I've been working on this for a while now and imo i've come a long way. However whenever I start to really speed up it gets a little noisy. When I pull my fret hand fingers off it tends to sound more like a pull off and thus gets noisy. How are you supposed to do this without the pull off effect? =\
Roll them fingers
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Are you using a metronome? Anyways, you should only be speeding up once you feel confident, REALLY confident at whatever speed you're doing. Second, work on you're right hand muting, the fleshy part of your palm should lightly touch the strings right after you release you're fingers from them. Other than that, just practice really, oh yea make sure you're lifting your fingers directly up, and not in a pull off motion, it also helps to mute the string if you're still touching the string just a moment after you release the pressure off of it, not just let your fingers shoot up.
The only way to improve on sweep picking is to go Really slowly.

The process in learning sweep picking is dead boring.
I've been through it.
Start out slowly only, to get the fingering right, then slowly move into a faster pace.
Is it easier to use rolling or use my palm for muting?
@whoahesgood i can play the song(s) just fine it's just I want to clean it up more. =\
i use the flesh of my thumb for muting, but im sure that what whoahesgood meant was to get it clean, not just get it fast.
Wouldn't that make a pinch harmonic? And i can do it slow perfectly and even at somewhat higher speeds fine. It's when i really go at it the strings are getting muddy cus my fingers come off them too fast for it to mute them.
Quote by ScoutPilfer
Wouldn't that make a pinch harmonic? And i can do it slow perfectly and even at somewhat higher speeds fine. It's when i really go at it the strings are getting muddy cus my fingers come off them too fast for it to mute them.

For pinch harmonics you need to attack the strings more than usual, here your just dampening the strings from ringing out. When you go faster you tend to forget good technique as your just focusing on hitting the notes as fast as possible, so your playing will tend to get sloppy. Im afraid theres just no substitute for practice. Like whoahesgood said, you should really slow down until your VERY confident and still retaining good technique, then slowly speed up. Also use a metronome to keep yourself in time. Sorry to be 'that guy' that says practice and a metronome, but its a tried and true method and is the fastest way to get good at them. Good luck with them though mate
For a more detailed answer.

If you're not up for what I said then try this.

I used to have the same problem, which I quickly resorted to slow practice sweep picking again.

But what you're supposed to do, is to Mute it which the edges of your palm as you move up.

Move your palm too as you sweep up, and the down part is a bit tricky, but you'll learn it.

Palm mute, but not Too much, just enough to get rid of the vibration.

Or, when you release your fingers from one string to another, make it a smooth transition.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
If you aren't already, switch to your neck pickup and turn the gain down a bit on the amp. The key to clean sweeping is entirely in your fingering hand. When you take your finger off of the string, the tip of the next finger that you are using to play the next note should be touching that string you just pulled off on. This finger will mute the string. The key to mastering this is to practice it really slowly so that it gets ingrained into your subconscious. Then, when you work it up to speed, your technique will be flawless. You might want to check out http://insaneguitar.com/master-classes/technique/sweep-picking-101 . There are some good pointers there on cleaning up your sweeps. Good luck with it!
Quote by joelwanasek
If you aren't already, switch to your neck pickup and turn the gain down a bit on the amp. The key to clean sweeping is entirely in your fingering hand. When you take your finger off of the string, the tip of the next finger that you are using to play the next note should be touching that string you just pulled off on. This finger will mute the string. The key to mastering this is to practice it really slowly so that it gets ingrained into your subconscious. Then, when you work it up to speed, your technique will be flawless. You might want to check out http://insaneguitar.com/master-classes/technique/sweep-picking-101 . There are some good pointers there on cleaning up your sweeps. Good luck with it!

See that's what I needed to know for the rolling thing =]
Thanks