Hi guys

I have a little question...

I'm now running Vista on my pc and I want to install windows 7.
If I install windows 7, are all my files and installs still there?

Lets say I have crysis installed right now. If I install windows 7, will it still be installed?

Thanks,
Roekoe
ok what about music, cuz i have vista on my laptop, ive got about 3500 songs. if i install windows 7, will i have to put all my music back on my laptop, or will it all stay there?
Quote by Iivewire
ok what about music, cuz i have vista on my laptop, ive got about 3500 songs. if i install windows 7, will i have to put all my music back on my laptop, or will it all stay there?

Depends what drive you have it on, I normally keep all my media files on another partition. And that way it stays.
You either need to create a partition on your hard drive, or back everything up and just install windows 7 (which would probably erase vista and all its settings and files)
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
No. When you install a new OS, absolutely everything on the hard drive that you are installing it on is deleted and the new OS is installed over that.

However, if you back-up all of your music, pictures, documents etc on external media, there is nothing to stop you putting it back on once the new OS has been installed. same goes for game saves if you know where to put them back onto, but the install itself won't remain.

Make sure you have disk-based copies of any software that you install so you can put it back on easily.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
probably won't stay there unless you partition your hardrive and put all your files on the partitioned hardrive, then install the OS on the other partition of the hardrive.
However, I'm not too sure. Check with someone more experienced before you take my advice
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I've used Crysalis, and isn't it just for backing up hard drives?
installing a new OS isn't covered.

If You have a Desktop PC and Laptop, I recommend copying files from your desktop PC over to the laptop that you wanna keep, then chaning the Desktop Pc to Windows 7.
Then do the same thing only opposite for your laptop.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
What are you guys talking about... All your files should be there (if you do an upgrade, and not a clean install) but before every major OS update it's still highly recommended that you back up your files, regardless of whether or not you're just doing an upgrade
It depends. If you do an upgrade yes, if you do a 'Custom Install' no
If you do a Custom Install without formatting first, everything will be moved to a folder called "Windows.old" where you can move it back into your main OS folder.
youve gut two choices:

-install windows 7 directly onto the partition with windows vista. it will NOT erase your files (namely crysis, music, etc.) but it wont be a clean install and it may lead to errors.

-backup your files (burning dvd's, copying the files to a usb drive, etc.) format the hard drive and install windows 7.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
I would like to say that every post above me is wrong.

When installing XP, yes your drive would be reformated to NTFS and everything erased. However, with Vista and 7, you can "Upgrade" which takes a while and keeps almost all your installations and files. You can also do a "Regular" install which puts all of your old files into a folder on your hard drive named "Windows.old" and you can moves things around after the installation. Most installed programs will need to be reinstalled.

You can also do a clean format if you want.

P.S. I have 5 machines running various distributions of Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, and i have probalby installed it 20 times or so...
Last edited by customisbetter at Sep 6, 2009,
Computer thread will be a bit more help buddy, try out the program "partition magic". Used that to partition my hardrive and run two OS's at once
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Computer thread will be a bit more help buddy, try out the program "partition magic". Used that to partition my hardrive and run two OS's at once

Doesn't work with Vista and up.
But you don't need it. You can just open up command prompt and run diskpart
Quote by customisbetter
I would like to say that every post above me is wrong.

When installing XP, yes your drive would be reformated to NTFS and everything erased. However, with Vista and 7, you can "Upgrade" which takes a while and keeps almost all your installations and files. You can also do a "Regular" install which puts all of your old files into a folder on your hard drive named "Windows.old" and you can moves things around after the installation. Most installed programs will need to be reinstalled.

You can also do a clean format if you want.

P.S. I have 5 machines running various distributions of Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, and i have probalby installed it 20 times or so...

Fixed to avoid confusion
Ok guys thabks a lot!
I managed to install windows 7 next to vista, dual boot.
So I can transfer my files etc.

Thanks!
Roekoe