Poll Options
View poll results: Analog or Digital?
Analog
11 24%
Digital
34 76%
Voters: 45.
Page 1 of 2
I was looking at buying an EHX Memoey Boy, after hearing many good things about it, but I started to think that maybe an analog delay isn't good for me. I play stuff like The Devil Wears Prada, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, August Burns Red, The Black Dahlia Murder, Bring Me the Horizon, and All That Remains. I've never had any experience with delays, and I'd like to avoid going to the store to try them haha. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
*Analog VOICED digital delay. such as, MXR carbon copy, or BYOC Ping Pong
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1

wut.
Seriously? You want to avoid trying them first? You deserve whatever you end up with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by TK1

What are you talking about? The CC is all analog, not analog voiced

Also, digital is better for longer delays, and analog better for short delays.
Last edited by Sguit at Sep 6, 2009,
TC Electronic Nova Repeater delay!

Same price as the DD-7 and it has a built in tap tempo... it sounds great.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572

+1...1...1
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Last edited by DiizZ at Sep 6, 2009,
I have both and like both so i didn't vote.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD

Okay lets lay this down.
Budget?
At the moment I will stick torwards $100 from your example of a memory boy.
Is tap tempo needed?
Do you even know what it is?

Honestly Digital delay seems like your best bet
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Honestly Digital delay seems like your best bet Why do you think that?
In those genres delays need to be precise. Go digital.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by The_Bosstone
Why do you think that?

Metal of any form requires some form of technicality, and a taptempoless analog dlay would be all washy in a solo.

Digital delays are more versatile.

Digital delays go cheeper with more setting so someone with an assumed lowbudget such as $100 might not be able to afford many analog delays, eliminating a factor of choise.
Yeah, that make sense. I think Ryan (BurnTheDusk) still has a DD-6 up for sale for like $85 or sometihng. PM him.
Quote by drCoSmO1
I was looking at buying an EHX Memoey Boy, after hearing many good things about it, but I started to think that maybe an analog delay isn't good for me. I play stuff like The Devil Wears Prada, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, August Burns Red, The Black Dahlia Murder, Bring Me the Horizon, and All That Remains. I've never had any experience with delays, and I'd like to avoid going to the store to try them haha. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Wut, why?

Just try some out, bring money so they know you're going to buy.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I've got a Boss DD-3 that's been serving me well for the past year or so. (sorry in advance for the noobishness of this question but...) What's the big deal about analog delays? Like I understand how they work differently and everything, but is the quality of the echo just better or something?
Quote by Vandals572

The DD-7 has tap tempo and 40 seconds of recording.
^isn't it a lot harder to use though unless you have the external switch?
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by DiizZ
Quote by Vandals572

+1...1...1

+1 (that or the Nova Delay).

Also lol
Quote by nightraven
low end digital delays just sound sterile and decay in a really boring way. analogue delays sound organic and warm and all that mumbo jumbo. much more atmospheric.

This..

Though I use my DD-6 (well, not very low end), for legitimate repeats, not for atmosphere (in which I use the Echo Park on either tape or analog voicing (sometime digital, but depends))
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Well for those genres i'd go with a digital one like dd-3, it's an ok pedal but if you can afford more go for the dd-7. I use a carbon copy myself though, and i love it.
Quote by nightraven
low end digital delays just sound sterile and decay in a really boring way. analogue delays sound organic and warm and all that mumbo jumbo. much more atmospheric.

I got a behringer dd400 a few days ago on the cheap, know what you mean about it being sterile

mainly use it to mess around with so not all is lost I guess
Quote by Vandals572
^isn't it a lot harder to use though unless you have the external switch?

Hold the pedal down for 2 seconds to activte the tap feature. I don't think i'd call that "hard to use".
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Metal of any form requires some form of technicality, and a taptempoless analog dlay would be all washy in a solo.
You think? I was going to get a MXR CC for my tapping leads, would I benefit more from a digital?

Your thread just got JACKED!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by mmjohn
Hold the pedal down for 2 seconds to activte the tap feature. I don't think i'd call that "hard to use".

It's not hard to use, but it's certainly not as convenient as having another switch you can instantly go over to and start tapping to get tempo.

Who knows? maybe in the middle of the song, those 2 seconds are very important and you don't want to have to spend them getting your tap tempo to work.

On topic, for most metal applications like what you want/need, i would definitely suggest digital over analog.
a very nice digital delay with high quality ADA converters are leagues beyond any analog delay imo.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
For versatility, and clean repeats than digital.

For that atmospheric kind of sound for trippy sounds and whatnot than analog.

Personally, digital.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Mack56
It's not hard to use, but it's certainly not as convenient as having another switch you can instantly go over to and start tapping to get tempo.

Who knows? maybe in the middle of the song, those 2 seconds are very important and you don't want to have to spend them getting your tap tempo to work.

On topic, for most metal applications like what you want/need, i would definitely suggest digital over analog.

Come on if your playin a song Wouldn't it be smart to be in TAP mode when the song starts. This isn't ROCKET SCIENCE GEEEZZZZZ!
Quote by mmjohn
Come on if your playin a song Wouldn't it be smart to be in TAP mode when the song starts. This isn't ROCKET SCIENCE GEEEZZZZZ!

Sometimes you need to change tempo in the middle of the song.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Sometimes you need to change tempo in the middle of the song.

exactly. the main reason i like a digital delay with tap tempo is because you never know when you'll need to adjust the speed of your delay and tap tempo is the easiest, most convenient way to do so. Especially in the middle of a song.

that convenience kinda goes out the window when you have to lose time during the song to do so.
Quote by Mack56
exactly. the main reason i like a digital delay with tap tempo is because you never know when you'll need to adjust the speed of your delay and tap tempo is the easiest, most convenient way to do so. Especially in the middle of a song.

that convenience kinda goes out the window when you have to lose time during the song to do so.

YO HOLMES START THE SONG WITH THE TAP TEMPO ON........so you don't have to STEP ON IT FOR 2 SECONDS DURING A SONG. Man is it that tough to figure out? And how many songs to you play where your changing tempo in the middle of a song?
Quote by mmjohn
YO HOLMES START THE SONG WITH THE TAP TEMPO ON........so you don't have to STEP ON IT FOR 2 SECONDS DURING A SONG. Man is it that tough to figure out?

...well, now i feel like you're trying to be a troll, but i might be wrong so whatever

Yeah, sure. that works at the start of the song. but what about the middle of the song when you turn your delay pedal on but the tempo isn't the same so you need to change it? wait? oh yeah, you would need to wait 2 seconds to begin to fix the problem.

that's my main peeve with boss digital delays, namely the DD-6
Line 6 DL4
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay

. . . are probably your best options. You can save presets and recall them mid-set. I had my DL4 set for long, modulated delay, short slapback delay, and some weird volume swelling thing. I don't think an analog delay would be a good option for you.
Quote by Mack56
...well, now i feel like you're trying to be a troll, but i might be wrong so whatever

Yeah, sure. that works at the start of the song. but what about the middle of the song when you turn your delay pedal on but the tempo isn't the same so you need to change it? wait? oh yeah, you would need to wait 2 seconds to begin to fix the problem.

that's my main peeve with boss digital delays, namely the DD-6

Just think for just a second here. You start in one tempo then you turn off your delay. Here is the tough part for you to understand When You need to turn your delay back on you just simply step on the pedal for 2 seconds and your in tap tempo mode.....not you turn it on and then step on it for 2 seconds. It takes a second or 2 to step on 2 different switches with a dedicated tap button.