1. Madvillain - Madvillainy (east coast/abstract)
2. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (east coast)
3. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) (east coast/hardcore)
4. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (east coast)
5. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (instrumental)
6. J Dilla - Donuts (instrumental)
7. Nas - Illmatic (east coast)
8. NWA - Straight Outta Compton (west coast)
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory (east coast)
10. Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet (east coast)
14. GZA - Liquid Swords (east coast/hardcore)
15. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (east coast)
16. Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner (UK)
17. Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP (midwest/hardcore)
18. Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown (east coast)
19. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (southern)
20. Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain (east coast)
21. Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow (west coast)
22. Binary Star - Masters of Reality (midwest)
23. Non Prophets - Hope (east coast)
24. Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst (abstract)
25. Quasimoto - The Unseen (west coast/abstract)
26. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free (UK)
27. Sage Francis - Personal Journals (abstract)
28. Aesop Rock - Labor Days (east coast/abstract)
29. The Streets - Original Pirate Material (UK)
30. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (east coast)
Last edited by RinestoneCowboy at Oct 3, 2009,
as of right now, its been changing rapidly!! Just dove into hip hop on a serious level like 6 months ago

1. Outkast- ATLiens
2. Eminem Marshall Mathers LP
3. The Roots- So Do You Want More??!?!?!?!
4. The Roots- Things Fall Apart
5. Talib Kweli- Quality
6. Eminem- Slim Shady LP
7. Beastie Boys-Ill Communication
8. The Fugees- The Score
9. Outkast- Aquemini
10. Arts The Beatdoctor- Transitions

alot of repeats< i usually like era's of artistry, I mean I could have included a hell of a lot of Tribe called quest, Mos Def, Dead Prez and etc. But these are my top ten as of now.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Hmmm....

1. Mos Def - Blackstar
2. Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
3. Black Star - Black Star
4. Eric B and Rakim -Paid in Full
5. Hocus Pocus - 73 touches
6. The Roots - Things Fall Apart
7. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool and Food & Liqour (I think of them as one album, The Cool is just a continuation of Food and Liqour)
8. Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots
9. Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
10. GZA - Liquid Swords

Nas - Illmatic is in my top 11
Last edited by pwnerer at Sep 6, 2009,
In no particular order

The Art of Resistance - Project Lionheart
Revolutionary Vol. 2 - Immortal Technique
The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
Hitch Hikin' Music - Classified
The College Dropout - Kanye West
Lucy Ford - Atmosphere
Illmatic - Nas
The Old Prince - Shad K
Visions of Gandhi - Jedi Mind Tricks
36 Chambers - Wu Tang Clan
Say G & E - The Grouch & Eligh
Ready to Die - The Notorious B.I.G.
Power in Numbers - Jurassic 5
The Dusty Foot Philosopher - K'naan
Almost Famous - Living Legends
Straight Outta Compton -N.W.A
The Dark Side of Oz - The Problemaddicts
Black Snow - Snowgoons
KING - T.I.
The Chronic 2001 - Dr. Dre
Atmosphere - Overcast!
Atmosphere - Godlovesugly
Brother Ali - Shadows On The Sun
Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
Dre Dog - I Hate You With A Passion
Andre Nickatina - Hell's Kitchen
Mac Dre - Young Black Brotha
Mac Dre - Stupid Doo Doo Dumb
Mac Dre - Al Boo Boo
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I could never get into Madvillainy. Always seemed too pretentious to me.

Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang
The Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
Flobots - Fight with Tools
The Roots - Game Theory
Nas - Illimatic
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
GZA - Liquid Swords
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Train of Thought
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
I have the album. I guess you could say I could never give it a good LISTEN, if you know what I mean. What tracks would you suggest to change my mind?
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
CunninLynguists - A Piece Of Strange
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Future Development
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
CunninLynguists - Sloppy Seconds, Vol. 2
Blackalicious - Nia
Aesop Rock - Float
MF Doom - MM... Food
The Herbaliser - Very Mercenary
CunninLynguists - Will Rap For Food
Quote by pwnerer
Really? That's it?

Sorry Had 5 minutes before I had to go.

1- Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
2- Dr. Dre - The Chronic
3- N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
4- The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
5- Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
6- Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
7- Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell
8- Xzibit - 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz
9- Dead Prez - Let's Get Free
10- Eminem - Relapse

For those of you who haven't heard Dead prez - I suggest you take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0JJKHfiGis

I apologize about my small post before.
a little lost.....
Madvillainy- MF DOOM
tie betweenLabor Days/ None Shall Pass- Aesop Rock
Operation: Doomsday- MF DOOM
Midnight Marauders- A Tribe Called Quest
The Mouse and The Mask- DANGERDOOM
Liquid Swords- GZA/ Genius
Overcast!- Atmosphere
A Tribute to Christina Ricci- Felt
For Whom the Beat Tolls- Canibus
Atmosphere - If Life Gives You Lemons
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
Westside Connection - Bow Down
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
GZA - Liquid Swords
Proof - Searching For Jerry Garcia
D12 - Devil's Night
NWA - Niggaz4life
Nas - Illmatic

Wow it's tough only coming up with 10.
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Quote by 666Sabbath666
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly

yes
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
In no particular order..

Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Design
Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Gandhi
Jedi Mind Tricks - A History of Violence
Jedi Mind Tricks - The Psycho-Social
Jedi Mind Tricks - Legacy of Blood
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 2
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free
Flobots - Fight with Tools

That's all I've got.
Rap sux lol nah jk

1.Enter the 36 Chambers- Wu Tang Clan
2.Return to the 36 Chambers
3.Tical-Method Man
4.Whut?? Thee Album-Redman
5.Lets Get Free- Dead Prez
6.The Humdinger-Nappy Roots
7.Bobby Digital In Stereo- RZA
8.Liquid Swords- GZA
9.Greatest Hits- Cyndi Lauper
10.The Infamous-Mobb Deep
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Last edited by chrismetal86 at Sep 20, 2009,
1. Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star
2. Nas - Illmatic
3. Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
4. Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader
5. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. ATCQ - Low End Theory
8. De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
9. Pete Rock - Petestrumentals
10. Talib Kweli - Quality
Quote by pwnerer
Immortal Technique isn't that great. Don't let his name fool you

I feel like I'm the only one who hates Immortal Technique. His lack of flow hurts my ears.

Quote by 666Sabbath666
I feel like I'm the only one who hates Immortal Technique. His lack of flow hurts my ears.

I don't hate him... He's ok...

But yes, his flow is horrible. I don't like DJ green lantern. And although I think he's righteous as ****, sometimes he just comes off as a conspiracy nut.
Quote by pwnerer

But yes, his flow is horrible. I don't like DJ green lantern. And although I think he's righteous as ****, sometimes he just comes off as a conspiracy nut.

I hate his lyrics so much, they make me mad. But for some reason he gets so much praise on these boards.

ODB- Return to the 36 chambers
Gravediggaz- 6 feet deep
Notorious BIG- Ready to Die
Del tha Funkee Homosapien- Both sides of the brain
Wu-tang Clan- enter the wu-tang (36 chambers)
Bone Thugs- Creepin on ah come up
DJ Screw- 3 N the Mornin Pt. 2

whatever. 7 is enough.
Quote by pwnerer

I reckon his best work is when he's not rapping about politics

e.g One, You Never Know, Dance With
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 25, 2009,
1. GZA - Liquid Swords
2. Nas - Illmatic
3. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
4. Dr Octagon - Dr Octagonecologyst
5. Detron - Deltron 3030
6. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
7. Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full
8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
9. Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
10. Mad Villain - Madvillainy
In no particular order:

1. Geto Boys - We can't be stopped
2. Public Enemy - Fear of a black planet
3. Ice-T - Iceberg (freedom of speech)
4. 2 Live Crew - Nasty as they wanna be
5. Gangstarr - step into the arena
6. Naughty by Nature - self titled
7. LL Cool J - BAD
8. 3rd Bass - the cactus album
9. Cypress Hill - self titled and black sunday
10. N.W.A. - efilrofzaggin (yes I know... but it's how it appeared on the album)

I have lot's of honarble mentions as well but that would take a long while...

hip-hop was so much better back on the day!!!!! Miss those days!!!
"We've all been someones ammo at some point in our life..."

someones ammo ... my band.

Quote by LaidBack
Don't put it down your throat? It is only supposed to be slightly in your mouth dude, not deepthroating it.
Immortal Technique is an acquired taste I've found. When I first found him back in '06 by accident I wasn't overly impressed. In fact I think it was sometime around the summer of this year that I really started to understand and appreciate his music. I agree, he is at his best when he isn't rapping about politics, but his ferocity and passion make up for his lack of flow. Also "You Never Know" has been the only song to successfully make me cry in almost a decade. I've found his music to be invaluable when helping people with more mainstream tastes ease into the underground hip hop world. I've noticed that a lot of the more spiritual stuff like Gift of Gab and Aesop Rock tend to drive people away, not due to dislike, but due to lack of exposure. After spending years of listening to the "hard" rap oozing out of the radio stations, people start to believe that's all there is. With artists like Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, and Chino XL I have shown people that hip hop does always need to be about materialism or hedonism as demonstrated in mainstream hip hop, but it can be an intelligent medium for getting your point across. Also, the artists I listed earlier still have that "hard" style to their image, so it really is the best of both worlds. Anyhow, here's my list (with explanations because lord knows you should never have to explain your opinion )

(This is in no ranking order)

Sadistik - The Balacing Act

Relatively new guy on the hip hop scene but what an impact he has made already. Hailing from the rainy streets of Seattle, this youngin' (only 22) has found a very nice little niche and latched onto it. His rhymes are incredibly deep and personal and showcase his vast vocabulary and wordsmith skills. Not only that he has a very nice flow and has exhibited the ability to rhyme incredibly fast, almost to the standards of Tonedeff. If you haven't already checked out his album The Balancing Act then I highly suggest you do so because it was one of the best albums of 2008.

Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocket Ships

He was my first real independent hip hop artist that I ever really got into and is ultimately the reason why I am so big into hip hop now. His song "Alphabet Aerobics" was put on a mix CD somebody gave me and I immediately went back to the source and said I needed everything from this guy. Since then the rest is history. He is one of the best wordsmiths around, has an amazing flow and a vast intellect which really help him transcend the standards set by people before him. His 2nd solo album is coming out at the end of this month and is one of the few albums not of the metal genre that I am excited for.

CunninLynguists -A Piece of Strange

Made up of three incredibly talented and intelligent individuals, Deacon the Villain, Natti, and Kno. Deacon the Villain makes up a vast majority of the vocals on the later albums along with Natti who joined on after their debut Will Rap For Food while Kno took over most of the production work for them. In 2005 they dropped one of the most important and underrated hip hop albums of all time, A Piece of Strange. A concept album about life, spirituality, and mankind's place in it all with some incredible guest artists and some of the most relaxing yet tantalizing beats I have ever heard. With that album these guys from the South not only proved to me that not all Southern Hip Hop is crap, but forever ensured their spot in my prestigious "top 10 albums ever" list.

Random - Mega Ran 9

I'm sure a lot of people will be scratching their heads with this one, either confused as to who this artist is, or confused as to why he's on my list. Well, Random for all intent and purposes is a hip hop artist who's taken to using old soundtracks from the Mega Man series and has created a persona from it. Since 2007 he has been brilliantly crafting a story involving the character Mega Man, or in his case Mega Ran. Earlier this year he dropped the sequel Mega Ran 9 which made the first one sound like it was produced in a garage. His story telling ability has launched him onto a level that is reserved for only a few. Anyone with ANY interest in the Mega Man series really needs to check this guy out, he may just bring with him a wave of nostalgia to your childhood.

mc chris - mc chris is dead

Sure he sounds like a 10 year old boy but this man has some serious chops that many people do not notice because of the vocals. If you can allow yourself to get past the vocals you will hear the intelligently thought out lyrics and little in-jokes hidden in his songs. Not only that but his skits are pretty humorous, if a little drawn out. His 2008 album mc chris is dead was one of the more underrated albums that really showcased his writing ability as well as his beat making ability. Him along with MC Hawking are really the only two nerdcore artists I have found who's music is actually worth listening to.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days

This guy really seems to garnish a lot of hate, however I think the hate is more from confusion than actual dislike. At first listen it's quite easy to mistake his lyrics as mere nonsensical verses that cover up his apparent lack of thoughtful writing, however when one really delves into his lyrics, you start to find the hidden meanings behind that apparent nonsense. Most people, however, are not as patient so they write him off, then when they come across people who praise this man, they are confused as to why people would like him. This is just the observations I have found while scouring Internet forums. Aesop Rock was my 2nd independent hip hop artist that I ever got into, so there is a certain sense of nostalgia, however I use to listen to his song "9-5er's Anthem" every day on my walk to work at 5:45 A.M.

Busdriver - Fear of a Black Tangent

Technically this man is actually the first independent hip hop artist I ever got into and I'm willing to bet that a lot of us heard him in the same place. For me it was his song "Imaginary Places" on the Tony Hawk Underground game that first introduced me to him. I immediately went off to find the song and after I got it I would listen to it religiously for over a year. However this was practically back in caveman days before things like Last.fm and Myspace were popular and well known so I never really followed up on him and as the years passed he faded away as another memory. It wasn't until 2007 when I was in the car with someone I worked with and he popped in the album Fear of a Blank Tangent that I was reminded of how amazing this guy's rhyming skills were. While I'll admit I was a little disappointed with his 2009 album Jheli Beam it still was an amazing album in terms of rhyming capability. Much like with Aesop Rock, if you take the time to really listen to the lyrics (or read them if you're fortunate enough) you can start to decipher what they really mean.

Exposition - Leave a Penny Take a Penny

The MC from the Boston live band hip hop group Audible Mainframe went off and did a few solo albums in the gap between their 2005 EP War To Be One and their 2009 sophomore album Transients. While doing these solo albums we are further shown just how intelligent this man really is. His ability to tragically paint out the flaws in society in neither an angry or accusing tone is something that many artists seem to miss, which in turn turn off a lot of potential fans. Sometimes he forgets this and goes off for one or two songs, but for the most part he does a good job at remaining neutral, giving people the facts rather than his biased opinion, something I wish CNN and Fox News would start doing because frankly... PBS News is ****ing boring.

MF Grimm - The Downfall of Iblyis: A Ghetto Opera

If I had to choose between either MF Grimm or MF DOOM I would take Grimm every time. He is that missing link between the hard life story telling of mainstream hip hop and master wordsmith of independent hip hop. In 2000 he dropped one of the most important albums of all time, The Downfall of Iblyis: A Ghetto Opera, all in one day while out on bail. While in jail he studied law and saw how bad of a job his defense lawyer did and got his lifetime prison sentence cut to just three years and was released in 2003. Since then he jumped back into the hip hop scene, dropping two major albums, a numerous amount of EPs, and doing production work for up and coming hip hop artists. He is also an avid comic book writer who's own biography "Sentences: The Story of MF Grimm" is one of the best comics I've ever had the pleasure to read.

WarsawpacK - Gross Domestic Product

I'd be really surprised if someone else knew who this band one, surprised and incredibly happy. For those unaware they were a Canadian live band hip hop group that added elements of funk to their sound. Best described as "Like if Rage Against the Machine took a chill-pill". Their debut album Gross Domestic Product didn't light a fire in the broad spectrum of things, but it did give them a dedicated following. Their ability to write the intelligent, thought provoking lyrics that cried out for social change were far superior to the angry anthems of other bands. Unfortunately the band could not sustain itself and quickly folded after releasing their sophomore album in 2003.
I like to explain my opinions because if people wish to disagree with it or challenge it they have something to go on. Also a list is pretty much meaningless without any reasons to back them up. I've also found that when you're forced to explain your opinions it means you spend far more time thinking it through. It also is a great way of finding out if the albums in question are really your favourites or if they're the only ones you can name. That list in particular was really hard to narrow down because there's so much amazing hip hop out there if you know where to look for it.
Quote by LoathsomePete
I like to explain my opinions because if people wish to disagree with it or challenge it they have something to go on. Also a list is pretty much meaningless without any reasons to back them up. I've also found that when you're forced to explain your opinions it means you spend far more time thinking it through. It also is a great way of finding out if the albums in question are really your favourites or if they're the only ones you can name. That list in particular was really hard to narrow down because there's so much amazing hip hop out there if you know where to look for it.

You sure are hella loathsome, pete.

1) The Dark Side Of The Oz - The Problemaddicts
Just got massively into this recently. Probably biased by my love of Pink Floyd, but the lyrics and flow on this album are the best.

2) The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
This album got me into rap.

3) Angles - Dans le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip
His stuff might be too British for you if you're American, but Scroobius Pip is one of the most intelligent rappers I've listened to and he this an amazing self-awareness and lack of a need to act like the big man. Dans le Sac makes cool electronica beats, too.

4) I Got Next - KRS-One
The first rap I listened to that made me realise rap could really, really deal with social issues, stuff that was deeper than straight gangster rap or Eminem's savage jokes.

5) Endtroducing - DJ Shadow
Again, an eye-opener. One of the first instrumental albums I listened to, just an amazing mix of genres.

6) The Slim Shady LP - Eminem
Got me into rap with the Marshall Mathers.

7) Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa
Got this around the same time as Endtroducing, really great electronica/funk beats.

8) Kkkill The Fetus - Esham
I can see why Eminem said he was one-third Esham in some song. It's like a mix of the disgusting Eminem humour songs and KRS-One-y social commentary.

9) Deadringer - RJD2
Jazzy as hell. Really great mix of a load of different (lots of instrumental) styles of hip-hop.

Honourable Mention at 10:
Demon Days - The Gorillaz
Not a hip-hop album, but the rapping De La Soul does on this album is some of my favourite rapping ever.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
1. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang - 36 chambers
2. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
3. Immortal Tehnique - The revalutionary vol.1
4. Dizzee Rascal - Maths & English
5. Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
6. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
7. Giggs - Freedom of Speech
8. Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
9. Shady Records - The Re-up
10. Eminem - The Eminem Show
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.