Hi, I was wondering, if I had a 4 by 12 cabinet with two 50 watt speakers in it and two 25 watt speakers in it, and I played it with a 100 watt head would more power come from the 50 watt speakers or would the power be distributed 25 watts per speaker? Thanks a lot.
Dave
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Sep 6, 2009,
Im not an expert myself, so this could be wrong, but I always thought that the Head should be a lower wattage than the cab to ensure that it doesn't blow the speakers. Say, 25w Head and 100w Cab.
Quote by marc0mu
Im not an expert myself, so this could be wrong, but I always thought that the Head should be a lower wattage than the cab to ensure that it doesn't blow the speakers. Say, 25w Head and 100w Cab.

That's how it should be, yeah.

Most 100w heads come with at least 140w cabs.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
it should be fine. the power gets distributed according to wiring and impedence. if the impedence of all of the speakers are the same then it will distribute the power evenly which means you might have a bit of trouble with the 25W speakers if you push the amp hard. actually i remember hearing that speakers are also rated at RMS so you should be fine if you push your amp further then 100W.

moral of the story you should be fine if all the speaker impedences are the same.
Last edited by joe_k at Sep 6, 2009,
As far as I know, the speakers are rated similarly to amps. While yes, some amps do push way more wattage than what they're rated at, but similarly speakers can take more wattage than what they're rated at. So a 100W head should be fine with a 100W cab (also, when would you seriously crank a 100W head?).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.