Hello Dear Musicians!

I am planning on producing a Music CD with covers of world famous songs aimed at all generations and all tastes!

100% of the profit will be going to charity thus I will not be making any money myself!

Is there any legal side advice you can give me?

From what I've gathered, I would have to contact the original composer/writer of the song and earn their permission. Also I would have to have a charity backing me up!

But what about other things like do I have to register my project? Tax? Things like that!

The recording would be done all LIVE in my "studio" and then put on a CD and sent out to be copied odd 200-300 times, then to sold on the Streets of London!

Any pitfalls and legal stuff I should be aware of?

Thanks!
I'm unaware for england, but in Australia, you'd need to be selling them under a trade name, perhaps a non profit organisation of the same cause could offer theirs?

Tax - ??? I think charity gets away with tax

Copyright - You'll definately want to get the recordings copyrighted so no one steals them and sells them themselves
Ok I understand the "Under the trade name" or in my case "under the name of a Charity Foundation"

Tax- Yea you are right

Copyright- obviously I will copyright the name of my project and the music we record, my question was whether or not I will neeed to gain permission from the original composers/writers who own the rights on music
Quote by Klugzy
Ok I understand the "Under the trade name" or in my case "under the name of a Charity Foundation"

Tax- Yea you are right

Copyright- obviously I will copyright the name of my project and the music we record, my question was whether or not I will neeed to gain permission from the original composers/writers who own the rights on music

I can't imagine you being able to contact them. Your not anyone well known. If its only 200-300 CD's I don't think that most artists would bother pursuing you.
When I said "contact" I meant either record label or doing it through just the main mechanism...e.g. something like PRS

and it's not the pursuing me part that I am worried about, I just don't want to get involved in charity work by breaking the law and doing something illegal it's democracy after all!
Well...it would cost me £100/year...I mean yea that's not too much with sponsorships...but it frustrates that today I have to spend hundreds of pounds just to be able to start helping other people...
Quote by Klugzy
Hello Dear Musicians!

I am planning on producing a Music CD with covers of world famous songs aimed at all generations and all tastes!

100% of the profit will be going to charity thus I will not be making any money myself!

Is there any legal side advice you can give me?

From what I've gathered, I would have to contact the original composer/writer of the song and earn their permission. Also I would have to have a charity backing me up!

But what about other things like do I have to register my project? Tax? Things like that!

The recording would be done all LIVE in my "studio" and then put on a CD and sent out to be copied odd 200-300 times, then to sold on the Streets of London!

Any pitfalls and legal stuff I should be aware of?

Thanks!

^ lot's, your dealing with copyrighted music. You have to obtain the licenses and pay royalties. It can be done though if you have money.
shred is gaudy music
Mmm I see what you mean....it's a shame, kind of defeats the whole point of charity
if your doing it on a small scale I don't think your gonna get sued or anything...especially for charity.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
dirkgently is either a law student or a lawyer (i can't remember which) if he's still active on UG he'd probably be glad to let you know what he can.
Yes of course it is all on the small scale. I am not planning to send it to shops etc.

It's just one thing I fear is being thought of as a SCAM. I mean, I want to have paper proof that all the money I earn are being given to a charity...simple word is not enough nowadays. And if im honest, I can't blame them.

Do you think getting support of my University might help?
Quote by Klugzy
Mmm I see what you mean....it's a shame, kind of defeats the whole point of charity

As far as I know, the charity thing is irrelevant in terms of the legality of using copyrighted music.

I would suggest finding a way to give something that you own.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 6, 2009,
I am giving my time and commitment, as well as providing my own recording equipment for anyone who wants to use it, that's all I can offer being a student!

Alternative question-

do I have the right to distribute a Cover of A song on a CD without charging for it?

for example the loop hole i was thinking of is just collecting money with a charity box but for any donations of over £3 ($5 ish) I also give the individual a complementary CD?
^ i don't think anybody here would have a good answer for that, google it or perhaps call a local lawyer. i would think right off the top of my head though that'd be illegal. you can't post cover songs on dmusic because they could be downloaded and they have a legal obligation to compensate signed artists for distributing their works.
Ok thank you I think I will ask my University for legal assistance when the Academic Year starts officially in two weeks!

Just final question- how would I pay the royalties? Do I have to contact the record label an artist is signed to or do it through something like PRS?
Last edited by Klugzy at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Klugzy
I am giving my time and commitment, as well as providing my own recording equipment for anyone who wants to use it, that's all I can offer being a student!

Alternative question-

do I have the right to distribute a Cover of A song on a CD without charging for it?

for example the loop hole i was thinking of is just collecting money with a charity box but for any donations of over £3 ($5 ish) I also give the individual a complementary CD?

The issue is the use of copyrighted music. The non-profit thing is irrelevant as far as I know. You might get a way with it if what you're doing goes unnoticed, but if you asking about your "right" to do it...... I don't think you have that.

Quote by Klugzy
how would I pay the royalties? Do I have to contact the record label an artist is signed to you do it through something like PRS?

I believe you negotiate licenses individually with each publisher..... not sure about the royalties.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky

I believe you negotiate licenses individually with each publisher..... not sure about the royalties.

Hmmm I sense a lot of papework coming...well thank you anyways I really appreciate it, I've emailed to a few charity organizations and some lawyers friends as well so will see how that goes!

I just wish mentioning that the original belongs to "Insert Singer/Label/Band name here" and that all of the sales are done with good intentions would be enough
Quote by Klugzy

I just wish mentioning that the original belongs to "Insert Singer/Label/Band name here" and that all of the sales are done with good intentions would be enough

Yeah, I agree, that would be nice.
shred is gaudy music
I just don't see why it should matter.

If I was a musician and someone wanted to cover my song for a sole purpose of selling it for benefits of others- i'd find it insulting if he asked for my permission if anything!

All it does is create exposure for the band anyways!

And if a cover is better then the original- well that just pushes the industry to the next level and that should be the aim of every musician IMO