Hi guys, I recently got a Marshall Mosfet w/ 4x12 cab (Thanks Rum Monkey!), and I need to get some sort of volume control so I can play it driven really hard without the ridiculous amounts of noise it needs.

I'm just wondering what the best way to do this is atm. I'm not after anything mega expensive, just something that'll keep it at a relatively low level while it's not being gigged.

Cheers guys!
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Last edited by Chikao42 at Sep 6, 2009,
To control the volume.

Edit: Thinking about it, I just need to control the volume... What pedals can I get to control the volume and keep it consistent without losing anything from the amp?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
Last edited by Chikao42 at Sep 6, 2009,
Umm... There's a volume control on the amp, may help.

Driving MOSFET amps hard will just sound like ****.

You only use attenuators for tube amps, because to get the really nice thick tones out of them, you have to crank the volume.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
its a ss ? the sound usually degrades as you turn it up, not the other way round. unless you like the speakers distorting but that would be eliminated with a attenuator anyways

i dunno
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
The problem with the mosfet though, is that it just suddenly jumps from too quiet to practice with, to too loud to practice with. I want a happy medium and you can't really get it on this amp.

Should I just use an EQ pedal and drop the volume?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Quote by Chikao42
The problem with the mosfet though, is that it just suddenly jumps from too quiet to practice with, to too loud to practice with. I want a happy medium and you can't really get it on this amp.

Should I just use an EQ pedal and drop the volume?

Yeah, there's no point buying an attenuator for that, an EQ should suffice, so long as the amp has an FX loop.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Yeah, there's no point buying an attenuator for that, an EQ should suffice, so long as the amp has an FX loop.

Cool stuffs. I've got a ge-7, that's saved me an unnecessary amount of money xD

While I've got your attention, is the Electro Harmonix Signal Pad any good as a volume boost? If I were to use the amp's distortion, add some sustain with an overdrive pedal, and then use the signal pad, would it increase the volume, or does it have to go into the fx loop?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
or a wah style volume pedal. or if you dont have a wah get one of those wah and volume pedals combined
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
volume box through FX loop
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by kakos
volume box through FX loop

Would the EH signal box work? Or is there a better one =]
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Wait a minute. If you are using the EQ for a volume cut, why not just shut it off when you need the boost?

I think you may be GASing for no reason.
Quote by 667
Wait a minute. If you are using the EQ for a volume cut, why not just shut it off when you need the boost?

I think you may be GASing for no reason.

When you put it like that, I think I may be seriously GASing... xD

Cheers for the help and patience guys!
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates