I'm considering getting a small combo amp for dorm practice, something $200 and under. I see many brands, including Peavey, Roland, and Vox. What'd the difference between these? Is there a clear winner? (Maybe a brand I haven't mentioned? I have a strange feeling it's not a Spider III though) Are these all suited to different purposes? There's way too many for me to sort straight, and they all seem to be received pretty positively.

30W seems too loud for my dorm room, so 15w is probably best. Is there a noticeable sound quality change between 15 and 30w, or is it mostly volume?

Also, my primary playstyle is metal of all types, but I also dabble in classic rock and alternative/punk, lots of stuff.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Last edited by The Red Comet at Sep 6, 2009,
But like, is there any specific feature or ability that would single out the Vypyr, Valvetronic, or Cube? They all seem to have similar effects and stuff.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Quote by The Red Comet
But like, is there any specific feature or ability that would single out the Vypyr, Valvetronic, or Cube? They all seem to have similar effects and stuff.

id go with the vypyr personaly because i like the layout of the controls and the ammount of features, plus it sounds good for a modeler.
its really personal preference
Well I believe that the Valve Tronix is the only one that has tubes in it. I'm not sure if that affects anything, but that does set it apart.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Well I believe that the Valve Tronix is the only one that has tubes in it. I'm not sure if that affects anything, but that does set it apart.

the whole hybrid amp thing is marketing crap. the one pre amp tube makes little or no difference to the tone. its just marketing hype
They all model different amps of their respective brands. Are these all relatively unique, or do these amps all have similar counterparts between the brands, so they end up sounding similar?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion