Hi, what moveable chords exist starting on the lower strings...such as from the D String? Iv'e seen people doing this and I assume they are just "half" barre chords.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
They are called power chords....

power chord starting from the D string?

power chord are meant to have power right?

starting on low E and A string will get u all power chords u can possibly imagine, plus giving you more power whats it for in the first place

from D string will probs just be like half barre chords like u play in a riff then u dont add the next note cuz it sounds like balls
Quote by wolvenrick

from D string will probs just be like half barre chords like u play in a riff then u dont add the next note cuz it sounds like balls

My balls never made any sound
..Gm....C..
|---------|
|-------5-|
|-4-----5-|
|-5-----5-|
|-5-----3-|
|-3-------|

You mean ones like these?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Bingt
My balls never made any sound

NOT?!

wow sorry dude sounds like urs are dead
D E
|-2---4-----|
|-3---5-----|
|-2---4-----| Like this?
|-0---2-----|
|------------|
|------------|
Quote by EndTheRapture51

some dodgy girl tried to get off with me, I ran through the mosh pit to get away, she followed and got punched in the face
Quote by GS LEAD 5
They are called power chords....

You know your theory.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

some dodgy girl tried to get off with me, I ran through the mosh pit to get away, she followed and got punched in the face
There are five different moveable chord shapes. C A G E D. Tye most commonly used are the E and A shaped ones, these being your standard barre chords on the 6th string and 5 string respectively. C A G E D moveable chord also have moveable scale patterns for each chord, a fantastic system that really opens the guitar neck up and makes learning scales easy, I think there is a lesson or two on UG check it out!
Quote by wolvenrick
power chord starting from the D string?

power chord are meant to have power right?

starting on low E and A string will get u all power chords u can possibly imagine, plus giving you more power whats it for in the first place

I have no idea what you are talking about. A "power chord" is made of the root note, it's 5th and it's octave. To assume you can't do it from the D or even G string is silly.

Here are some for your entertainment/education.

D G B A F
|-------------------5-----13----|
|-3---8----12-----5---- 13----|
|-2---7----11-----2-----10----|
|-0---5----9--------------------|
|---------------------------------|
|--------------------------------|

And just in case you say "itz not brutalz b/z no low string", this may just blow your mind.

D = D
|----| |-----|
|-3-| |-----|
|-2-| |--7-| = the same
|-0-| |--7-|
|----| |- 5-|
|----| |-----|

And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by sfaune92
..Gm....C..
|---------|
|-------5-|
|-4-----5-|
|-5-----5-|
|-5-----3-|
|-3-------|

That's G major

And just make up your own. There are endless of movable chord shapes.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
All chords are moveable provided you have enough fingers...just play the chord shape you'd usually fret wherever you want and use your remaining fingers to fret the notes that would have been open, if there's too many of them to fret individually then use a barre.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn about chord construction, rather than memorizing movable shapes. Then you can make your own shapes, and play in different tunings too.
Do you know your major scale, and the chords in it?

If not, here's a brief summary (look it up fo' real though, this is just me picking out the useful bits for the idea i'ma showing you):

Steps: WWHWWWH
Intervals: Root, 2nd, major 3rd, perfect 4th and 5th, major 6th and 7th.
Chords: Major on root, minor on 2nd and 3rd, major on 4th and 5th, minor on 6th, diminished on 7th.

The bit about the chords is the one I'm going to play on here. If you know your basic open chords (Em, Emaj, Am, Amaj are my favourites for this technique) you can just move them up the major scale, as below:

A Bm/A C#m/A D/A E/A F#m/A G#mb5/A
e-0-0----0-----0---0---0-----0--
B-2-3----5-----7---9---10----12-
G-2-4----6-----7---9---11----13-
D-2-4----6-----7---9---11----12-
A-0-0----0-----0---0---0-----0--
E-------------------------------

That's the whole A major scale up to the 11th fret on the B, G and D strings, you can get the other strings if you form an A shape barre chord... if you don't play the low E string it's just a standard triad, with the E it's a 2nd inversion triad (with the barre that is):

Bm/F# D/A G#mb5/D#
e-2-----5---11-
B-3-----7---12-
G-4-----7---13-
D-4-----7---12-
A-2-----5---11-
E-2-----5---11-
And so on, I'm sure you can work out the rest... same idea applies with any other open chord shapes. You can also use several different chord shapes in tandem (sticking a 7th in on the low E to form 7th chords from the A shape is a nice little trick, that forms the 4th inversion of the respective 7th chords if you want to know):

Amaj7/G# Bm7/A C#m7/B Dmaj7/C# E7/D F#m7/E G#dim7/F#
e-0--------0-----0------0--------0----0------0--
B-2--------3-----5------7--------9----10-----12-
G-2--------4-----6------7--------9----11-----13-
D-2--------4-----6------7--------9----11-----12-
A-0--------0-----0------0--------0----0------0--
E-4--------5-----7------9--------10---12-----14-