So im doing DJ club and wedding gigs (for financial reasons..£250 for 4 hours work etc).

I know a lot of you are not old enough to get into clubs but anyone who is, what would you say is good banter from a DJ? I dont want to say too much but whenever ive tried to say something like 'let me hear the ladies' or 'are you having a good time' i get a mediocre response. Do you prefer when a DJ says nothing or someone who tries to create atmosphere.
in my opinion
-SAY NOTHING!!

its a club, not a fun fair!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Reveluzionairo
So im doing DJ club and wedding gigs (for financial reasons..£250 for 4 hours work etc).

I know a lot of you are not old enough to get into clubs but anyone who is, what would you say is good banter from a DJ? I dont want to say too much but whenever ive tried to say something like 'let me hear the ladies' or 'are you having a good time' i get a mediocre response. Do you prefer when a DJ says nothing or someone who tries to create atmosphere.

I hate it when DJs say stupid stuff to be cool.

You wanna get the people dancing, play good music and look energetic, but for the love of god keep your mouth shut.
When the DJ says nothing. If he must saying anything, say it with alot of energy and don't disrupt the momentum of the club.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
DJ's don't deserve to speak.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
All i can say is don't make it sound like a 10 year old girls birthday disco.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This.

And who the hell would want a DJ at their wedding in the first place.

Chavs (wedding bands are between £800 and £2000)
Don't speak, use body language.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Unless youre scooter and have an awesomely big retro looking mike hanging from the ceiling with tones of echo on it and have/can fake a german accent....dont talk. In fact, even then its highly disputable. Hypaaa! hypaaa!
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Quote by thanksgiving
DJ's don't deserve to speak.

That's like saying guitarists don't deserve to speak at gigs either.

Don't say anything OP, it's annoying as hell when they keep turning the music down and blurting out random crap that you can't even hear.
Quote by wanksta
Unless youre scooter and have an awesomely big retro looking mike hanging from the ceiling with tones of echo on it and have/can fake a german accent....dont talk. In fact, even then its highly disputable. Hypaaa! hypaaa!

who?
lmao, the only time you should open your mouth is when the club manager comes to tell you to tell everyone the place closes in 15 minutes, last call for booze.
Quote by XeroDivide
lmao, the only time you should open your mouth is when the club manager comes to tell you to tell everyone the place closes in 15 minutes, last call for booze.

alright i get the jist
Quote by wanksta

Quote by wanksta

who is Mike? I know who Scooter is, there are plenty chavs where i live who love him.
oh...short for microphone...i use americanisms extensively, apologies for misunderstanding...
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Quote by wanksta
oh...short for microphone...i use americanisms extensively, apologies for misunderstanding...

i think he meant you shouldve said mic!

its microphone, note mikerophone!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Reveluzionairo
alright i get the jist

Sorry if that came out ugly, just from personal exp, it was better when I didn't say anything at all.

I got looks that still haunt me, true statement
Last edited by XeroDivide at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by wanksta

I think they're poking fun of misspelling "mic" as "mike," although honestly, I consider both acceptable, and I don't see any reason to make a joke out of it.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by korinaflyingv
don't say anything, it's about the music, not about you.
*remembers some weird comic about trance music and raves*

its just i feel weird just standing there getting paid to watch songs mix themselves on my laptop!
Basically, don't say anything, but just keep looking bad arse and like you know what you're doing and you'll be fine. Thats what i see whenever i'm raving it up large, and its effective.

So unless you're ministry of sound, just pick some good choooooooons and keep that gob shut. Of course, if there's any females there giving you the eye, quick wink and a cheeky smile are well within bounds!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Dya mind me asking what gear you've got?

I'm just starting out myself and just wondering
Quote by Reveluzionairo
its just i feel weird just standing there getting paid to watch songs mix themselves on my laptop!

Haha are you not playing dance music. If so i want your job, do you basically just mix it so that there are no gaps in the songs?
Quote by david_safc

That's like saying guitarists don't deserve to speak at gigs either.

Don't say anything OP, it's annoying as hell when they keep turning the music down and blurting out random crap that you can't even hear.

Guitarists are cool. End of.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
No and no. People at the wedding don't want to hear the DJ over their friends and family. And at clubs no one wants to hear the DJ speak still, only play good music.

Super Mash Bros are awesome BTW. Thought I'd throw that in there.
There be no shelter here.
Quote by Chilli 3000
Dya mind me asking what gear you've got?

I'm just starting out myself and just wondering

Okay

Laptop (better to be 2gb RAM) needs to be high quality MP3s or WAVs £400

Virtual DJ software £90

Backup mp3 player for emergencies (you leave this paused on a good song incase all goes wrong) £100

Mackie srm450 x2 and Mackie Active Bass bin £1600

Xenyx 12 track mixer (this is **** so get a 2 track mackie mixer) £250

Sennheiser noise reducing monitors £200

Par Can 56 lights x4 £200

2 Lasers (you need a license to use lasers tho i think its over 18s) £200

and a van! £4000
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
I've been to a few raves and festivals in my time. I quite like things that get the crowd going like "here comes the drop" and stuff like that. But mcs just annoy me, especially on mixed albums.

EDIT: do you get any club work with that setup? I considered the software route but I heard a lot of clubs and festivals don't allow it.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Last edited by blues_to_thrash at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by blues_to_thrash
I've been to a few raves and festivals in my time. I quite like things that get the crowd going like "here comes the drop" and stuff like that. But mcs just annoy me, especially on mixed albums.

EDIT: do you get any club work with that setup? I considered the software route but I heard a lot of clubs and festivals don't allow it.

yeah but not raves. what difference does it make if someone is manually mixing or using software (apart from the software making less mistakes lol). Ive got decks but im not taking a shedload of good vinyl to some dive for people to steal it.
Fair enough

well, I guess you could say laptops are less reliable, but I doubt that's a problem nowadays.

EDIT: so what software do you use, traktor?
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
go Adam D styley and shout/growl "Can all the underage pussy please come to the front." or something like that xD
Quote by blues_to_thrash
Fair enough

well, I guess you could say laptops are less reliable, but I doubt that's a problem nowadays.

EDIT: so what software do you use, traktor?

no virtual dj. its good but the text on it is small. a few times i have started the song twice by mistake. very very embarassing.