If i got an 30 watt All valve combo, How many watts do i need in a SS to be taht loud ?

For example: Is i have 30 watt Valve I need 75 watts SS?

Ty
EDIT: Of course the wattage of 30w SS and 30w valve is the same, as the guy said. Still, there is an obvious difference in volume.

It depends, there are no set rules. 30w SS amplifier with a good speaker can be as loud as 30w valve combo with a smaller speaker. I think that it's safe to double the wattage of the SS, it isn't true all the times but it's a pretty convenient way of calculating it so

15w valve = 30w SS, 30w valve = 50-60w SS etc.

Still, every amp is different so it's not always true. The speaker(s) is/are a very important element here.
Strictly speaking, 30W is 30W, whether it's all-valve or solid-state. The richness (broader spectrum of harmonics) of the all-valve sound makes you believe it's louder. But not by much. I'd guess a 40 or 50W SS amp may sound to you as loud as a 30W all-valve.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
i think valves are about 3 times as loud as SS, so you'd need 100 watts SS

but do remember that playing full whack on those amps will probs give you hearing damage
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
i think valves are about 3 times as loud as SS, so you'd need 100 watts SS

but do remember that playing full whack on those amps will probs give you hearing damage

Like i care xD, So Average seen 30 watts valve is like 60 watt ss?
It really depends. I think tube wattage and SS wattage are different. A 50W tube amp is only 3db quieter than a 100W tube amp. Wattage refers to power, not sound. They're not directly related. With tube amps, it relates to the breaking point of the tubes. If you turn a tube amp up, you'll get power amp distortion. The lower the wattage, the sooner you get this distortion. So there's not much difference in how loud tube amps of various powers are. Solid state can use the same power rating. 30W is 30W. But they handle that 30W of power differently. I don't really understand how it works, but it has to do with the way class of the amp.
In terms of sound quality Tube>Valve>SS and same with volume I think. But there isn't an exact ratio like someone already explained, it's different with all amps.

I think it's just that tube and valve amps use the power more efficiently, which means they can get louder and sound better at lower wattage.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst
In terms of sound quality Tube>Valve>SS and same with volume I think. But there isn't an exact ratio like someone already explained, it's different with all amps.

Tube and valve are the exact same thing, and they're no better than SS
Quote by JELIFISH19
Tube and valve are the exact same thing, and they're no better than SS

Well tell me then why everyone likes to play Tube rather than SS?
Quote by Dennis_SG

Exactly. Tube have a better sound than SS and they can get louder and lower wattage. They're very different.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by leephan
^Tube = Valve

EDIT: Dammit!

^

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Tubes are generally louder than SS. A 5w tube can get as loud as a 30w SS for example. However, in terms of wattage, X watts in tube = X watts in SS.
Quote by falconthefirst

I think it's just that tube and valve amps use the power more efficiently, which means they can get louder and sound better at lower wattage.

tubes and valves are the same thing except:

tube = american word.
valve = british word.

Quote by Dennis_SG

because back in the day you only had tube. and now everyone wants to recreate those vintage tones, and solid state is out of fashion at the moment. and everyone follows fashion like sheep.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 6, 2009,
Not everyone prefers valve amps. Guys who play jazz or clean blues often prefer the cleans of a SS amp. The sound difference is all about distortion levels. A typical decent SS amp may distort to the specified level, at, for example, 9 on the dial. A similarly rated valve amp might reach that distortion level at 5 or 6, yet have a lot more volume available beyond the rating.
Then you come down to efficiency as a whole which is why a Vox AC30 is almost as loud as a Fender Twin Reverb. That's not saying one is better than the other. They have quite different sounds overall, both of which are popular among a wide range of musicians.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Dennis_SG

No one likes playing tube amps over SS. They like playing what sounds best to them. With technology today, a SS amp can sound exactly the same as a tube amp and even. 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good modeler and the real amp. But a lot of SS amps are on the cheaper spectrum which give them the impression of being inferior. But there are high end and boutique solid-state amps. They're rare. But a lot of companies won't make a SS amp because a lot of guitarists are stupid and hate innovation. That's why the same guitars that were sold 60 years ago are still the top selling guitars today. But tubes present a limitation. They alter the amount of tones you can get. Ever wonder why a lot of high-gain amps don't have good cleans? It's because of tubes. Tube amps also don't sound very good at low volumes. SS amps don't have those problems. SS is capable of things that tube amps could only dream of. But will SS ever catch on? Probably not.
Quote by falconthefirst

Tube and valve are exactly the same thing... Tube= Valve... Valve is tube... Tube and Valve= x, x= tube and valve,

EDIT: Just seen that Ive been beaten to the punch by a boatload of UGers.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Sep 6, 2009,
Back to the question, I usually say that 30watts of valve pleasure is equal to around 100watts of solid state crankage.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Blompcube
tubes and valves are the same thing except:

tube = american word.
valve = british word.

because back in the day you only had tube. and now everyone wants to recreate those vintage tones, and solid state is out of fashion at the moment. and everyone follows fashion like sheep.

Yep.

In fact, SS is actually a lot better than people make it out to be,
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There really isn't an answer. Watts do not equal amount of volume. One tube amp with 30w can be louder than another 30w tube amp.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
There really isn't an answer. Watts do not equal amount of volume. One tube amp with 30w can be louder than another 30w tube amp.

This is the truth.
An AC30 is EXTREMELY loud. An Epiphone Blues whatever is not anywhere near as loud as an AC30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yep.

In fact, SS is actually a lot better than people make it out to be,

True. Look at the Roland JC120, the Fender M-80 and the old pre-MG non-tube Marshalls. This being said I personally prefer tube amps, but I do see the virtue of both.

Anyway, TS, Brian May, The Edge and The Beatles all feel/felt they were loud enough for everywhere from clubs to baseball and football stadiums. It's power compared to a 30W SS amp isn't important, whatever volume you need it'll get done.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39