I have a chinese copy of a Ric (although a little smaller scale) that I really love how it plays. What I don't love about it is the electronics. The pickups are horrible and it's almost impossible to adjust the volume on anything but high. I want to invest a couple hundred dollars in this guitar and put new pickups and pots in it, although I know very little about either and how the process works. I have been to guitarfetish and I have settled on the Nashville Vintage Filterton Humbucker style pickups. I like the sound of those. The guitar Im upgrading has 3 pickups and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. I know I need to order 3 pickups and they sell those in bridge and neck. Am I correct in assuming that I need 1 bridge pickup and 2 neck pickups? I was told that I should get push pull pots DPPT and I believe that is so I can wire them also to act as single pickups. Is that assumption correct? Am I correct that I need 2 push pull DPDT pots and 2 regular pots? Im not really sure of how many I need of which kind. Ive heard 2 and Ive heard 3. Is there anything else I need for this project? Even though I really do not know much about pickups Im hoping I can learn some things and pull this off.

Ive attached a photo of the guitar Im going to be working with.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cobalt

http://www.gpickups.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3&d=1252192408
Quote by Stratman1254
I have a chinese copy of a Ric (although a little smaller scale) that I really love how it plays. What I don't love about it is the electronics. The pickups are horrible and it's almost impossible to adjust the volume on anything but high. I want to invest a couple hundred dollars in this guitar and put new pickups and pots in it, although I know very little about either and how the process works. I have been to guitarfetish and I have settled on the Nashville Vintage Filterton Humbucker style pickups. I like the sound of those. The guitar Im upgrading has 3 pickups and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. I know I need to order 3 pickups and they sell those in bridge and neck. Am I correct in assuming that I need 1 bridge pickup and 2 neck pickups?

what? does the guitar have three humbuckers or something? every guitar I've seen that has three pickups is either SSS, SSH, or HSH (S is singlecoil, H is humbucker)

Quote by Stratman1254
I was told that I should get push pull pots DPPT and I believe that is so I can wire them also to act as single pickups. Is that assumption correct?

If you're using humbuckers then yes (you don't have to if you don't want to though, not worth the effort to me)

Quote by Stratman1254
Am I correct that I need 2 push pull DPDT pots and 2 regular pots? Im not really sure of how many I need of which kind. Ive heard 2 and Ive heard 3.

well, it depends. if you want to have two volume knobs, one for each humbucker, with coil-splitting, as well as two tone knobs, then yes. or you could go with two push pull volume knobs and one tone knob. or one push pull for volume, and one push pull for tone, or one push pull for volume that splits all of them and one regular tone knob etc. etc. etc.

it just depends on what you want it to do.

Quote by Stratman1254
Is there anything else I need for this project? Even though I really do not know much about pickups Im hoping I can learn some things and pull this off.

Ive attached a photo of the guitar Im going to be working with.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cobalt

http://www.gpickups.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3&d=1252192408

you'll need solder and a soldering iron (and know how to use it) and 22 awg wire (20 - 24 works, but I hear 22 is the best)

also, I don't wanta join a forum just to look at a picture
It's up to you about which pickups to use. Obviously, get a bridge pickup for the bridge, and a neck for the neck, but the middle is up to you. If you want a bit more bite and output, use a bridge model.. if you want something more mellow, use a neck pickup.

The switches/push-pull pots you need for coil splitting are DPDT.

You have three choices for how many push-pull pots to use:
1. One per pickup that you want split,
2. One to split them all,
3. One to split two, then the last to split one,

In my opinion, the easiest setup would be this:
Three regular 500K volume pots - one for each pickup,
One push-pull 500K tone pot - to control all three pickups, and split all three at once.

Also, you're going to need a 5-way switch.