The computer thread is practically dead and I need a response before I go to best buy and speak to geek squad.

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV9610US-Entertainment-Processor-Premium/dp/B000VINRC4

This is basically my laptop except mine has 4gb of ram.

I have question with the processor, it says that I have a 1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 processor does this mean I'm running 2 processors and my total cpu power is 3.8 GHz?

How can I make certain programs (like my ps2 emulator) take advantage of the dual processors? My ps2 emulator is only using one of my processors. Is there some sort of setting I have to do before my laptop takes advantage of its dual processors? I know nothing about computers correct me if I'm wrong.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Last edited by PinoyxRockar at Sep 6, 2009,
Yes, you'll have 3.8 GHz if the program allows itself to utilize dual processors.

It isn't some system-wide thing you can turn on or off, the program needs to be able to do it.

Also, even for a dual-core, 1.9 is pretty poor...
Quote by Dirge Humani
Yes, you'll have 3.8 GHz if the program allows itself to utilize dual processors.

It isn't some system-wide thing you can turn on or off, the program needs to be able to do it.

I'm going to assume that games like Falllout 3 will be able to take advantage of my dual processors right? That's my main concern.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
that CPU is a dual core cpu, it doesn't actually work the same way as having to physically separate processors

the program has to be written with parallel processing in mind frmo the start
Quote by PinoyxRockar
I'm going to assume that games like Falllout 3 will be able to take advantage of my dual processors right? That's my main concern.

I believe most modern games can do this, but I think there was something with Fallout 3...I can't remember if it was SLI Graphics cards, or dual cores, but it had trouble with one of them...
Nvidia GeForce Go 7150 graphics (up to 287 MB of available memory)

^^ with that graphics card.... the processor is not your biggest problem
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Ice Master
Nvidia GeForce Go 7150 graphics (up to 287 MB of available memory)

^^ with that graphics card.... the processor is not your biggest problem

I already know my graphics card is horrible, thats why I'm going to geek squad later today.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by PinoyxRockar
I already know my graphics card is horrible, thats why I'm going to geek squad later today.

its a laptop

you can't really upgrade anything in there other than the harddrive and RAM
Most things are proprietary in a laptop... good luck with the "geek squad" -_-
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go for at the very least 2.4 Ghz if you want games like Fallout 3, and make sure the graphics card isn't integrated.
I just read the whole article on my laptop and realized my video card is integrated. Am I f*****?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by Dirge Humani
Well, you may be able to scrape by, since you have 4G of RAM, but your CPU would probably screw you over too.

In the future, don't buy laptops and expect to play games on them.

For the record, I got this as a birthday gift.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by Dirge Humani

Also, even for a dual-core, 1.9 is pretty poor...
No, this isn't how it works at all. You don't add the ghz. You will have a dual core 1.9GHz CPU, not a 3.8GHz CPU.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Well, you may be able to scrape by, since you have 4G of RAM, but your CPU would probably screw you over too.

In the future, don't buy laptops and expect to play games on them.
You can't just add more RAM as a replacement for a video card. It won't help you because the RAM and graphics card do completely different tasks.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley
No, this isn't how it works at all. You don't add the ghz. You will have a dual core 1.9GHz CPU, not a 3.8GHz CPU.

But if a program utilizes both of them at the same time, it is effectively a 3.8GHz.
Quote by Masonpwiley

You can't just add more RAM as a replacement for a video card. It won't help you because the RAM and graphics card do completely different tasks.

this. u have 2 cores working on 2 different problems at once, but if a problem requires to be done in a certain time, it can only move as fast as one core. u have 2 calculations being done at 1.9ghz, not 3.8.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Dirge Humani
But if a program utilizes both of them at the same time, it is effectively a 3.8GHz.
No it isn't. It just doesn't work that way. No program will 100% max out both cores and use them efficiently. GHz isn't a good metric anyway. A 3GHz Pentium 4 is much, much slower than an 2.66GHz i7.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
this. u have 2 cores working on 2 different problems at once, but if a problem requires to be done in a certain time, it can only move as fast as one core. u have 2 calculations being done at 1.9ghz, not 3.8.

so am I screwed?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
As the other said, yes it becomes a 3.8 Ghz computer if a program utilizes both processors.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I believe most modern games can do this, but I think there was something with Fallout 3...I can't remember if it was SLI Graphics cards, or dual cores, but it had trouble with one of them...

To make Fallout 3 compatible with Dual Cores or Quad Cores you had to edit some parameter in fallout.ini. Or else the game would crash a lot and get stuck randomly.
Quote by PinoyxRockar
so am I screwed?
If the program you are using isn't multi-threaded, you can't do anything about it. Multithreaded means it spits different tasks into different threads. Each thread can run on a separate core. Each core can't run only part of a thread, so if it is single threaded, it is limited to a single core.

So if your CPU is too slow to run it, then yes you are screwed. It might not be working because you have integrated graphics though, not because of your CPU.

Quote by Limaj_daas
As the other said, yes it becomes a 3.8 Ghz computer if a program utilizes both processors.
As xxunder-takerxx and I have explained, it doesn't work like that.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Limaj_daas

It's only as fast as the fastest core, it doesn't captain planet combine both cores into some really fast core. Having 2 cores just decreases the workload since both cores can work on different things.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Masonpwiley
If the program you are using isn't multi-threaded, you can't do anything about it. Multithreaded means it spits different tasks into different threads. Each thread can run on a separate core. Each core can't run only part of a thread, so if it is single threaded, it is limited to a single core.

So if your CPU is too slow to run it, then yes you are screwed. It might not be working because you have integrated graphics though, not because of your CPU.

I hate this laptop. Thanks for the info though greatly appreciate it.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent

wrong. if a game requires 2.0 ghz+, a dual core 1.9ghz will not be up to the task. each calculation is only done in ONE core, but a dual core is doing 2 problems at once, as opposed to a single core doing one calculation at its set speed.

some games will say they need either 3ghz+ or dual core 2.0ghz+. if it can only handle one issue at once, it needs to be fast, but if it can do more than one at a time, it doesnt need to be as fast, but still at a certain speed.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Dirge Humani

Fallout 3's patch broke the quad-core support. There is a tweak for it that works very well for it though.