I was wondering what Peaveys are good. I have looked at the Classic 30 and the Windsor on Youtube, and they sound pretty good. Are they good for my style? (i have also looked at Orange Rocker 30/Tiny Terror, a Marshall Haze, and a Marshall JCM800)

EDIT: I don't really have a budget, as I will be saving up. But I'd like to get the amp sooner.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Sep 6, 2009,
all those u listed are good for classic rock. not sure about the rocker 30 though.
which marshall are u talking about?
also check out the vox night train and the orange dual terror.
if u switch from clean to overdrive a lot, u should go with peavey classic 30 cuz its got 2 channels.

whats ur budget?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
if ur looking to maybe cheap out, used classic 30s can go for DIRT cheap on guitarcenter.com's used section, or ebay. its probably a little more versatile than the tiny terror. i cant really comment on the others.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
if ur looking to maybe cheap out, used classic 30s can go for DIRT cheap on guitarcenter.com's used section, or ebay. its probably a little more versatile than the tiny terror. i cant really comment on the others.

Yeah i'd reccomend the Classic 30, great amp, takes pedals well, and gets loud :P
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
im selling my peavey ultra plus
120 watt all tube
3 channels
message me for more info
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
JSX MAN

sorry, had to get that out

it is awesome though
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
The XXX series are super nice!!
i broke a xxx once if that counts??
5150s are really over rated imo
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
You say you've looked at the JCM800, what were your thoughts on that? It sounds ideal for you. The Windsor is also commonly referred to as a poor mans JCM800.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
You say you've looked at the JCM800, what were your thoughts on that? It sounds ideal for you. The Windsor is also commonly referred to as a poor mans JCM800.

Yep.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I really like the JCM 800, but jeez is it expensive! What, what be better, the Peavey Windsor or the Classic 30?
Quote by guitarlord28
I really like the JCM 800, but jeez is it expensive! What, what be better, the Peavey Windsor or the Classic 30?

Out of those two, the Classic
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Why is the Classic 30 better than the Windsor head? If the windsor is the poor man's JCM800, shouldn't it be better? Are these two amps better then the ones I mentioned in my first post? And, can they get classic rock tones from Zeppelin to AC/DC to The Who to Sabbath?

BTW: This will be my second amp. I have only owned a MG15DFX, so...yeah. Many questions coming
Quote by guitarlord28
Why is the Classic 30 better than the Windsor head? If the windsor is the poor man's JCM800, shouldn't it be better? Are these two amps better then the ones I mentioned in my first post? And, can they get classic rock tones from Zeppelin to AC/DC to The Who to Sabbath?

BTW: This will be my second amp. I have only owned a MG15DFX, so...yeah. Many questions coming

The Windsor is alot thinner (in terms of sound) and more harsh than a JCM 800.

I've heard it's possible to mod them to JCM 800 specs with less than ten bucks in parts, and I'm sure there's someone out there who does it...

The Haze is also supposed to be like a JCM 800, but of course, in a lower wattage (meaning faster breakup) and with a smaller transformer. If you do buy the Haze, make sure you get a different cab with it, the stock cabinets are rubbish.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 7, 2009,
Uh, I hate the thinner sound. My MG has a horrible thin sound and I hate the cleans. So a Classic 30 would probably be better for my style rather than the Haze, Windsor, Vox, or Oranges? It can reach that Zeppelin, AC/DC/ , Who, Sabbath, etc. sound? Would it hold up in small to medium gigs?

I probably won't get a JCM800 cause of the price and I don't really need that loud/big of an amp...yet.
Buy a triple xxx head and a reverb pedal and your there, people say they have too much gain but it can be TURNED DOWN. I have an xxx head and gig with it frequently it's awesome never take a backup because it has never failed me once
Out of the amps mentioned, the Classic 30.

I also suggest you try a Bugera V22. Great amp, and pretty fheap right now. I liked it better than the Classic 30 for Classic rock.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by thedekker
JSX MAN

sorry, had to get that out

it is awesome though

haha yeah those are aweomse amps, i love Peavey's amps, JSX, XXX, 6505 (my fav), 5150, Windsor (Nice amp, not too goo cleans but u can get them) and Classic 30 (Great amp, i want one haha)
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
yes the windsor is ok but the cleans break up real quick on it and that's the most common complaint on it. Though as for mods I've seen and heard some on the tube that sound good. I have a Valve King which is also fairly versatile. The head is 550 and it rocks. you have a good range in gain and with the texture controls to roll between class A and A/B you can dial in classic rock no problem. The Classic 30 is great and the guy selling the Peavey Ultra well those are awesome as well. so depending on what you want those are my recomends from Peavey. I tried the Bugera 6262 at GC the other day and turned it back off in 1 min of playing was not impressed at all very thin sounding, was hoping for more and glad I passed on them when I got the VK.
Peaveys, by and large, are voiced too far towards the modern end of things for classic rock. The classic 30 is decent in this regard, and so is the windsor to some extent, but you have to be careful with the gain. Most other peaveys- 5150, XXX, JSX, etc- are simply too bass-heavy and modern to do the classic rock tones.

With your budget you have much better options than peavey, since you're really not looking for massive gain and low end. I think if you're checking out things like the Rocker 30 and the marshall reissues (1974x would be a good choice) you shouldn't even be considering a peavey. Take a look at the vintage modern series, the Haze amps, the traynor blue, vox AC30CC, those sort of amps.