Hi,
I currently play through an Ashdown EVOII 500 stack (with a 1X15 cab and a 4X10 cab). I don't really have a problem with the amp, (and if you call me an idiot for playing through a bass amp, I don't really care, it sounds good.) the cleans and the valve OD are both great, and the amp is extremely loud. However, being a bass amp, it has no real capacity for any high-gain sounds; which I usually use.

I'm currently using a Digitech Death Metal pedal, which certainly has more than enough gain, but to be perfectly honest sounds pretty terrible. I'd like to find a really good distortion pedal I can put in front of the amp to get the high-gain lead sounds I need. It doesn't need to be completely OTT, just a nice amount of articulate distortion (something like Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai) as I don't want to have to buy another amp.

I'm currently interested in the Keeley modded MT-2, and that is within my price range (I'm willing to pay up to 150 GBP for a seriously good pedal).
Is this a good bet? Is there any other pedals I should consider? (e.g. the Digitech TL-2) Or should I just get a new amp?

Thanks.
Gear:

ESP Horizon FR (Snow White)
Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
Last edited by metallicaddict at Sep 5, 2009,
I've heard great things about the Metal muff..
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
But would it be good as a pedal in front of the amp?
Gear:

Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
If you want a Vai tone, go for a modded DS-1 or AMT Tube Platinum. The MT-2 won't get you that type of tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by metallicaddict
But would it be good as a pedal in front of the amp?

it would only be good infront of the amp, but it won't get you Vai. sadly, neither will a Keeley MT-2 Twilight, although it is a goddamn amazing distortion pedal.
I think I need a little bit more 'oomph' than the DS-1 mod, although I think it sounds great.

Also, I don't necessarily need to sound like Vai, I'm just looking for that level of distortion. Distorted, but not like stupidly pointless Nu-metal distorted (which is what my Digitech Pedal gives me). I want all the harmonics to come out clearly.
Gear:

Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
Last edited by metallicaddict at Sep 6, 2009,