ok, I put a killswitch in my guitar a while back, using a normally closed SPST from radioshack, and today I saw in the killswitch thread that it wouldn't hum as bad if you used a normally open switch, and wire it so that when the switch is closed it'll ground it out instead of just cutting the signal like with the NC.

just in case I'm bad at explaining, I drew up a picture

so I did that, and now when I let off the button there's a momentary delay before it come back as in i hit a note, push the button, signal cuts, i let go of the button, brief pause, it comes back.

it didn't do this before when I had the NC just cutting the signal, so is this normal when doing it this way? this just doesn't make sense to me and is getting a little irritating because I don't understand why it would do that.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
ok, I put a killswitch in my guitar a while back, using a normally closed SPST from radioshack, and today I saw in the killswitch thread that it wouldn't hum as bad if you used a normally open switch, and wire it so that when the switch is closed it'll ground it out instead of just cutting the signal like with the NC.
Post this in the Killswitch thread, please.

Thanks
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
just revert back to a NC switch, it seems like a stupid idea to me to use a NO, also let him post here, he isnt doing any harm, and hes actually going to get answered, if he posted in one monolithic thread, he wont get an answer, and if he does he probably wont notice due to teh 20 post before it, and 20 posts after it,
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
just revert back to a NC switch, it seems like a stupid idea to me to use a NO, also let him post here, he isnt doing any harm, and hes actually going to get answered, if he posted in one monolithic thread, he wont get an answer, and if he does he probably wont notice due to teh 20 post before it, and 20 posts after it,

that's why i didn't post it in the huge ass thread at first, and SYK I know you probably know the answer because I saw a couple of posts by you in the killswitch thread when i just went and posted it there. thanks for the help.
Always wire a killswitch to ground your signal. breaking the signal is what's causes the buzzing. I've wired a gibson style toggle into a ON/OFF/ON killswitch. It all makes sense once you remember to ground not break. a push to make across the jack socket's lugs is best for a button gibson style is great switch one incase you knock it, it never switches off, flicks to the other ON position (done that a couple of times). you using momentary or latching switch? Momentary is better for killswitches.
how I've found best way to wire killswitch (button wise):
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Sep 6, 2009,