I'm running a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster head with a Diezel 4x12 FL with Celestion V30's and Marshall 1960A 4x12 with G12-75's. My bass player suggested using the slave out on the back of the Mesa to slave a Marshall EL34 monoblock head...now, I've neer used a slave out before, so I've never understood the purpose. Does it affect your tone? Does it increase versatility? And if it does then i want to do this, but i don't know how to hook everything up. Please any information would be greatly appreciated
YAMAHA DROP 6
DIEZEL STRAIGHT FRONT 4X12 CAB
DEDICATED MONSTER CABLE USER!!!

All equipment is for sale!!! email at jennings.michael.b@gmail.com
Your line out (slave) bypasses the power amp, so you can run this amp ---> another power amp. Just take a 1/4" cable and hook it to either the poweramp, poweramp input, or even the end of your fx loop.
You could even try stacking pre-amps, I guess.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
ok so by bypassing the poweramp, would that mean i have no control over tone from the mesa, and the monoblock would control it? or does it mean i would be able to still do everything with the mesa to shape the tone and the EL34 would just shape the drive after the tone controls and everything? thats the one thing ive never been sure of...sorry im kind of a newb at this
YAMAHA DROP 6
DIEZEL STRAIGHT FRONT 4X12 CAB
DEDICATED MONSTER CABLE USER!!!

All equipment is for sale!!! email at jennings.michael.b@gmail.com
Yes, you will still have all the tone controls of your pre-amp (obviously any power mode switch, as in a Tiny Terror will have no effect), and then you will get the tone of the other power amp. I wouldn't mind running my Ampeg into a tube power amp someday, if only for kicks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
guitar > mesa preamp > marshall poweramp > cabinet. Run an instrument cable from the mesa slave out into the marshall effects loop return and you'll be set. Just be sure both heads have a load on them so nothing goes boom.