I have an Orange AD30 head (30W if you didn't know) and i want to be able to push the amp into overdrive a bit more but not distortion! but keep it at reasonable volume levels.

I was all set on getting a Weber attenuator until i came across some boutique clean boost pedals like the Homebrew Uno Mos or the Keeley Katana.

So which would you go for? I'm actually swaying towards a clean boost but could a Weber sound better?

Thanks
clean boost is like an overdrive pedal but it doesn't alter your tone it just boosts the level of the signal coming from your pickups
Quote by pak1351
attenuator. Clean boost will make it louder

Well not really because you can still roll back the master volume just have more signal into the pre-amp section.
clean boost give you more preamp gain and an attenuator allows you to have more poweramp distortion.. two different things indeed
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by angl2k
clean boost give you more preamp gain and an attenuator allows you to have more poweramp distortion.. two different things indeed

Yes? Which is exactly my question, which one sounds better?
First off, overdrive is distortion.

Second, neither poweramp or preamp distortion is 'better'. You have to decide which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yea which is a problem, is there a store which allows like a month trial of an item then if your not happy send it back? I would go into a store but they won't have my guitar and amp and also it is highly unlikely they will have any of the pedals i'm after.

Thanks
Bring your guitar and amp with you. Online stores are required by law in the US to accept returns up to a certain time limit if you use a credit card. You'll have to foot the shipping both ways, but at least you'll get most of the money back.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
how can you overdrive an amp without distorting it?

when you overdrive an amp, the amp distorts.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
how can you overdrive an amp without distorting it?

when you overdrive an amp, the amp distorts.

I understand what you are saying but you also understand what i'm saying, you know the difference between an overdrive and distortion pedal hence you know what i am talking about so i would appreciate it if you kept your smug bastardness out of my thread if you have nothing interesting or helpful to say.

Thanks
Quote by sleazydan
I understand what you are saying but you also understand what i'm saying, you know the difference between an overdrive and distortion pedal hence you know what i am talking about so i would appreciate it if you kept your smug bastardness out of my thread if you have nothing interesting or helpful to say.

Thanks

actually, i dont know what you are saying. which is why i asked for clarification. that makes you the smug bastard. so fear not, from not on, your on my list of people to never try to help. good bye.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by sleazydan
Yes? Which is exactly my question, which one sounds better?

as cliche as it might sound but whatever your ears like better.

most high gain players tend to like preamp distortion more vs the classic or hardrock players who like a combination of both

have you considered an overdrive in front of the amp that colors your sound a bit? (tubescreamer and the like)

using an attenuator will shorten lifespan of your tubes if you crank the master volume on your amp all the time, so keep that in mind
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by pak1351
attenuator. Clean boost will make it louder

+1, most likely anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?