I have been playing guitar for a solid 2,5 years now. I (want to) play traditional heavy metal (maiden, priest) and power/symphonic metal. I'm not as fast as I want to be but I'm ok at phrasing.
The problem is since I started playing guitar I never really bothered playing a song along to the record playing at the same time. Because this gave negative results (timing) I kinda avoided this, maybe this could be because I have, translated to english, fail anxiety.
Now I really don't get how you could ever play for example a guitar solo exact note for note along to the city. I usually don't 'feel' how long a note has to be tied and such.
Is this problem because of the lack of practice with a recording (I have practiced with a metronome a lot though) or does it occur that some people just 'don't have it' Because that would be really horrible because I'd like to almost devote my life to playing guitar.

Hope anyone has suggestions, thanks a heap
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
if your timing is off you should practice and try making it better, so i suggest you start playing along with the originals and start feeling the groove, dont give up just yet
Quote by 08L1V10N
I have been playing guitar for a solid 2,5 years now. I (want to) play traditional heavy metal (maiden, priest) and power/symphonic metal. I'm not as fast as I want to be but I'm ok at phrasing.
The problem is since I started playing guitar I never really bothered playing a song along to the record playing at the same time. Because this gave negative results (timing) I kinda avoided this, maybe this could be because I have, translated to english, fail anxiety.
Now I really don't get how you could ever play for example a guitar solo exact note for note along to the city. I usually don't 'feel' how long a note has to be tied and such.
Is this problem because of the lack of practice with a recording (I have practiced with a metronome a lot though) or does it occur that some people just 'don't have it' Because that would be really horrible because I'd like to almost devote my life to playing guitar.

Hope anyone has suggestions, thanks a heap

I often have doubts. I play along also and sometimes it just doesn't fit exactly like you said. But everyone is different, and I wouldn't worry too much about getting cover songs 'nailed exact'

If you're devoting your life to playing guitar I'd suggest start writing your own riffs/solos and songs? Then everything you play is totally your style and playing.
just listen to whatever song your learning loads of times, then eventually you'll just know how it's supposed to sound (like how long each note should last), and just break down each part you struggle with and learn a song a bit at a time? just practice loads and you'll get it enventually
JacK!
Quote by BrashPersona

If you're devoting your life to playing guitar I'd suggest start writing your own riffs/solos and songs? Then everything you play is totally your style and playing.

Yeah, that's true. But if I want to play with a band I need those timing skills
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.