Hey Pit, recently I've been feeling really down. For the last two weeks I really didn't leave my house, play guitar, or even listen to music. It was all because I feel I wasted my summer, I didn't find a band, I didn't have much fun, I didn't find a girl, nothing. On the occasions I did hang out with my friends I felt different, different vibes were going off then they always had.

However, it suddenly ended just a few hours ago. I dusted off the old guitar and started learning some songs (something I rarely do when I play, I mostly noodle and write my own stuff). I finally realized that I'm not applying myself, I'm waiting for things to happen, and if I start it, I can do it. Instead of dismissing the complicated songs I approached them head on, and in two hours I'm 10x better than I was at alternative picking. I can play barre chords better. I don't believe the music reassured me, or the thoughts changed me. It kind of "just happened", it was odd.

Now I know I sound like a preachy idiot, and the point isn't "music ch4ng3d ma 1if3!1 now i r n0t despress!", but the point of this thread is to ask you "Have you ever have an extreme mood change OR an epiphany about life?".

TL;DR: I am no longer depressed for no reason.

PS: I also realize I may have a chemical imbalance in my brain or be bipolar. This actually happens extremely often with me.
sounds like my summer xD

hey cheer up u've got ur life in front of you

guess it happens to everyone
Quote by wolvenrick
sounds like my summer xD

hey cheer up u've got ur life in front of you

guess it happens to everyone

Unless he dies.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Cool story bro.

WIN.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Yeah, first time I smoked green.

Quote by jesusgonewrong
WIN.

How is that win? It's been said a million times and it's still just as retarded.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I have massive mood swings, and I often go to bed depressed and wake up ecstatic, or vice versa.

Or I find myself having a collossal mood change over the smallest things in the world. Once someone I sort of knew told me I was quiet, and un-ironically it made me feel too shit to talk to anyone for a day or so.

That sort of thing probably isn't really "normal", but definitely isn't uncommon.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 6, 2009,
I can relate. I sometimes feel on top of the world, and can do anything, only to feel, an hour-couple of days later, that life sucks, nothing is very much fun anymore (e-cookie for reference) and I can't stand the long wait until death.
despress?
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
You watched a lot of inspirational teen movies when you were younger, didn't you? The kind where teens spent their summers impressing special girls on the beach when their newly formed band rocked the boardwalk.

That's not real, man.

I also hope you know, at no point in your high school career are you going to become some kind of werewolf that uses his new found gift/curse to win a basketball game.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
You were sad, not depressed.
I hate the way people use the term depressed so lightly. You don't say "oh, I had a bit of cancer today" or "Man, I was feeling very down syndrome during that test".
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You were sad, not depressed.
I hate the way people use the term depressed so lightly. You don't say "oh, I had a bit of cancer today" or "Man, I was feeling very down syndrome during that test".

+100.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

im so glad i found this thread. one of my closest friends has struggled with severe depression for years,

now i know the answer!

forget couciling and anti depressants!
she just needs to 'snap out of it'
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Run Erratic
im so glad i found this thread. one of my closest friends has struggled with severe depression for years,

now i know the answer!

forget couciling and anti depressants!
she just needs to 'snap out of it'

You appear to have completely missed the point. Did you even read anything beyond the title?
Same thing with me kinda. I'm not like real depressed, but I broke my foot. So boredom = depression. Factor in I broke up with mygf of 4 years, so theres no one there to relieve my boredom constantly.

I also failed my one class in summer school.

But you're right. I am sitting around waiting for **** to happen. This school yeaR (hopefully my last) I'm going to try hard and pass my courses. That means I will hopefully be making a ton of money by this time next year, and will move out and most likely find a girl (because girls want money, but I won't ****in spoil the dirty broad).
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
Same thing with me kinda. I'm not like real depressed, but I broke my foot. So boredom = depression. Factor in I broke up with mygf of 4 years, so theres no one there to relieve my boredom constantly.

I also failed my one class in summer school.

But you're right. I am sitting around waiting for **** to happen. This school yeaR (hopefully my last) I'm going to try hard and pass my courses. That means I will hopefully be making a ton of money by this time next year, and will move out and most likely find a girl (because girls want money, but I won't ****in spoil the dirty broad).

I laughed at a lot of this. Cheer up, you made me laugh.
Quote by vintage x metal

I snapped out of "depression" when I realized I was still but a teenager.

But regardless, good on you TS.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by whalepudding
You appear to have completely missed the point. Did you even read anything beyond the title?

yes i did!

in fact. i should have stayed out of this whole thread cos i dont know the facts, and i whole-heartedly apologise to you all. i try and avoid threads about depression cos i seem to have spent my life surrounded by clinically depressed people, some of which have attempted suicide on many occasions and one who actually succeeded. i think the term 'depression' gets thrown around far too much nowadays not just by un-happy people but by proffessional people too. a few years ago a friend of mine got really ill, the doctor said he was depressed and prescribed him anti-depressants. months later he felt no better, he went to another doctor and it turns out he had cancer!!

in summary:
sorry for the smart arse answer, i will carry on avoiding these threads in future!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Glad you feel good TS. Don't lose that feeling and you probably will get things accomplished
Quote by Run Erratic
yes i did!

in fact. i should have stayed out of this whole thread cos i dont know the facts, and i whole-heartedly apologise to you all. i try and avoid threads about depression cos i seem to have spent my life surrounded by clinically depressed people, some of which have attempted suicide on many occasions and one who actually succeeded. i think the term 'depression' gets thrown around far too much nowadays not just by un-happy people but by proffessional people too. a few years ago a friend of mine got really ill, the doctor said he was depressed and prescribed him anti-depressants. months later he felt no better, he went to another doctor and it turns out he had cancer!!

in summary:
sorry for the smart arse answer, i will carry on avoiding these threads in future!!

What in fuck's name are you talking about?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but I can't see the relevance. No-one is saying clinically depressed people can or should just "snap out of it" as your other post implied; I don't think the original post even brought up clinical depression. I'm fairly sure the threadstarter just mentioned that music had brought him suddenly out of a shitty mood, and asked if others have had similar experiences. Maybe "depression" wasn't the right word, but in that case you're just being pedantic, and sarcasm and bringing up personal experience with depression does nothing to change the fact that you're only getting agitated about semantics.
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
What in fuck's name are you talking about?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but I can't see the relevance. No-one is saying clinically depressed people can or should just "snap out of it" as your other post implied; I don't think the original post even brought up clinical depression. I'm fairly sure the threadstarter just mentioned that music had brought him suddenly out of a shitty mood, and asked if others have had similar experiences. Maybe "depression" wasn't the right word, but in that case you're just being pedantic, and sarcasm and bringing up personal experience with depression does nothing to change the fact that you're only getting agitated about semantics.

eh?
im not agitated or being sarcastic?
i was pointing out the fact that depression is different from feeling down.
depression is a touchy subject for me, thats why i apologised for my origonal smart arsed post!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Run Erratic
eh?
im not agitated or being sarcastic?
i was pointing out the fact that depression is different from feeling down.
depression is a touchy subject for me, thats why i apologised for my origonal smart arsed post!!

Eh, it seemed that way to me, I guess it's hard to tell over the interwebs. I'm sorry if I misenterpreted it.
With the guitar thing, exactly the same thing happened to me. With the depression thing, well, I've never been depressed.
Quote by whalepudding
Eh, it seemed that way to me, I guess it's hard to tell over the interwebs. I'm sorry if I misenterpreted it.

No worries!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Sorry, depression=/=mood.
depression=clinical disorder.

And yes, as a person suffering from borderline personality disorder, I experience mood swings every single day at least once.
TS I like to think I get what you're saying. I totally let myself down all summer; avoided my friends, stayed home all day, never did anything productive. But now that I've got a little change of scenery, its like its all turned around. I feel a million times better, and its reflecting in my life. I guess it goes to show that things can always get better, sometimes it even happens effortlessly
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
could people please stop using the word depression like its just being in a bad mood? you had a bad few months, TS, but I don't think it was depression. It's being a teenager.

As someone who's being evaluated by psychairtrists(sp?) and there are a few other people here with proper mental disorders, stop making it a fad. Its not nice being reminded that you can't control your emotions like most people can.
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Quote by rabidguitarist
Yeah, first time I smoked green.

rabid

And in response to TS, I don't know, man, it just eventually came off once I was back in school last year. I probably needed some more interaction