im gonna be jamming with a couple of friends next week and they are gona cover blink stuff

i literally know nothing about blink 182 so i think improvising like tom delonge will really knock their socks off

so any suggestionss?? coz i mostly improvise to blues and i seem pretty much trapped in the blues
Improvising "like Tom Delonge" won't knock anybody's socks off...

Just do what you normally do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Haha Improvise like Tom Delonge.
Power Chords should cover it and if it sounds like **** your doing it right.
i own most blink albums and his two side projects, boxcar racer and AvA, he doesn't solo. He is a pure power chord with a few little tricks...

if you want to hear him play "single notes" listen to the intro to M+M's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAaC83ddYM
myspace.com/scenesfromasuicide

Diamond Series Telecaster <3

1960s Les Paul Sun Burst

Quote by Tire Me.

Came during the scene where harry's in the graveyard fighting with voldemort.

Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.
Just learn a simple riff and play it, and if you want to play some of his real tricky stuff, play the same riff a bit higher part way through the song.

No offence to the guy, Blink is my favourite band, but hes no Mick Mars.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Wow, that melody he plays on the video at around 2.50 is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Call me Batman.
Quote by steven seagull
Improvising "like Tom Delonge" won't knock anybody's socks off...

lol, my socks would be knocked off TBH
As others have said, trying to improvise like Tom Delonge is kind of dumb, but that aside... No pentatonic or blues scales. Only major scales. It's okay to play kind of fast but aim for something that is melodic over pure shred. Use lots of repetition too.

The M+M's intro was a decent example, also check out the intro to Wasting Time.

And this is really just the generic way of playing lead for 90's style pop punk. Nothing special about Tom Delonge.
He's not amazing compared to most guitarists but he's getting a very nice sound in nicktucker's video.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by shortyafter
As others have said, trying to improvise like Tom Delonge is kind of dumb, but that aside... No pentatonic or blues scales. Only major scales. It's okay to play kind of fast but aim for something that is melodic over pure shred. Use lots of repetition too.

The M+M's intro was a decent example, also check out the intro to Wasting Time.

And this is really just the generic way of playing lead for 90's style pop punk. Nothing special about Tom Delonge.

no blues or pentatonic ill give it a shot but ive based so much of my life around the blues, it would be liek losing an arm or a leg

and that video helped with the root notes and descending melody

i was gonna play my own style but i was afraid they would feel uneasy
my style is kinda more funk jazz blues metal oriented
Last edited by kebzicum at Sep 6, 2009,
pentatonic=/=blues

the pentatonic only sounds bluesy if you play bluesy licks with it. You shouldn't try to force yourself to play differently on a whim, that won't work - just do what comes naturally. If you want to let other influences and ideas seep into your playing then let them, but you can't just make it happen - you need to give yourself time to absorb things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You shouldn't try to force yourself to play differently on a whim, that won't work - just do what comes naturally. If you want to let other influences and ideas seep into your playing then let them, but you can't just make it happen - you need to give yourself time to absorb things.

spot on advice.
shred is gaudy music
Dude, keep your style, it'll sound better if you're playing something you're comfortable playing. Don't try to replicate another guitarist unless you're playing one of their songs, learn from them by all means, gain inspiration from them but DO NOT try to copy them! That was the single biggest mistake I made when I started playing guitar and it held me back for a long time.
As for impressing your friends: chances are your stuff's more technically difficult than they're used to hearing/seeing and their minds will be blown anyway.
Quote by Moving Pictures
Haha Improvise like Tom Delonge.
Power Chords should cover it and if it sounds like **** your doing it right.

Shut the hell up, Tom DeLonge is SO much better than people give him credit for. Not as a guitarist, but he's a GREAT songwriter. ever listen to this band called Blink 182? or angels and airwaves?
Tom DeLonge knows how to improvise? Thats news to me.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ