I need some new headphones these are what I am looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AKG-K240-Studio-Headphones-K-240-S-K240S-headphone_W0QQitemZ270407937379QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDJ_Gear_Lighting?hash=item3ef591ad63&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They are AKG 240 studio headphones. The prices seem to be all over the map. I believe these are authentic AKG headphones does anyone know why this is? Also what is your opinion of AKG 240 headphones?
What will you be using them for?

I've always preferred Beyerdynamics over AKG, but AKG have a good reputation nonetheless.
Quote by Parad
What will you be using them for?

+1 to that, although I'll swear by my pair of Sennheiser HD280s
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
i would favour a pair of grado headphones for that price. if you can hunt them down, the akg k501 are much better as well.
For recording I would get studio speakers, even pretty cheap ones (say $200-300) will do better than headphones.

If you need cans I can recommend an alternative: BeyerDynamics DT-990PRO. They are a bit more expensive; you should be able to find them for $160. I use these myself for certain things and love them. Grado makes good stuff aswell.

I have no experience with the AKG 240. I wouldn't get them just because they are AKG. But they are half open, that's a good thing. Are you able to go to a store and compare a couple of cans? When it comes to mid-high end cans, opinions tend to differ a lot. I guess it's the same as with studio monitors. Some love Dynaudio, others swear by Genelec and so on.

Sorry I can't be of more help than to recommend something else ;-).