Poll: Has the Humbucker or the Single coil been used the most in the history of music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Has the Humbucker or the Single coil been used the most in the history of music?
Humbuckers are used more
11 31%
Single coils are used more
1 3%
50 - 50
8 23%
This is pointless
15 43%
Voters: 35.
I see a lot of Guitar vs Guitar threads or Strat vs les paul style guitars and wonder mostly about the pick ups.

So which one in the entirety of the production of music since both these style pick ups were designed has been used the most?

Are more guitar based songs played with humbuckers or single coil, and I'm talking about every song ever made from country, blues, metal, rock, jazz, nu-metal, funk etc.
Probably half half...these days humbuckers tend to be more popular I think? I mean Fender's really one of the few guitar companies who use single coils...where's humbuckers are used by just about every brand I can think of.

but in the past it wasn't swayed that way
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Stupid question, no way to answer it.

Reported
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Probably humbuckers, and yes, in the past 10 years humbuckers probably have destroyed the use of single coils, but if your sound calls for it, you'll use it. I myself prefer single coils though.
Whatever suits the guitarist best... So I think this is pointless. I play a HSS strat, which sounds awesome for all the music I play in combination with my marshall Valvestate I 8040.
Single coils will never go away though. They have such an amazing sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Humbuckers are used much more from what I have experienced. I spend probably too much time at music shops and searching for guitars to buy and I have to say about 70% of the guitars in shops and for sale are equipped with humbuckers. Almost everyone I know uses a guitar equipped with humbuckers, only one I know has a Strat but he's in a country band. IMO single coil pups sound like crap and always have to me they have no tone and are real twangy and very, very noisy. I have a few guitars with single coil pups and just do not use the single coils because of the annoying hum they put out, I will either reroute the guitars and replace them with humbuckers or I might just buy stacked humbuckers that will just replace the single coils if I find any I like.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Humbuckers are used much more from what I have experienced. I spend probably too much time at music shops and searching for guitars to buy and I have to say about 70% of the guitars in shops and for sale are equipped with humbuckers. Almost everyone I know uses a guitar equipped with humbuckers, only one I know has a Strat but he's in a country band. IMO single coil pups sound like crap and always have to me they have no tone and are real twangy and very, very noisy. I have a few guitars with single coil pups and just do not use the single coils because of the annoying hum they put out, I will either reroute the guitars and replace them with humbuckers or I might just buy stacked humbuckers that will just replace the single coils if I find any I like.

John

I know its opinion, and I respect that, but for my own pleasure I will post:

The 'twang' isn't present in every single guitar or single coil.
I mean, does a Strat have the same twang as a Tele? No, heck, most strats have no twang unless you play them with bridge + neck or neck + middle [but some have it on all pups].

For cleans, nothing beats a nice single coil. [But, that's my opinion]

Also,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wtiNzci1Wc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm1YfehK7U
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIjWrpTPXY @ 3:08

I respect that you may not personally like them, but saying they have no tone and sound like crap?!
It may not be your type of sound, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
TBH, I think SCs have more tone [as the treble and bass are more present, and so everything is less compressed and more dynamic]

And I'm not an SC fanboy. My Tele Deluxe has 2 HBs. My Ibby has 2 HBs [and one SC]. My Fender has 3 amazing SCs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 6, 2009,
Most probably the humbucker I think cause even Fender use them (obviously)
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
Most probably the humbucker I think cause even Fender use them (obviously)

fender`s most popular guitar is single coil equppied, yes fender do equip humbuckers in a variety of models, like i said previously it depends what the tune needs.

someone mentioned singlecoils being too noisy but a noise gate (e.g boss ns2) will quieten most of the hum.
My vote goes to "this is pointless."
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...