Hey there
i recently bought an ibanez rg350 off ebay (it came with a couple of 2x12s and a multieffects pedal and i only payed 200 quid the guitar was basically an added freebie )
I've had the guitar set up at my local music store but it still isn't holding the tuning when i use the whammy bar - it changes tuning either to sharper or flatter depending which way i move the bar. I assume I'm well within my rights to take it back and ask them to redo it as it isn't how i payed for it to be done? Infact, by my tuner it's 1/4 step sharp of how i wanted it tuned (CGCFAD)
Also, the bridge is wearing the pickguard away when i use the whammy bar
could this mean the pivot posts are loose / damaged?
could these problems be linked?
Do you have pictures of the problem?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
Do you have pictures of the problem?

I will do shortly, I'll go steal my brothers webcam, i broke my LG Viewty the other day so pics won't be as good quality as I'd have liked

2 mins
I'm having the same problem, only with the three lighter strings though. I want to say it's because it needs a couple extra springs in the back, let's see what we get here.
It sued to happen with me on my Ibanez SA260FML.

Until I changed to a slightly (VERY slightly) heavier string gauge.. Stopped doing it after that.
I think the problem both of us are having though is that the guitars came from the factory set at a lighter gauge, we're playing with heavier strings, he got a set up and it's still acting that way. Which is bizarre
I didn't put these strings on the guitar, they were there when i bought it but they appear to be two different sets like fat top skinny bottom
and here's the pickguard being eaten away
Quote by The4thHorsemen
A while back I came across this, and made mental note. aren't you glad i did?

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

Does the using chapstick thing work for trems that aren't returning on pushing down aswell?

and any advice on the pickguard being eaten by the bridge?
are the trem posts meant to be stood perpendicular to the body? mine are leaning towards the pickguard so could they be loose?
If it doesn't return to pitch after depressing it, you need to either add another spring (to equal string tension) or you need to screw the trem claw in a bit more.

If you can get some pics of the bridge, I think I know what you're talking about.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I have a picture of the bridge in an above post
I've had it set up by a guy in the shop and it's all correct but i think i found my problem:
the pivot studs arent solidly down in the body - theyre angled- which means the knife edges on the trem aren't parallel to the body and it can't be adjusted without fixing the trem
I'll try and get a pic at the right angle to show this in a minute.
Quote by Bigsteve92
Does the using chapstick thing work for trems that aren't returning on pushing down aswell?

I would think so, it makes sense to me. and it doesn't hurt to try.

but I wouldn't try the knife sharpening thing until someone else gives the go-ahead, I don't really know anything about that, I'm just passing on a link that looked like it matched your description.

Quote by Bigsteve92
and any advice on the pickguard being eaten by the bridge?
are the trem posts meant to be stood perpendicular to the body? mine are leaning towards the pickguard so could they be loose?

I'm not sure, is the whole bridge level with the body or is it leaning towards the neck? if it's leaning towards the neck you may need to tighten the two screws in the back to pull it down more or you might need to add more springs. otherwise idk

and about the posts, no idea. I would think they should be sticking straight up, but I'm not sure.
Right,
I believe the plan of action is now this:
1) go back to the shop and get help (which they kind of owe me since they didnt set it up right)
2) get them to remove the trem completely for me so i can check the pivots
3) possibly look into filling and redrilling the pivots?

EDIT:

can someone else with an EdgeIII on their guitar get me a picture for comparison? thanks

EDIT2: found this image

it appears something with the pivot points has gone wrong
will this be an expensive fix?

EDIT3: ^ the bridge is only leaning forward and eating the pickguard away when i use the whammy.
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by bv310
If it doesn't return to pitch after depressing it, you need to either add another spring (to equal string tension) or you need to screw the trem claw in a bit more.

If you can get some pics of the bridge, I think I know what you're talking about.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Bigsteve that bridge looks like it's raised to high. Have you tried dropping everything one note to make it float closer to the cavity?
Quote by XeroDivide
This is what I was thinking as well.

Bigsteve that bridge looks like it's raised to high. Have you tried dropping everything one note to make it float closer to the cavity?

if you look closely you'll see where the bridge actually is
the reflections from the body are making it look quite high i think in the picture
I see, I've really only had exp with a Floyd, so looking at this seems a bit higher than I'm used to seeing.

I would say your answer of "go back to the shop and get help (which they kind of owe me since they didnt set it up right)" would be the key, you paid for service that didn't work as it was expected to. They need to fix the issue or refund your money to take it to a luthier.
Quote by XeroDivide
I see, I've really only had exp with a Floyd, so looking at this seems a bit higher than I'm used to seeing.

I would say your answer of "go back to the shop and get help (which they kind of owe me since they didnt set it up right)" would be the key, you paid for service that didn't work as it was expected to. They need to fix the issue or refund your money to take it to a luthier.

ah right if you've been using a standard floyd it will look high to you.
the platform thing is quite thick on the edgeIII.

and i'll probably go get my money back, fix the posts myself, and take it back for another setup.
You should definitely get your money back, you took your guitar in to be setup, the result afterward shouldn't have been in the direction it's going now. It's definitely not working the way it's supposed to so there shouldn't be any qualms whatsoever about it. By the way, where did you take it in to be setup at?
Quote by XeroDivide
You should definitely get your money back, you took your guitar in to be setup, the result afterward shouldn't have been in the direction it's going now. It's definitely not working the way it's supposed to so there shouldn't be any qualms whatsoever about it. By the way, where did you take it in to be setup at?

Place called Paul's Music in Scunthorpe
He's a nice enough old guy, just him that owns it as far as i know
Chances are he'll be fine about resetting it up
I'll tell him he can have it for a week to make sure it's fine
but I'm pretty sure these bridge posts aren't right from comparing the two pictures.
I'll go see him with it Tuesday when I go back in to college and explain whats happened
He's pretty good usually so it'll either be the wierd shape of the edgeIII or the dodgy posts thats balls'd it up for him
To fix the posts....

Dowel the holes, either drilling out to wider dowel width, or slam on in there... then redrill the holes and hump your bushings in.

If you've got a few pounds/dollars to spare, a new set of posts would be a good idea. The treble side post is definitely leaning too far forwards - either because it's bent, or because the hole is deformed.
Quote by -MintSauce-
To fix the posts....

Dowel the holes, either drilling out to wider dowel width, or slam on in there... then redrill the holes and hump your bushings in.

If you've got a few pounds/dollars to spare, a new set of posts would be a good idea. The treble side post is definitely leaning too far forwards - either because it's bent, or because the hole is deformed.

if the case is that the bushing is lose in the hole would i be able use some kind of filler to get it straight again or will it only be a temporary fix if i do that?

As i said, I'm back at college on Tuesday so if i got over to design i could ask the tutor there about it and he may even be willing to help me
Using filler would be pointless, because the pressure would just squeeze it out of the hole gradually.

The only way to fix that kind of damage is by dowelling and drilling. BUT.. that only takes a couple of hours.
where can i get dowels for doing this?
what do i use for fixing the dowels in place?
what type of dowels do i need? (it's a basswood body)

oh and i looked on your profile MintSauce, those are some nice guitars, just need to get the RR finidshed :P
Most hardware stores should sell packs of dowels.. just check what diameter you need first.

Fix them in place with wood glue. I'd recommend Titebond Original, but it would seem daft to buy a full bottle of that for such a small repair.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Most hardware stores should sell packs of dowels.. just check what diameter you need first.

Fix them in place with wood glue. I'd recommend Titebond Original, but it would seem daft to buy a full bottle of that for such a small repair.

If i were to be fixing say a TOM bridge on an epiphone explorer (made of Korina) would i just be buying dowels? no specific wood?
Pretty much, yeah. I think that dowels are made with reformed wood or something, anyway. I've not really seem them of specific wood varieties.. it's just a case of 'dowels'.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Pretty much, yeah. I think that dowels are made with reformed wood or something, anyway. I've not really seem them of specific wood varieties.. it's just a case of 'dowels'.

right so what i'd do is remove the post and bushing, get dowel as close as possible to the holes size, drill to size if i have to, shove dowel in the hole with some titebond, wipe off excess, remove excess dowel, drill slightly smaller than the bushing, force the bushing in
right?
oh and obviously time for the titebond to dry.
Quote by Bigsteve92
I've had the guitar set up at my local music store but it still isn't holding the tuning when i use the whammy bar - it changes tuning either to sharper or flatter depending which way i move the bar. I assume I'm well within my rights to take it back and ask them to redo it as it isn't how i payed for it to be done?

Your guitar is most likely set up right. You just happen to have a bridge made out of tin foil a.k.a the edge III.
Quote by Bigsteve92
right so what i'd do is remove the post and bushing, get dowel as close as possible to the holes size, drill to size if i have to, shove dowel in the hole with some titebond, wipe off excess, remove excess dowel, drill slightly smaller than the bushing, force the bushing in
right?
oh and obviously time for the titebond to dry.

Yes, exactly that!

I'm not saying that's definitely the problem, but if it find out that it is after closer inspection, that's how you'd fix it. Also, you may want to consider making a sketch or template to get the holes in the same position again.

Before you do anything, though.. get that thing apart and have a damn good look at it. My guess is that it's one of three things:

1. Loose bushings,
2. Bent posts,
3. Wrecked knife edges.

You really can't tell until you strip it down.
hmm, could the pickguard be to close to the trem? looks to me like the edge of the trem might be getting slight stuck on the edge of the pickguard, i would get a dremel or a file, and file the pickguard so that it isnt touching the trem, i wouldent think it was doing anything GOOD anyway

hmm
2nd thort tells me that the poles are bent forward (to much pressure?) and THAT is why it is eating the pickguard, and going out of tune.

fix dem poles !

i guess im pointing out the obviose tho
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.