Em7
A7sus4

What would you say the key is? I was jamming and really liked these two chords for a song im working on, but I cant figure out the key. Thanks!
Em - A is used in Pink Floyd's Breathe.

Key is probably E minor, making it a i - IV progression.
Quote by blue_strat
Em - A is used in Pink Floyd's Breathe.

Key is probably E minor, making it a i - IV progression.

Doesnt that mean the A woud have to be a minor chord though?
Em7= E G B D
A7sus4= A D E G

That gives us E G A B D, or the E minor pentatonic scale.
As blue_strat said it's a iv - i in the key of E minor. And the A doesn't have to be minor, since the fourth is still in Em.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
What you've given is in Em. Em - Am7 would also be in Em. With, for example, Em - A7, you're still in a sort of minor tonality, but it would probably be considered E Dorian.
Quote by grampastumpy
What you've given is in Em. Em - Am7 would also be in Em. With, for example, Em - A7, you're still in a sort of minor tonality, but it would probably be considered E Dorian.

But he's not playing A7. He's playing A7sus4. In this case it would be better named Am7sus4, since the third would almost certainly be minor if it was present. A7sus4 and Am7sus4 have the same notes, and just have different names to imply the quality of the third, if it was not a suspension.
It could be E minor or dorian. The sus4 in the A gives him more freedom to choose what type of 6th to use.
Quote by Chris189
Em7
A7sus4

What would you say the key is? I was jamming and really liked these two chords for a song im working on, but I cant figure out the key. Thanks!

Depends on the context.

Those chords exist in the signature with 2 sharps (F# & C#)........ D Major/B minor E dorian if E is your tonal center.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by isaac_bandits
But he's not playing A7. He's playing A7sus4. In this case it would be better named Am7sus4, since the third would almost certainly be minor if it was present. A7sus4 and Am7sus4 have the same notes, and just have different names to imply the quality of the third, if it was not a suspension.
He asked if the A "had to" be minor.
Quote by grampastumpy
He asked if the A "had to" be minor.

Nothing 'has to be' anything in music. Just nomenclature for what you do do is imperative.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Nothing 'has to be' anything in music. Just nomenclature for what you do do is imperative.
Hence the quote marks. I was just pointing out what would "happen" had the A had a major third.