Hey, once i finally turn 16 and get a job i plan on splashing out some cash on my rig. I want a Valve head and cab that'll last me a while. Right now i'm pretty decided on the Orange PPC212 as a cab(or maybe the 412 version). Anways, i want a reasonably small head to go with it. At the moment i quite like the Haze (though a little bassy), Valveking (sounded muddy with it's matched cab but hopefully my cab would sort that), HT-5, (though it would need a TS9). I also plan on trying out a Tiny Terror next weekend. Any ideas? Preferably no more than ~£400. I play all genres of Rock whether it be Classic/Punk/Modern/Hardcore and a splash of metal. Favourite bands are Paramore, AC/DC, G'n'R, Old Green Day, Sum 41, Rage against the Machine, Tool, Biffy Clyro and so on.
Bugera of some sort?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I've always fancied a Bugera but my store doesn't stock them. And that's cool about the Valveking, although i haven't actually tried a PPC yet but they just appear to awesome.
I'd go for either:

Vox Night Train + Boost
Marshall Haze + Boost (Maybe boost?)
Blackhear Handsome Devil + Boost
Orange Tiny Terror + Boost
Peavey Classic 30 Head + Boost

The Valveking is not the best amp stock. If you change the tubes and do a couple other mods to it, however, it would be nice. If you can find any of the above amps used, those would be your best bet.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
That PPC212 has Vintage 30's in it right? Have you maybe considered this?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

I know people will say that the cab quality of the Orange is probably better, but it's a good deal for a V30 2x12. This would leave you some extra cash too, which could get you an even better amp. how much does wattage matter? I ask because you are looking at 5w heads as well as stuff like the Valveking. The Tiny Terror isn't a bad choice, but if you specify what you will be using your amp for (home use/gigs etc..) then it would help for better suggestions. I'm going to throw the Blackheart Hothead into the equation, as it will do everything you need apart from heavier metal. Plus, it can be brought down to 25w and has a master volume so it is pretty useable in most situations.

Also, look for used gear too. You can save a mint on some excellent gear.
Hayden MoFo. Heard so many good reports of these. Supposed to be like a HT-5 but 30w. List is about £425 but you should find some discounts around.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Well, i play in a band but it's like just a school thing and they don't really wanna get that serious (despite my ramblings), so we don't gig very often and when we do it's for like 400 people. Last time i played a Roland 15W piece of ****e and didn't even need to crank it to get over the drummer. So, it's mainly for practice and will be used for recording. Hopefully, with the cab, it will be able to gig at my level. Also, that cab you linked me to. How the feck is it £300 cheaper? build quality must be shocking or summin.
Quote by willT08
Well, i play in a band but it's like just a school thing and they don't really wanna get that serious (despite my ramblings), so we don't gig very often and when we do it's for like 400 people. Last time i played a Roland 15W piece of ****e and didn't even need to crank it to get over the drummer. So, it's mainly for practice and will be used for recording. Hopefully, with the cab, it will be able to gig at my level. Also, that cab you linked me to. How the feck is it £300 cheaper? build quality must be shocking or summin.

I doubt you'll need more than 30-50w but not less than 15w for what you use it for.

The reason the cab is so cheap is that Thomann own Harley Benton, and due to them being such a big business, they are able to put 2 V30s in a cab for less than what you would pay for the speakers on their own elsewhere.

the build quality is actually supposed to be very good with these cabs, from what I've heard from people who have them. It think you need to work auite hard to make a cab sh*t. If anything, the Orange cab is a rip off, rather than the Harley Benton being a stupendous deal. The 4x12 that Harley Benton do is still cheaper than the Orange 2x12, and that's with 4 V30s.

Thomann is also well worth looking at for amps.
That my friend, has got to be the best deal i've ever seen.

I'll look around for some reviews to check build quality
Ok. So now i'm thinking, definitely this Harley Benton G412A. I mean, 4 Celestion Vintage 30's for £273. Who wouldn't buy that? and now a head. I'm thinking a Bugera 333xl. 3 EQ's, apparently has a fair amount of gain on tap. Only problem is i wouldn't be able to play it before hand, so that's putting me off.
I'll also recommend the Hayden Mofo.

The Bugera stuff has had reliability problems in the past, and there's always the possibility of you getting an old stock head. I wouldn't do it unless I could try it first.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, i'll give you a rundown of stuff in my store.

-ValveKing Head
-HT-5
-Classic 30 (Considering)
-Haze's
-Windsor
-Tiny Terror

The HT-5 and Terror are a bit small, the Haze just doesn't sit well with me, Windsor has no cleans, and ValveKing would need a lot of costly work. So i'm left with the Classic 30 which i'm yet to try but i will next weekend, albeit the combo version.
costly work

About the only thing the Valveking needs from the get-go is new speakers (which you've covered) and an EQ pedal (maybe 80 pounds? I'm not entirely sure of UK prices) and if your pickups aren't high enough output, (or you're a gain *****) an overdrive to really get it to metal levels.

Internal mods to the amp itself aren't entirely necessary and while they DO improve the tone, they're not needed to get a good sound from the get-go.

That said, I'll still recommend the Hayden Mofo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 6, 2009,
I'd quite like the Valveking just because i've played it and quite liked it, plus that A/AB switching thing is pretty uselful. I wasn't blown away by it but that could've been the cab. Have you had any reliability problems with yours? and my guitar will have a new JB & 59 set in it before i get it probably, will that get me there in terms of gain?
Didn't wanna start a new thread asking the same question, so i'm just bumping this.
You've already came up with some, why not go out and try what you want?

On top of which, will you be getting a Harley Benton cab? If so, then let us know what your budget is so we can get a better idea of what to recommend.